Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
AS etiquette

Ever since I bought my AS, numerous people come up to me and family and always say something nice about the AS.

I am one who feels uncomfortable about getting compliments like that. Not sure why.

My wife and I always smile after they leave and feel a sense of pride. We say thank you after a minute of small talk.

What are some of the responses you give? I am worried I will come out sounding condescending or prideful. I want to ease into the humble response.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Ever since I bought my AS, numerous people come up to me and family and always say something nice about the AS.

I am one who feels uncomfortable about getting compliments like that. Not sure why.
When it comes to psychology I'm an excellent engineer, so take this for what it's worth and not a penny more…

It's perfectly natural to feel uncomfortable about being complimented on what you've bought rather than what you've built. The more of you is in the thing being complimented, the more the compliment actually means. The longer you own your Airstream, the more you will personalize it, and the more of you that will be in it. And eventually you'll become very comfortable with the compliments you receive for it.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
AS etiquette

I used to be an extreme introvert...

Now days it is seldom that I feel uncomfortable around anyone at all no matter the circumstance.

Am I saying that either position is right or wrong? No....

At some point I think I just asked myself why in the world would would I be uncomfortable? we are all people after all.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Just tell em "Thanks, we love it"

Wait till the "Airstream Confessions" start

This is when someone tells you that they once had a chance to buy one, and regret not doing so....

I think what makes ME uncomfortable is when someone asks "How much did you give for that thing? 25?? 30?? ..."
Old 07-11-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My answer to any question of price is "it's paid for..."

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
My answer to any question of price is "it's paid for..."

Wish I had that answer BUT, we're making headway on it... I'm thinking we could be paid off by the end of the year, leaving us with only a mortgage, again.. that would be nice.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
When I first brought our new Airstream home, A neighbor said "Those things are so ugly." She is my only neighbor that hasn't been invited to see the inside, and never will be. The response I get from most people is "Do they still make those?"

Bruce
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Mine is the only Airstream in an RV park of almost 500 sites. I haven't had anyone come over asking to see it. But I am not the friendly type.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
When people compliment me on my Interstate, I tell them thank you.

Unless sorely pressed for time, I always ask if they want to see the inside...then show it to them, explain the features, and answer any questions they may have.

When they ask the year, I tell them it's an 06, and they say it looks brand new, I tell them it's been very well taken care of....and, it has.

Any questions they have about the what and how of traveling in it, I willingly share.

We have shown it so many times, and answered so many questions... Airstream has gotten a lot of free publicity and advertising from us over the past 9+ years.

Maggie
Old 07-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #10
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
When people compliment me on my Interstate, I tell them thank you.

Unless sorely pressed for time, I always ask if they want to see the inside...then show it to them, explain the features, and answer any questions they may have.

When they ask the year, I tell them it's an 06, and they say it looks brand new, I tell them it's been very well taken care of....and, it has.

Any questions they have about the what and how of traveling in it, I willingly share.

We have shown it so many times, and answered so many questions... Airstream has gotten a lot of free publicity and advertising from us over the past 9+ years.

Maggie

wait a minute, wait a minute. You actually offer them to see the inside? I know they all look some what the same, but what makes you comfortable enough to show them the inside? That is one thing that would seem to me like a line is crossed. I am not saying I have anything private or embarrassing or anything. Would that be considered "Rv'ing" etiquette to allow people to see the inside? (or ask to see the inside) Especially with shoes ON? I'm of the asian culture where no shoes inside is our norm.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
AS etiquette

I usually get "love your AS" followed by "do they still make them?"

Have had people leave a gas station, fight traffic to return, then ask questions.

We typically don't give tours because of the dogs being so very territorial, and protective of the silver dog crate, and we don't allow shoes inside either. If the pups are in the TV you might get a lean in and look from outside the open door.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #12
Builder of Diesel Jeeps

2014 28' International
Sedona , Arizona
"Grandparents had one" "You pull it with a diesel Jeep?" "It must've cost a fortune to restore, since they don't make them anymore".

Try pulling one with a vintage IH. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468267540.012141.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	266500
westernjeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Cazual it's quite common to show off the inside however that's s VERY individual thing.

There was a very interesting thread here not to long ago from a member with a counter perspective. He said he was generally happy to greet, nod or return a wave but he didn't want to visit constantly while he was trying to enjoy his rare time away. That really resonated with me and reminded me that just because we have the same make of the trailers doesn't mean you want to chitty chat about it. I pay more attention to body language when we're doing the casual stroll by and greeting. You can usually tell who's more open to longer in depth conversations.

Someone responded about a camp out where someone in a passing boat hollered out "I'm coming to see the inside of your Airstream" and they thought like heck you are.

I would never think to allow a stranger, even a nice one, into my home after they just walked down the street and said hi.

If at a rally during open house maybe and with our local unit yes but it's not a given.

And always tell them how it's appropriate, please leave your drink, cigarette, dog, children etc outside. Or just get comfortable saying thanks but we don't do tours.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
wait a minute, wait a minute. You actually offer them to see the inside? I know they all look some what the same, but what makes you comfortable enough to show them the inside? That is one thing that would seem to me like a line is crossed. I am not saying I have anything private or embarrassing or anything. Would that be considered "Rv'ing" etiquette to allow people to see the inside? (or ask to see the inside) Especially with shoes ON? I'm of the asian culture where no shoes inside is our norm.
People are generally curious, and if you've ever been to a rally you would know that checking out each other's rigs is simply what is done.

I show mine wherever I happen to be...campground, parking lot, wherever they ask...and late hubby and I did the same.

If people want to see it, we show them.

Most people step just inside to look, sometimes I open the rear doors and let them see that way.

Maggie
Old 07-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
On my way home from International, I had a menonite gentleman and his son come up to see my 2005 Classic Airstream. He was a logger in WV and needed a replacement.

He asked what one cost new. I told him. He stared at me silently like I was pulling his leg. I then suggested he look at an older one for about $25k. Silence still. I then told him for about 8 grand you could find one that's still nice. I think he was expecting 2k.

Nice guy though!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #16
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Cazual it's quite common to show off the inside however that's s VERY individual thing.

There was a very interesting thread here not to long ago from a member with a counter perspective. He said he was generally happy to greet, nod or return a wave but he didn't want to visit constantly while he was trying to enjoy his rare time away. That really resonated with me and reminded me that just because we have the same make of the trailers doesn't mean you want to chitty chat about it. I pay more attention to body language when we're doing the casual stroll by and greeting. You can usually tell who's more open to longer in depth conversations.

Someone responded about a camp out where someone in a passing boat hollered out "I'm coming to see the inside of your Airstream" and they thought like heck you are.

I would never think to allow a stranger, even a nice one, into my home after they just walked down the street and said hi.

If at a rally during open house maybe and with our local unit yes but it's not a given.

And always tell them how it's appropriate, please leave your drink, cigarette, dog, children etc outside. Or just get comfortable saying thanks but we don't do tours.
I concur. I may relax a bit in a rally. I just joined that WBCCI. My wife was actually the one to give the green light to join the get together. She is normal a not so introvert person. Doesn't want to talk unless she knows you. Which in my head, how would you ever get to know anyone if you don't talk? But that a whole thread all together. But she did say she should love to go on a rally with other AS's.

Maybe there, I can appreciate looking and other looking inside my AS.

Thanks for the wisdom.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Pulling ours with my Crew First Gen Cummins (Dodge never made a lot of crew cabs and never one with a Cummins) always seemed to bring out the cell phone cameras and for peop to try to have conversations at stop light.

One day, when in the truck only, we had a guy taking video while driving down the freeway.

My wife used to ask "what is everyone staring at?" I always use it as a time to tell her she is particularly beautiful today. Even though she had learned that the truck and the trailer, or one of the other was the cause.

Getting a new truck I was hopeful of getting a little less attention, but alas our first trip out still had people taking pictures of the airstream in the grocery store parking lot.

I for sure have had the "do they still make these?" Question too. I have just learned to smile and wave.

That is one sweet IH in the posts previous!
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Start scratching and say "Don't worry I don't think it is contagious"
Old 07-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
You better be wearing shoes if you enter my Airstream or home. Restaurants and other businesses won't allow people to enter without shoes. It's unsanitary, and unhealthy. I can sweep out a little grass or mud.

Bruce
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Yeah, I'd rather not have any strangers inside my Airstream.

Call me crazy.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote