Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Attracting Unwanted Attention

On Monday, we towed our 2010 31 Classic using our new 2011 Ford F250 CC 4x4 (yes, it's silver) from Rockport, TX to the AS dealership in Buda, TX. During the 220+ miles, strIght up I-37/I-35, we were nearly run off of the road 3 separate times by other drivers that were looking at our rig. Numerous other times I noticed other drivers riding right beside the trailer. I could see them in my mirrors. They were all looking, or should I say gawking. I was running 65-70 mph most of the way. At first, I thought there was something wrong. So, I pulled over at a gas station to take a look. Everything was fine.

I finally came to the conclusion that we must be the finest looking thing on the road. Don't get me wrong. I'm not bragging. I definitely don't want that much attention.

From here on out I'll be sticking with the 2 lane roads in order to eliminate these situations.

Be careful out there. Most drivers are paying too much attention to other things instead of what they are doing. I usually say "They don't have time to drive".

AirHedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Attracting Unwanted Attention

Greetings AirHedz!

Airstreams do seem to bring out the gawkers, and a remarkable tow vehicle whether brand new or vintage only adds to the probability of attracting gawkers. It may appear to be less likely to happen on secondary roads, but two things work against that theory - - many secondary roads do not have shoulders or they are very narrow - - often, secondary roads have narrower lanes than Interstates meaning that oncoming gawker has less room for driver error before hitting your rig.

My 2008 adventure towing my Vintage Argosy Minuet with my Vintage Cadillac Eldorado convertible from Illinois to Montana and return produced plenty of gawkers. Probably because my coach is much narrower than modern coaches, I rarely felt crowded in my lane by gawkers.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
You might want to try running under cover of darkness . . . mostly kidding but I noticed that when we did the stretch of I-45 from Corsicana to Dallas last week after dark that it wasn't an issue, or maybe I just didnt see the gawkers as well. But the rest of our week long trip to Port Aransas, (including sailing by Camper Clinic in Rockport) was on secondary roads and only had a couple of occasions when other drivers were an issue and those seemed to be more of the tailgating out of my field of vision.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Is it illegal to put those big red BioHazard Warning stickers on a trailer? just curious.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Well let's see, only if you keep your waste tanks empty all the time, otherwise . . . .
Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
With any travel on multilane roads there will be occasional problems with other drivers who remain in awkward locations, tailgating, riding alongside, etc. I encounter this all the time.

With proper hitch rigging the truck and trailer should be stable enough to allow you to respond to such situations with confidence and control.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Not surprised this was reported out of South Texas. Language and culture. If there's a wreck they'll slow to 25-mph on the Interstate in anticipation of ghoulish entertainment. And sit in the left lane otherwise. Brainless. They'll also speed right along up to your rear bumper . . and sit there. Change lanes, (either one to either one) and they'll speed back up. Night-time is even worse.

Were it me I'd run 181 all the way to San Marcos. There's oilfield traffic but those drivers know how to move along. Plus, one can have lunch at BARTH's in Karnes City if planned correctly (and plenty of parking nearby; we park 18-wheelers around there).

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Is it illegal to put those big red BioHazard Warning stickers on a trailer? just curious.
That is an excellent idea!!!

I'm not sure if it is actually legal or not. I have a CDL with hazmat endorsement. So, I should know, but I don't.

On second thought: the stickers would probably be ok as long as you don't use the official DOT placards.

If you do you better have all of your paperwork with you, and it better be right!
AirHedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
How about a sticker that says . . . Don't follow too closely, you never know when we might feel the urge to flush!

What the tailgaters and gawkers don't know won't hurt them.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We are quite used to folks taking a hard look at our '47 Chevy Street Rod towing our polished Caravel. Sometimes they do spend what seems like an eternity driving next to us taking photos and looking. They usually just move on, giving a "thumbs up" as they pass.
I do have to be careful not to let them crowd to the right as they sometimes do.

Getting out of a gas or food stop is another matter. They will ask "What year is it?" I will answer, "The car or the trailer?" It can go on until the next meal time.

But, that's OK. They enjoy seeing the combination and we enjoy driving it.

We did have a trucker pull along side, I think we were heading east in Wyoming, and hold up his CB wanting to talk. He said "I saw you guys in Pennsylvania last year". He was right.

Fun stuff.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHedz View Post

I'm not sure if it is actually legal or not. I have a CDL with hazmat endorsement. So, I should know, but I don't.

On second thought: the stickers would probably be ok as long as you don't use the official DOT placards.

If you do you better have all of your paperwork with you, and it better be right!

I like "Armadillo Field Laboratory Courtesy of the Leprosy Institute"
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I suppose we should be flattered, but it must get tiresome, especially at RV parks/campgrounds. I haven't been anywhere yet so can't vouch for any first-hand experience. Air Streams are relatively rare in Canada, so it might even be worse here.

The tail-gating would bug me the most. Maybe AS should offer the "Bond, James Bond" option. We flick a switch, and nails are spewed from the bumper.

Saw a neat non-AS rig the other day that attracted a lot of attention. A 1956 red Chevy towing a cute vintage red and white little Shasta trailer with red-gingham curtains. Cute as a button!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
I always get a kick out of the passenger in the car beside us with their neck turned at a full 90 to the right while they pass.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHedz View Post

Doesn't the stuff in the black tank qualify?