Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Asheville, NC to Columbus, OH

I was in Asheville, NC this past week and was planning to head for an area outside of Columbus, OH. Since I-40 is closed between Knoxville and Asheville, I came to Asheville via Rt. 58 through TN, Virginia, TN and into NC from Corbin, KY where we had spent the night. Nice, easy drive through the Cumberland Gap and over small mountains.

For our return trip, I would like a different way and am considering Rt. 23 north from Asheville all the way to Columbus. Has anyone taken this drive? It looks like a 4 lane most of the way but I'm not sure of the mountain exposure....steep, twisting, curvy, greater than 10 degree inclines or declines??? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks for you
input.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I traveled this road last year going to and from a KY rally. It is mostly 4 lane as you said. We were able to make rather good time on this road. There were small towns and stoplights along the way. I have not been as far as OH, but in TN, VA, and KY it was a good road.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
US 23 is four lane from the WV border northwards into OH. I have driven the stretch from Southpoint, WV to Portsmouth and that section is two lanes and is not in the best of shape, as well as being heavily traveled. They are building a by pass, but I doubt it is open yet.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
2005 25' International CCD
Columbus , Ohio
US 23 from the Ohio river north to Columbus is 4 lane divied highway. There will be traffic lights with impending red warning flashers about a 1/4 mile prior in several small burgs. Chillicothe & Cricleville are bypassed. Go under the posted limit in South Bloomfield if you don't want your wallet lightened. HTH
Cruisette52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
We live about an hour north of Columbus in Ohio and we've made many trips between our house and Asheville (used to visit the Biltmore annually). We always used to do I-40 east to I-77 north and then SR250 west to nearly our home. We went to Biltmore a couple years ago and used I-77 to I-81 in VA (I think) which we took into TN and then went on some state routes for about 40 miles until we reached a 4-lane that took us over one heck of a mountain climb and into the north side of Asheville. I'd stick to I-77 to I-40 if I had it to do again.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
I was in Asheville, NC this past week and was planning to head for an area outside of Columbus, OH. Since I-40 is closed between Knoxville and Asheville, I came to Asheville via Rt. 58 through TN, Virginia, TN and into NC from Corbin, KY where we had spent the night. Nice, easy drive through the Cumberland Gap and over small mountains.

For our return trip, I would like a different way and am considering Rt. 23 north from Asheville all the way to Columbus. Has anyone taken this drive? It looks like a 4 lane most of the way but I'm not sure of the mountain exposure....steep, twisting, curvy, greater than 10 degree inclines or declines??? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks for you
input.
Hey - how you guys been.

If you are trying to avoid grade I'd stay off of 77. You'll pick up some grade on 23 around Johnson City if I recall and come out of it around Wise. The worst of it up around Big Stone Gap I'd say. But, nothing like that run from Galax up to Beckley - and those damn tunnels.

I lived on that road early in my career - hated it then and still do. We still go that way about every two years to the beach and have for 30 years. Towed our Coleman down there one year (weighed about 2700#) and swore I'd never do it again. We rent condos now.... Pull your Google map up and hit the terrain button - may give you a better idea.

Whatever way you two travel - have a safe trip...
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Yes

Travel safely and take your time. Happy New Year to both of you!
Lou and Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:28 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
Thanks for the comments. Hey there Ganglin and Loudruff - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

We made the trip back from Asheville yesterday. Was interested in knowing about Rt. 23 through Kentucky and Virginia for the next time since we didn't take it this time. I had planned to return to Ohio via Rt. 23 but the weather was so miserable, we decided at the very last minute to stick with expressways and the recommended detour - I-26, I-81, I-40 and I-75. Nice wide roads, well marked and NO TRAFFIC. January 1st is a good day for travel. Rain and fog was heavy most of the way home - glad we took the main roads.

Loved Biltmore! We stayed at the (new to us) Inn at Biltmore Estate. Very nice! Bused to the mansion and all venues, all meals at the Inn or on the bus route on the property. Lots of damage from a very heavy snowfall within the past ten days - lost a lot of trees and pine branches, bamboo and rhododendrens (?). Crews cutting up pine trees all the time we were there - still lots of snow on the ground. We were anxious to see the mansion all decorated for Christmas - 40 live trees inside, the tallest one at 42'. They certainly know how to decorate for the holidays. An uncounted number of artificial trees inside also plus boughs and candles everywhere. We took two evening "Candlelight Tours" of the mansion. They had local groups waltzing in the music room plus local choirs singing christmas carols. Another tour we took was the "Behind the Scenes" - going into areas not open to the public - the generator room, the electrical areas in the basement, the areas frequented by the hired help behind the walls, etc... The Vanderbilts had a household staff that ranged from 30 to 50 people. They took up a lot of room doing their jobs and we got to see most of the areas they frequented. It was a great visit.

Still wondering about the drive down Rt. 23 through Kentucky and Virginia for those that are familiar with the drive. Looking forward to finding an easy drive directly south from Ohio. Thanks to all and again, a safe, happy and prosperous New Year to all!!
Old 01-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
Loved Biltmore! We stayed at the (new to us) Inn at Biltmore Estate. Very nice! Bused to the mansion and all venues, all meals at the Inn or on the bus route on the property. Lots of damage from a very heavy snowfall within the past ten days - lost a lot of trees and pine branches, bamboo and rhododendrens (?). Crews cutting up pine trees all the time we were there - still lots of snow on the ground. We were anxious to see the mansion all decorated for Christmas - 40 live trees inside, the tallest one at 42'. They certainly know how to decorate for the holidays. An uncounted number of artificial trees inside also plus boughs and candles everywhere. We took two evening "Candlelight Tours" of the mansion. They had local groups waltzing in the music room plus local choirs singing christmas carols. Another tour we took was the "Behind the Scenes" - going into areas not open to the public - the generator room, the electrical areas in the basement, the areas frequented by the hired help behind the walls, etc... The Vanderbilts had a household staff that ranged from 30 to 50 people. They took up a lot of room doing their jobs and we got to see most of the areas they frequented. It was a great visit.
Please tell me you did the winery tour and tasting?!?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
atabols -

So much to see there and so much to do. There wasn't much we missed.....YES we did the winery tour and the tasting. Not like the tours and tasting we did last year in northern Calif. where we were guests of the wineries and stayed in their guest cottages. This tour is mostly a self guided one. The day before we were on the tour was Biltmore's second busiest winery day of its existence - lots of people! A very crowded facility - I can't imagine how much $$$$ they take in daily. I know the mansion gets about 1.2 million visitors a year (at $45 each, or so) and it pays $18M in property taxes plus a payroll to over 1800 employees. I can't imagine what the upkeep must be on the mansion. I understand the Inn cost them $32M to build so there's a lot of money coming and going into and out of that place. I hope they end up on the plus side of the record book because it is certainly a place worth keeping. Enjoyed it immensely and looking forward to a return trip. Thanks for comments.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I know we're diverting from topic here, but hopefully a Mod. won't be summoned

If you liked Biltmore at Christmas, then go back in the warmer times. Parhaps you "upgraded" or bought originally the yearly pass? Andrea and I always used to play the dates on that...buy on say June 1 and then go back in May the next year...pass was still good! Then go the next year whenever, but the year pass, etc. etc. Kinda like getting your admission at 1/2 price.

Anyway, we always used to go to Biltmore in warmer weather on the motorcycle and ride the parkway, too. Biltmore in the summer is great. Everything's growing / in bloom. You can walk the trails, sit by the ponds, sit outside the winery and drink / eat. It's wonderful. Maybe we need to have a forums rally there. We've stayed at many campgrounds in the area. One was really cool and waaay up on top of a hill north of town that overlooked the town / valley. It was scary running the bike and trailer (yeah, a trailer behind the motorcycle) up this gravel / dirt road in the rain, but it was worth it. I suppose an Airstream would do just fine, too. We stayed at another one along I-26 west of town where we could see the Biltmore mansion from our campsite. Actually, it might even be possible to do something where you camp on the grounds of the Biltmore. Likely would be boondocking, but I know there's many "group" fields for use at the Biltmore. Motorcycle rallies w/ tent camping have been held on-site before.

We kinda gave up on the Biltmore trips a few years ago due to a temp. move to Europe and we came back with a kid and another on the way. We went to Biltmore for Christmas last year and besides being cold it was OK. The kids could care less though so we had to rush through the house. But, we could practically recite the tour so no biggy.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed Biltmore. Go back when it's warm. It's even better.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
Been there - done that. This is our third or fourth trip to Biltmore but our first since they built the Inn. All our previous trips had been in the summer - lots of green! We wanted to see the mansion decorated for Christmas. The Inn was new to us. In the past, we always stayed at the Grove Park Inn across town. We did stop by there just to check it out - it was a zoo! Glad we didn't decide to return there. The Grove Park Inn was like the winery - hundreds of people in a space for 30 (that's figuratively not really). Nice thing about a rally in the area is there is so much to see and do in the Asheville area - it would be difficult to run out of things to do. Nice place, just a little difficult to get there. That's why I was looking into driving down Rt. 23, if possible. Thanks for your comments.