Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 08:35 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Just like Airstreams, there can be benefit in buying scopes and astronomy gear that has been gently used. Most amateur astronomers take excellent care of their equipment. The best place to find used astronomy equipment is AstroMart.com. I'm not affiliated, but have bought and sold hundreds of items there. Regards, Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Williams Optics WO 71 ED.
No, not in the same class as a Televue APO, just ED glass not true 1/4 wave apochromatic like the Televue.

I doubt you can do better than Televue glass and optic designs from Al Nagler.

However an expensive apochromatic may not be your best option. A lot depends on what you want to do. If you just want to star gaze, then astro-binoculars are a better choice. If you want to do astrophotography then you will need to spend more money on the mount. Mounts are most important for photography.

If you don't care about portability and astrophotography then a dobsonian reflector is your best bang for the buck.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
No, not in the same class as a Televue APO, just ED glass not true 1/4 wave apochromatic like the Televue.

I doubt you can do better than Televue glass and optic designs from Al Nagler.

However an expensive apochromatic may not be your best option. A lot depends on what you want to do. If you just want to star gaze, then astro-binoculars are a better choice. If you want to do astrophotography then you will need to spend more money on the mount. Mounts are most important for photography.

If you don't care about portability and astrophotography then a dobsonian reflector is your best bang for the buck.
Having compared a Televue TV76 with the WO 71 ED at a star party made me choose the WO. Definetly the same or slightly better view.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
not to tangent too badly off of equipment, my thoughts turned to red filters on our puck lights and the best way to go about it...

I know how to remove the puck light holder to get at the lens -- I am curious as to how soon, doing that regularly (3+ x a month,) would I wear out the brackets. Has anyone done this routinely to prep their TT for star parties or private viewing nights? Any suggestions where to find either pre-made red puck lenses or a suitable material (guessing simply red film and wrap the existing lens, hoping the LEDs don't produce enough heat to melt or burn the result...)

The "wall sconce" lamps I can just get straight forward red LEDs for and change those out on demand. Indeed, it may be easiest to do that, and maybe the stove fan light as well and call it that, not turning any other lights on during the viewing schedule... maybe a red nightlight in the bathroom.

Finally, anyone go so far as to install LEDs and switches capable of producing a variable color spectrum? Ultimately that would seem best; that for star parties I can do pure red throughout the TT, for other times pure/soft white as needed and in the post-sunset light with absence of blue to not throw off my diurnal rhythms...

cheers, thanks,

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Having compared a Televue TV76 with the WO 71 ED at a star party made me choose the WO. Definetly the same or slightly better view.
For visual you might not see that big of a difference (depends on your vision).

However if you do any astrophotography, you will immediately see the difference. ED glass in a refractor is not a true apochromatic refractor. Only a true apochromatic refractor will bring different wavelengths of light into focus.

If your eyes are color sensitive you will see purple & yellow fringes of color around bright objects. Cameras will pick up even more color fringing.

The added cost of the Televue is due to it being much more complex to create a true apochromatic lens. All EDs will be cheaper.

This has nothing to do with Televue vs Williams vs AstroPhysics vs Celestron.
This has to do with Apochromatic lens vs non-apochromatic lens.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Red Lights in the Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
not to tangent too badly off of equipment, my thoughts turned to red filters on our puck lights and the best way to go about it...

I know how to remove the puck light holder to get at the lens -- I am curious as to how soon, doing that regularly (3+ x a month,) would I wear out the brackets. Has anyone done this routinely to prep their TT for star parties or private viewing nights? Any suggestions where to find either pre-made red puck lenses or a suitable material (guessing simply red film and wrap the existing lens, hoping the LEDs don't produce enough heat to melt or burn the result...)

The "wall sconce" lamps I can just get straight forward red LEDs for and change those out on demand. Indeed, it may be easiest to do that, and maybe the stove fan light as well and call it that, not turning any other lights on during the viewing schedule... maybe a red nightlight in the bathroom.

Finally, anyone go so far as to install LEDs and switches capable of producing a variable color spectrum? Ultimately that would seem best; that for star parties I can do pure red throughout the TT, for other times pure/soft white as needed and in the post-sunset light with absence of blue to not throw off my diurnal rhythms...

cheers, thanks,

Ian
Ian, I think you don't need to convert very many lights, and there are enough on the TT to allow for both white and red. My practice is not to continually replace the lights, but put red filters into the reading lights only. if I need to use the table I would use a red flashlight. I don't have LEDs, but they have not got too hot - the original lens I think is plastic anyway.

As for lighting, I use a red LED variable light form Orion, and for the red filter material I use SOLYX: SXP-RC300 Medical from decorative films. 1x or 2x thickness and you have an awesome dark adaption saving light level.

Bathroom - I guess you bring a red flashlight.
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Sometimes the search feature does work! I was wondering how many astronomers armature or professional there might be on the forums. Been wanting to get a good scope for a long time but cash and time just didn't justify a purchase. Then I find that good Dobsonians are now available at a reasonable price and I do have the time to camp in the dark areas sometimes! After spending days on the web looking at scope reviews and recommendations, lots of good reviews here http://www.scopereviews.com/ I made a purchase. Bought a Zhumell Z12, it should be here today.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Wow -- solid tube -- THAT's going to take up some truck bed space . One reason I go with a truss system; stores compact. BUT -- that is a VERY nice price on a scope. Are you going to drop it onto an equatorial mount at some point for drive tracking?
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:01 AM   #49
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Wow nice!