Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
So first a big thanks to the folks next to us @ Sunset Bay OR May of 2012. I think from Idaho. They used to have a pop top (which is what we owned at that time).

That was a very gracious peek inside but was until recently, just a pipe dream. Thanks to whom ever they were.

On our first over nighter after delivery, we had our first chat and request for a peek at a rest stop 20 miles from Eugene. Well that didn't take any time.

We've always like the modern style, probably why we built at Sea Ranch with it modern architecture...yet living lightly on the land.

It was a similar deal when building. Walkers would drop by and ask to see inside. It started in the framing stage as shape and view was developing and continue thru until we were closed in. I was excited about the project and did much of the work. It was a compliment when the walkers enjoyed the design too.

Sane delio with an AS. We have two dogs so that is a consideration, but being friendly and sharing a similar level of excitement about AS's is fun. The peek inside is a case by case....the dog don't bite....but they're not my dogs

truly, the 20 just doesn't warrant a walking tour,

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #82
Ldytraveller

1998 34' Excella 1000
1990 29' Airstream 290
Algonquin Highlands , Ontario
Smile Ladytraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
People are generally curious, and if you've ever been to a rally you would know that checking out each other's rigs is simply what is done.

I show mine wherever I happen to be...campground, parking lot, wherever they ask...and late hubby and I did the same.

If people want to see it, we show them.

Most people step just inside to look, sometimes I open the rear doors and let them see that way.

Maggie
Agree Maggie. We are very proud of our 1998 34 Ft AS. We participated in an open house at our park in Texas last winter. We got as many visits as the big new 5th wheels in the park. All positive comments. No problem asking people to remove shoes. Most RVers do that any way. Most people love the retro feel - so do we!

Save
Old 07-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
In May we were visiting the Tetons. We had pulled into an observation spot, took some photos and had gotten back into our TV. A woman came to the window and was knocking. As my wife rolled down her window the lady motioned with both hands to outline the shape of the Airstream. She then gave us 2 thumbs up and said "I like". We soon saw the whole family giving us the thumbs up. We got out and got to know them. "Jennifer" and her family were visiting from Shanghi China. They were all decked out in clothing that reflected their fascination with our country. This cute family spoke Very little English but Jennifer was able to ask to see the interior! Of course, we abliged. It was so much fun to see their reactions. I later found her husband behind the wheel of our F250 Powerstroke making engine noises while his son took a video. It was an incredible interaction with this terrific Chinese family all made possible by our 27' Flying Cloud... Ambassador!
merchantmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:34 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
So funny, to follow this thread!
As i now can see, the "german" reactions of people while they see our "rivet-queen" Bangles are approx. the same, than in Amerika!!!!
We also get dozens of "thumbs-up" while travelling, often folks double us on the freeway VERY slow and take a video clip with theis smartphones.
Once parked, people came along and asked, if we are now planing to install a movie set-up wuth this "beast"...!
The reactions of "normal- people, just passi g by, are mostly friendly and fun y as well, exspecially the kids are very amazed!
Not so kind people are the "typical" german RV'ers, mainly regired people with their "odd looking" 3.5 ton 18ft class C...! They OFTEN (!!!) are unfriendly, because, we "block" two spots with Bangles, THEY complain about the gas we "burn" to move just 2 persons, the "waist" of place in our Baby, because of the "clumsy" US floorplan. (Have you ever seen these "tiny homes" like ERIBA CAR, or BURSTNER...?!)
That's a german thing, i guess. German's often have "the better opinion", very few can just say "Congrates, well done".
We began to "filter" all these "inputs" and forgot about the jalous fellows!
Next week, we will leave with the family to our anual holyday, this year it will be a "bicicle tour" thru the Mosel- and Rhinevalley! Either Anja or me will drive "Bangles" to a nice spot beside the river and install the "base-camp". Once the "sports team" arrives, the barbecue is lighted...! We will spend nice evenings outside under the awning and make "family events" (hopefully stressless with two Puber boys...&#128556
Same procedure in the morning, the "butler" will take care of breakfast and cleaning, the "sports team" leave for their daily 25 to 30 miles by bicicle!
Sounds great to me, i will for sure meet many RVers and have for sure funny conversations...!
I will share my expiriences here and post pictures on the thread Peter started: "The adventures of Bangles in Europe"!
Roquefort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:45 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Being a new shiny-trailer owner, we didn’t know what to expect from gawkers. So far we’ve seen nothing more than a few rubber necks, and a couple of friendly waves from fellow campers. After reading this thread, I’m not sure how I will react to aggressive curiosity.

We leave in two days to go to a church camp retreat we’ve attended for most of the last dozen years. This will be our first year not staying in a church-owned cabin. Due to the 34’ length of our trailer, there will be limits where we can park. Minutes ago I called the grounds director to give him a heads-up, and to ask what we need to know before we come (100’ power cord and white hose, and 50’ grey water hose). While we are talking, his wife pipes up in the background to inform me that she’s coming to see in our new home the minute we pull onto the grounds. She’s a sweet lady that we love dearly, but this sounds like our wakeup call. I assured them they will be our first house guests. But I may ask them to help devise a strategy for distracting others’ attention away from us. (We will be parked conspicuously, and RVs are not the norm at this camp.) We look forward to entertaining, but it has to be on our terms.