Old 06-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Really?? Where the wild horses are??

I thought I remembered turning around at the bridge. We'll have to go back, research a bit.

One of the disadvantages of day-to-day planning, as we generally do, is that sometimes there are surprises.

Maggie
Hi Maggie,
Pets are permitted in the Maryland section of the federal park, but not in the Virginia section (no campgrounds there, anyway), but are prohibited in the following areas:
- all backcountry campsites
- nature trails
- lifeguard-protected beach
- north of the State Park to the Ocean City inlet

I recall camping there with friends about a year or so ago, and they had their dog with them. I understand the rangers are rather strict about the leash law, though. If you're interested, here is a link to a PDF explaining the campground regulations:

http://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisi...campregs09.pdf

It really is a beautiful park.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We travel with our two dogs, so we checked out the dog policy and we are OK in the Maryland part of the seashore.

Planning on the bugs- have dealt with them in Alaska many times.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
One enhancement to Silver Rangers detailed post; if you are visiting in the "off season" it is my experience that dogs are allowed on the beach during that time (maybe Oct - March or so?). I bring this up as dogs tend to love the beach and folks enjoy being able let them mess about in the water.

It is also worth noting that privately owned horses are always allowed at the National Seashore. They even have a "corral" area where folks can park their campers and horse trailers. I think it would be really cool to ride on the beach.

Doug & Maggie, maybe you were down at Chincoteague on the Virginia side of the park. It is about a one hour drive south (as the car drives, not as the crow flies....) of the Maryland entrance to the park. As Silver Ranger mentioned, dogs are not allowed in that area. Chincoteague is the place famous for the pony swim and sale, put on by the local fire department. Bear in mind though, that the ponies are found up and down the island. When camping on the Maryland side,they will stick there head in your trailer looking for food if you leave the door opened. The rangers have gotten more and more strick however about enforcing the "no touch"/ interaction rules with the horses. People have been know to do some stupid stuff with these wild animals. Similar to, but usually not as dangerous as what folks do in Yellowstone with the bears.

Remember if you have pets, you need to stay at Assateague National Seashore, NOT the Maryland state park where dogs are not allowed.

Also, bear in mind that while Assateague STATE park has flush toilets and hot showers, the National Seashore has "pit toilets" and cold "outdoor" showers. I much prefer the National Seashore myself, it's a much bigger park (the state park is carved out of the National Park, it has more nature trails and the campsites (IMHO are nicer/generally more private and natural. That said, the state park is fine, and I have stayed there when the National Park was booked (many more sites in the state park). Furthermore, the state park has one loop ("H" I believe) that has 30amp hookups. No water or sewer hookups though. During the "high" season the electric sites are generally booked 6 months to a year ahead, especially during for the weekends. It is also (to me) a pain getting out of the state park on a Sunday morning as the line at the dump station can be quite long. Usually not a problem at the National Park as they don't have as many sites so not as many RVs, plus they have 2 dump stations, one on the oceanside and one on the Bayside.

A couple of photos (one from last year pre-polish, one from this spring post-polish and one of the fantastic sunsets you get on the bayside).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0639.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	160699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0694.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	160700  

Name:	IMG_1421.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	160701  
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
One enhancement to Silver Rangers detailed post; if you are visiting in the "off season" it is my experience that dogs are allowed on the beach during that time (maybe Oct - March or so?). I bring this up as dogs tend to love the beach and folks enjoy being able let them mess about in the water.

It is also worth noting that privately owned horses are always allowed at the National Seashore. They even have a "corral" area where folks can park their campers and horse trailers. I think it would be really cool to ride on the beach.

Doug & Maggie, maybe you were down at Chincoteague on the Virginia side of the park. It is about a one hour drive south (as the car drives, not as the crow flies....) of the Maryland entrance to the park. As Silver Ranger mentioned, dogs are not allowed in that area. Chincoteague is the place famous for the pony swim and sale, put on by the local fire department. Bear in mind though, that the ponies are found up and down the island. When camping on the Maryland side,they will stick there head in your trailer looking for food if you leave the door opened. The rangers have gotten more and more strick however about enforcing the "no touch"/ interaction rules with the horses. People have been know to do some stupid stuff with these wild animals. Similar to, but usually not as dangerous as what folks do in Yellowstone with the bears.

Remember if you have pets, you need to stay at Assateague National Seashore, NOT the Maryland state park where dogs are not allowed.

Also, bear in mind that while Assateague STATE park has flush toilets and hot showers, the National Seashore has "pit toilets" and cold "outdoor" showers. I much prefer the National Seashore myself, it's a much bigger park (the state park is carved out of the National Park, it has more nature trails and the campsites (IMHO are nicer/generally more private and natural. That said, the state park is fine, and I have stayed there when the National Park was booked (many more sites in the state park). Furthermore, the state park has one loop ("H" I believe) that has 30amp hookups. No water or sewer hookups though. During the "high" season the electric sites are generally booked 6 months to a year ahead, especially during for the weekends. It is also (to me) a pain getting out of the state park on a Sunday morning as the line at the dump station can be quite long. Usually not a problem at the National Park as they don't have as many sites so not as many RVs, plus they have 2 dump stations, one on the oceanside and one on the Bayside.

A couple of photos (one from last year pre-polish, one from this spring post-polish and one of the fantastic sunsets you get on the bayside).
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Old 06-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Here are a couple of photos from Assateague National Seashore.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0639.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	160725   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0694.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	160726  

Name:	IMG_1421.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	160727  
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Sorry about the multiple posts!

TAC MD-6
AIR 4534