Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Manchester , Oklahoma
Asheville NC campgrounds

We are coming across I40 Memorial Day weekend and are looking for something fairly close to I40. Something close to some mountain bike trails would be great.
We are also needing to leave the trailer at the campground for a few days for a trip to the coast to see family.
Planning to have a day to spend riding on the way out and back.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Tim
Timbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
KOA west is okay. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Asheville Campgrounds

Tim
Glad to hear you may be stopping here in Asheville. There are lots of options available and I am happy to tell you what I know about any of them if you want to PM me any questions about other parks.

In looking at your criteria of a place to spend the night and to leave your trailer for a few days and to be accessible to mountain biking, my first recommendation would be Taps RV Park. It by no means is a luxury park, but is clean and quiet and safe for a quick nights stay. from her you could literally ride your bike to the Blue Ridge Parkway without moving your TV.
It is located just off exit 55 in east Asheville and is an easy off/on. I think their rates are reasonable as well.

Similarly there is the KOA East Asheville which is ok as well. Neither of these have lots of amenities but that did not seem to be what you were looking for.

If you are looking for the pool and other RV "resort" type things I would suggest. Bear Creek Rv Park. It is located in West Asheville very close to the Farmers Market, but does not have the same mountain biking locations a close by.

If you can pull a short distance from I-40, I would suggest Lake Powhatan Campground. It is a state park and has a very woodsy feel. The sites are great and do not tend to back up to each other so closely. Roads are paved and sites are concrete pads. Very nice place. I do not know that they would allow you to leave your trailer there while you were gone, but you could ask about that. It is very close to the Bent Creek recreational area that has lots of mountain biking trails. you could ride for days and not cover them all.

I hope this is helpful.

Let me know if you find other places that you want to know about. This is only a short list of ideas off the top of my head.

Don't know if you are into this sort of thing or not, but we have a wonderful selection of locally brewed beers. We are after all Beer City USA and I have not even touched on the local food available. I can make recommendations on that later if you would like.

Jon

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Suwanee , Georgia
There is an excellent campground in the Asheville area named Campfire Lodgings. It is located on top of a mountain with spectacular long range views of mountains and the river. I don't know whether it would meet all of your needs or not, but you should at least make it a stop while you are there just to see the view.

There is an excellent web site named:

RV Park Reviews :: Home

that could give you more info about campgrounds in the area. You will enjoy Asheville.

Walter
Maybe Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Concur with Chillpoints first recommendation, not the greatest area but so close to the parkway and good place to leave your rig for a few days.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Manchester , Oklahoma
Thanks for all the input....it's helping a ton!
The Beer City USA comment makes me think a trip down town is in order. : )
Can't wait to get this new AS on the road!!!!
Tim
Timbur is offline   Reply With Quote