Old 06-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
AIRHed
Well I guess you just have to get used to it. Ya just dont see that many AIRSTREAMS on the road and people are curious by nature. Keep you eye on the mirror and you will be fine. You can catch them in your mirrow if the drift to close and make the approiate correction. Slow down a little and maybe they will pass.
GOOD LUCK GLAD YA JOINED the GROUP

7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
On the trip back, I got asked questions at stops more often than I didn't. I decided that if I ever owned a trailer this attention-getting, I'd just do a pre-printed flyer with a couple of photos and the basic information, and a link to... airforums.com

Old 06-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
We see it as fun times also and always wave back or have conversation if stopped.

The times I don't like it is when someone passes then get in front and slow down. Just last night we saw a clip on tv where some lawyers were actually paying people to do that and cause accidents only to scam the insurance companies.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
As stated above, we get the same "lookie-Lu's" and often get questions at gas stops. At one in Arizona there was a German hitch-hiker tourist and he was fascinated by our AS. He took maybe a dozen pictures of the outside. I know he was dying to ask to look inside but he didn't and I didn't offer. By the way, I was camping in Kemmerer, WY a few years ago and a monster Mercedes bus thingy drove up next to me and about 20 people got out. Next thing I knew they had converted the "bus" into a giant hotel with outside indivdual entrances. Some dude opend up a lower compartment and all of their cooking facilities came out. They fixed a big meal, washed clothes, took showers, lit a fire, visited and all went to bed. These were mixed middle aged men and women from Germany, tourists, and it didn't look like they were necessarily together. I took a bunch of pictures but haven't found them in a while.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
The story of people nearly hitting you is scary - haven't had that happen but I've only towed ours a couple hundred miles so far! I've never had it happen with the B190 - but I think people are more like, "WTF IS THAT!?" instead of, "Look! An Airstream!"

We have gotten the questions, thumbs ups, etc already, though, less than a month into Airstream trailer ownership. It even happened as we were bringing it home the first time. Like I told some friends of mine: One of the requirements for owning an Airstream is that you have to be willing to show it off. Even our neighbors that never had a camper and will never want a camper wanted a tour of it.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
I have unfortunately caused a couple of accidents while driving my 1950 Studebaker. Both times it was senior citizens who were very excited to see the old car. Now when I see somebody pull alongside I just slow down and force them to go ahead.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
That is one Bodatious Studie!! I am really jealous!! Those Studies are the best IMHO.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Being a novice at towing, I tend to take things easy. I rarely exceed the speed limit but, as I'm finding out, sticking to the speed limit causes other drivers great angst. Every trip out I'm plagued with tailgaters, traveling way too close to my bumper leaving me with just their shadow on the road to indicate their presence, and me with an excellent set of extended mirrors, too. I know Airstreams are great to look at but I don't think people need to look that closely! I noticed one driver have to veer off onto the shoulder when I braked a little harder than usual; who will be the first to run into the back of me I wonder?
I've always wanted to rig a switch so that I can light my brake lights without hitting the brakes; not sure how the cops would look at that modification.....

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Sometimes just turning on the parking lights works.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Being a novice at towing, I tend to take things easy. I rarely exceed the speed limit but, as I'm finding out, sticking to the speed limit causes other drivers great angst. Every trip out I'm plagued with tailgaters, traveling way too close to my bumper leaving me with just their shadow on the road to indicate their presence, and me with an excellent set of extended mirrors, too. I know Airstreams are great to look at but I don't think people need to look that closely! I noticed one driver have to veer off onto the shoulder when I braked a little harder than usual; who will be the first to run into the back of me I wonder?
I've always wanted to rig a switch so that I can light my brake lights without hitting the brakes; not sure how the cops would look at that modification.....
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Why didn't I think of that? Doh!

TY Bill

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:48 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
mount a rubber pole pointed at the drivers behind you ;-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #40
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Stick to the speed you want. The upper speed limit is so rarely appropriate for a combination vehicle that it almost doesn't exist for travel purposes. Braking distance -- for you -- is the decisive factor, IMO. That the others cannot and will not learn their responsibilities versus the privilege they believe it is why we must do our best. It is the only defense. Get your hitch rigging perfected, and, with the best brake controller and some driving practice one learns that passivity in the face of this boorishness is not appropriate. (And record license plates).

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
People are attracted to shiny things..

I hired my brother to polish my 58 flying cloud. He spends more time being stopped by people and explaining the process then he does actually polishing. Good thing I am paying him by the foot and not by the hour!
Old 07-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHedz View Post
On Monday, we towed our 2010 31 Classic using our new 2011 Ford F250 CC 4x4 (yes, it's silver) from Rockport, TX to the AS dealership in Buda, TX. During the 220+ miles, strIght up I-37/I-35, we were nearly run off of the road 3 separate times by other drivers that were looking at our rig. Numerous other times I noticed other drivers riding right beside the trailer. I could see them in my mirrors. They were all looking, or should I say gawking. I was running 65-70 mph most of the way. At first, I thought there was something wrong. So, I pulled over at a gas station to take a look. Everything was fine.

I finally came to the conclusion that we must be the finest looking thing on the road. Don't get me wrong. I'm not bragging. I definitely don't want that much attention.

From here on out I'll be sticking with the 2 lane roads in order to eliminate these situations.

Be careful out there. Most drivers are paying too much attention to other things instead of what they are doing. I usually say "They don't have time to drive".
You bought the wrong trailer if you want to avoid attention. Airstreams are head-turners where ever you go.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote