Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
We'll be up at around 7300 ft. in about six weeks. I'm looking at sea level out the patio window right now, and it's 83 here.....so it's manageable.
Your place is up in the northern part of Colorado isn't it?
I really like the base of Wolf Creek Pass. Its about the same elevation and there is a Wilderness area to backpack into with hot springs up on San Juan River and up to the Continental Divide Trail. The trail head is kind of below the last run away truck ramp before getting off the mountain.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you are looking for a private RV park. I would HIGHLY recommend the Alpen Rose RV Park. Just 2 miles north of Durango. Beautiful setting and nice folks. But you better make reservations. I've stayed there a number of times and it has always been a positive experience.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Bob View Post
Yup, it sure is nice and comfortable here in the western Colorado mountains during the summer. But in the winter, now maybe we will have to head down Texas way!
You know that Texas used to go into Colorado between the Arkansas and Rio Grand River and then a strip about 100 miles wide went up the middle of Colorado into Wyoming.

I think they changed the boundries when Texas became a state or around 1846. So Colorado has been full of Texans for quite a few years.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Lakeway , Texas
Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm having fun planning our trip north!
2goldens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I'm from Austin and live part time in Durango - I've done that trip many many times and the easiest/fastest is shoot up 183 to I-20 and up through Lubbock/Clovis Albq and 550 to Durango. I 35 is way out of the way, as is I 10 - Brady is not a stright shot

As far as Campgrounds - Alpen Rose gets all the great ratings from TL, but I like United across the street MUCH better - its on the river and narrow gauge tracks

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #26
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmith View Post
Your place is up in the northern part of Colorado isn't it?
Yeah. It's about three miles or so south of the Wyoming border, and off a spur road from the Overland Trail into the Red Mountain area. We're in the triangle between Laramie, Cheyenne, and Fort Collins. We're thinking of putting full hookups in the middle of it, and pouring a slab. It's not a cheap thing.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Well thanks for explaining why we saw so many motorhomes and trailers from Texas last summer. We spent a few days in Lake City, Co. It's a easy day drive from Durango. If you have a 4x4 tow vehicle you can hit the jeep trails in the high Rock Mt. passes. A spectacular trip out of Lake City. You won't be diappointed if you take it.

Don't try it with the AS in tow.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
We were lucky enough to land a campsite in Lake City a few years back and rented a Jeep locally for the day and really enjoyed the Alpine Loop. We started to make the annual trek to Colorado from Texas in 1980 when we had the last serious heatwave here. Like many our age, we could only get a couple of weeks off each summer. 1st observation, there are many areas where you'll see more TX license plates than CO. 2nd observation, it is really easy to acclimate to the cool days and chilly nights in the high country, but a real downer to make the trip back to Texas to find it's still over 100 back home. Looking forward to the time when we can go and come back and never see the mercury above 90! Happy trails ya'll.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15
. . . we spent a night at Fun Valley years ago and unless something has changed it's the most crowded campground we have ever stayed in and because of the way it sits in the valley, all the campfire smoke just hangs in the air. There are people who love it and go back year after year but maybe I just like to stretch in the morning without putting my hand up against the next camper.
We have some friends who spend the entire summer each year at Fun Valley. We decided to spend a week there once with them to find out what was so special... 800 campsites shoehorned together! The good and the bad - the closest Walmart is over an hour away. I guess I just didn't get it. But there are a bunch of folks who must because the place stays at near capacity for the entire season.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Yeah. It's about three miles or so south of the Wyoming border, and off a spur road from the Overland Trail into the Red Mountain area. We're in the triangle between Laramie, Cheyenne, and Fort Collins. We're thinking of putting full hookups in the middle of it, and pouring a slab. It's not a cheap thing.
I had a trailer blow onto its side on I 25 around the state line in 1969. There was an old Cowboy in Cheyenne that worked on skinning Airstreams.

Last time I was up there all of those passes were dirt until you got down to Estes Park.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Speaking of campgrounds at the base of Wolf Creek Pass . . . we spent a night at Fun Valley years ago and unless something has changed it's the most crowded campground we have ever stayed in and because of the way it sits in the valley, all the campfire smoke just hangs in the air. There are people who love it and go back year after year but maybe I just like to stretch in the morning without putting my hand up against the next camper.

I have never even turned in there. I left the West Fork of Wolf Creek Campground which is just below Treasure Falls about 20 years ago and went toward the summit and took a logging road back into the mountain on my way back home. There were some really beautiful secluded campsites in there It went all the way into New Mexico and ended up just north of Chama I think.
The campground that was so nice has been closed because of contaminated water from what I understand.
We used to meet about 15 Texas families in there every summer. We all met at the campground.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
If you are headed to Durango go west to Cortez and then head up past Delores to Priest Gulch. There is a very nice CG there by the same name. We drive from Florida to spend a month there every year. Usually the only toaster there. Up past Priest Gulch near Rico are several very nice USFS campgrounds.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
one thing i will add....watch for cops on the pagosa side of the pass near the summit..they've been having themselves all kinds of speeding ticket fun up there lately
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #34
Rivet Master

We are in our summer home in Grand Lake Colorado. There are two commercial, two electric forest service campgrounds and one non electric forest service campground.
There is also lots of free, no services dispersed camping in the nearby national forests west of Hwy 34.
There is one park service campground on the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park that is nearly always full.
Plenty of room once the 4th of July weekend is over.
It is 8400 feet and temps will go into the low 80's on a warm day and down into the high to mid 40's.
There is lots to see and do.
We are 110 miles NW of Denver. Take Interstate 70, to U.S. 40, to U.S. 34 at Granby. Or, I-25 to State 66 or U.S. 34 N. of Denver and U.S. 34 through Rocky Mountain National Park. Your rig must be adequate and some experience in mountain driving would be helpful because the high point of this route is 12,400 feet.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I agree completely with handn. There are many opportunities near Grand Lake. The town has many shops and restaurants. There's a public beach and boat rentals are available. There are many BLM campgrounds in the forests that surround the 3 interconnected lakes. We've used one of the private RV parks just outside of town and was very satisfied with them. Sadly, the beetles have devastated the Lodgepole pines that were dominant in the forests. Until recently, the Timbercreek campground inside RMNP was a shady retreat, now it is open meadow in full sun, but the valley floor at 9000' between snow capped peaks is pleasant during the day and downright chilly at night. Bring your sunscreen, the UV at those elevations is intense.

In recent years they have widened US 40 between Empire and Winter Park providing for 2 climbing lanes and 1 downhill lane each way. There are several switchbacks on this route that are not particularly a problem if you pay attention to your TT tire tracking. Use lower gears going up and coming down and a properly maintained TV should have no problems on this route.

An alternate route that avoids Berthoud Pass is to come in from Kremmling west of Granby. For many, this might be a longer route, but much of the climbing would be on I-70.

I have trailered across to the other side of RMNP on Trail Ridge Road, but was younger and the trailer was smaller. It too is a good road, but experience and confidence along with well maintained equipment are priorities.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #36
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Made it to Durango. Only place to camp is Walmart. The weather is cool though!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Made it to Durango. Only place to camp is Walmart. The weather is cool though!
Its still hot here. 100 in Houston. Hope you find a good place to camp soon.
Wish I was up there but decided to go for total restoration on the Excella and its too hot to work on at the moment. I tried early in the week but with the heat and humidity its just to hot to work on more than late afternoon.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Natalia , Texas
We will be leaving for CO on Tuesday pulling a SOB, not to rub it in but this time we don't have to come back, sold the house and from CO we will head out to parts unknown.

Safe Travels
Bill
wohtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #39
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Just left Ridgway State Park after staying there for almost a week. WOW, you talk about beat the heat weather. Just beautiful. I left central Texas and went to California first so I can't help you with the best route to Colorado but I will say the weather has been great! Left Ridgway and drove the Million Dollar Highway----YIKES, scary but I took it slow. Drove thru Durango on my way to Pagosa Springs. It was warm but nothing compared to Austin. I am in Blanco River RV park outside Pagosa Springs. VERY NICE and cool. Slept with windows open and 3 blankets. Hiked the Continental Divide today at Wolf Creek Pass. ALL the license plates there were from TEXAS! ha Looks like lots of people from TX are here. Later this week I am headed to Creede, CO to stay at Mountain View RV park. All I can say is book your spot. It is really getting crowded up here in CO due to so many people trying to escape the unbearable heat. Good luck!
kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #40
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey, Yankee Doodle. Glad you enjoyed it. We tow with a Dodge megacab 4x4. We made the loop without any problems, even with our long wheelbase. There are other trails there in the high country that they specifically advise nothing larger than a short wheelbase jeep type. I have enough sense to see the handwriting on that one. But the Alpine Loop is a spectacular ride. I'd love to do it again one of these days. Or at least try some other backcountry trails. The campground we stayed at rents jeeps. They owner looked at my truck and shook his head. He felt we could make it, no problem, over the Engineer Pass trail but was not too sure about the return trip through the other pass due to the length. But we gave it a go and made it without any issues. A few swithbacks and having to back up but made it. A great experience.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote