Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Aug-Sept to Gaspe

Greetings, All -

Page and I are planning a trip heading north to the Finger Lakes, Niagara Falls and then up through Ontario and Quebec to the Gaspe' Peninsula. Most of this is new territory for us.

We'll be carrying our kayaks and plan to spend most of Aug and Sept on the road.

If any of you road warriors have suggestions, we'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks - Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Pat,
When you are in the Finger Lakes region there are lots of wineries and wine trails to take in. Also the Corning Glass Works in Corning is worth a stop. The last time were at Lake Seneca we stayed at the Lake Seneca KOA, it was OK and I think they have since made some improvements.

In Hammondsport, NY you can take in the Glenn Curtis Museum.

There is also the National Soaring Museum in Elmira where you can go for a sailplane ride.

Lots and lots of stuff to do in PA and NY, too much to mention.

Have a fun and safe trip.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Greetings, All -

Page and I are planning a trip heading north to the Finger Lakes, Niagara Falls and then up through Ontario and Quebec to the Gaspe' Peninsula. Most of this is new territory for us.

We'll be carrying our kayaks and plan to spend most of Aug and Sept on the road.

If any of you road warriors have suggestions, we'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks - Pat
If you are entering Ontario at Niagara Falls, and if you have time to take it in, I would suggest a short detour off the main road (Queen Elizabeth Way)
to spend a couple of hours at the small town of Niagara on the Lake.

Like Niagara Falls Ont., it is a bit of a tourist attraction, but whereas Niagara Falls is somewhat tacky (nothing wrong with that now and then!)
Niagara on the Lake is a very attractive little town with lots of nice homes and a main street jammed from one end to the other with great little specialty shops, restaurants and the like.

There is actually a scenic drive that will take you from the City of Niagara Falls into Niagara on the Lake right along the river's edge. It would be well worth taking if your schedule permits - lots of picnic spots along the way.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks, folks. As for places being "touristy" - fine with me; I'm a tourist!

In the finger lakes area, we'd like to be someplace where we can launch the kayaks and just nose around. I love to watch the bottom going by, in the shallows. And daytrip the area - thanks for the suggestions.

As for Niagara Falls, I hope to spend enough time there to see both sides and do all the touristy things we can stand. Maid of the Mist, that sort of thing.

So - any campy, trite, silly suggestions anyone has are welcome. We are easily entertained.

Pat
Old 05-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
When you get to the Gaspé, and if you want a laugh, ask the locals where the "rocher perforé" is. It's pronounced like this: raw-shay pair-four-eh ("eh" as in "day"). They will immediately correct you insisting that's it's the rocher percé. (raw-shay pair-say)

It drives them wild, but if you smile they'll fall over laughing once they see your joke.

Wonderful people down there, by the way, you'll have a blast!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Now I have a mission.

Thanks, Aage.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
On second thought...

Welcome! La Gaspésie is a wonderfully beautiful area to tour.

Now, I don't know how much time you have, but you are only a hop and a skip from Prince Edward Island, which is a simply gorgeous place to tour. It's actually quite small, too, and very tourist friendly.

This is the island where the Anne of Green Gables was set, also the home of the Canadian Confederation. Charlottetown was where the Fathers of Confederation met and haggled out a country! It's another doll-house lovely place.

PEI is accessible by the Confederation Bridge, which is the world's longest bridge (8 miles) or by the ferries that operate out of the south end of the island. When we travelled there, we entered by the bridge and left by the ferry. The bridge would be about C$56 return for your trailer and a two-axle TV.

The ferry from PEI goes to Nova Scotia, another small but lovely Province, from which you can take other ferries to either Bar Harbor or Portland, Maine.

It might make an interesting way to travel home, now that I think of it. The Gaspé down to PEI, then to Nova Scotia, and off to Maine.

It's all time-related of course. But you have to admit that travelling in an AS is a gas!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think you're channeling our itinerary thinking. I had even given some thought to Newfoundland but...

I think we'll have plenty of time to drift a bit. We went up to Fundy a couple of years ago, even to the south end of the confed bridge on that trip, and have planned to go back when we could spend some more time.

Thanks for your ideas.

By the way - we've never been to Ontario; looking forward to exploring up there a bit, too.

Pat
Old 06-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
A Place To Stand, a Place to Grow, Ontar-i-ar-i-ar-i-o!

Hey, Ontario is fun, too! A lot of the tourist attractions are in Toronto (like the CN Tower), but don't miss out on the biways, too.

As Wingeezer pointed out, Niagara On The Lake is quite pleasant, and on the way out of that area, watch for signs to the Niagara Gorge. There's a parkway drive along side it, and it's full of many stunningly beautiful views. Most people find it gorgeous, pun intended.

Kingston is a city worth spending some time in, if you take the 401 to get to Quebéc (hard not to). It was once the capital, and is chock full of historical sites, such as Old Fort Henry.

There is a boat tour of the 1,000 Islands at Gananoque (west of Kingston) that would likely still be running depending on when you get there. Look up Boldt Castle, a very interesting turn of the last century love story...

At the very least, there is another "parkway drive" called the "1,000 Islands Parkway", that you shouldn't miss. Again, well worth the slight detour (when it ends you are back on the 401 again).

There just isn't enough time to see and do it all!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks again for the advice. Haven't been on the road since early Nov - I'm really getting antsy to get moving (for pleasure, that is) again.

Pat