Old 07-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
On my way home from International, I had a menonite gentleman and his son come up to see my 2005 Classic Airstream. He was a logger in WV and needed a replacement.

He asked what one cost new. I told him. He stared at me silently like I was pulling his leg. I then suggested he look at an older one for about $25k. Silence still. I then told him for about 8 grand you could find one that's still nice. I think he was expecting 2k.

Nice guy though!

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #16
Stay CazuaL
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Cazual it's quite common to show off the inside however that's s VERY individual thing.

There was a very interesting thread here not to long ago from a member with a counter perspective. He said he was generally happy to greet, nod or return a wave but he didn't want to visit constantly while he was trying to enjoy his rare time away. That really resonated with me and reminded me that just because we have the same make of the trailers doesn't mean you want to chitty chat about it. I pay more attention to body language when we're doing the casual stroll by and greeting. You can usually tell who's more open to longer in depth conversations.

Someone responded about a camp out where someone in a passing boat hollered out "I'm coming to see the inside of your Airstream" and they thought like heck you are.

I would never think to allow a stranger, even a nice one, into my home after they just walked down the street and said hi.

If at a rally during open house maybe and with our local unit yes but it's not a given.

And always tell them how it's appropriate, please leave your drink, cigarette, dog, children etc outside. Or just get comfortable saying thanks but we don't do tours.
I concur. I may relax a bit in a rally. I just joined that WBCCI. My wife was actually the one to give the green light to join the get together. She is normal a not so introvert person. Doesn't want to talk unless she knows you. Which in my head, how would you ever get to know anyone if you don't talk? But that a whole thread all together. But she did say she should love to go on a rally with other AS's.

Maybe there, I can appreciate looking and other looking inside my AS.

Thanks for the wisdom.

"No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong."
"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
"Either I will find a way, or I will make one."
"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1971 27' Overlander
Monmouth , Oregon
Pulling ours with my Crew First Gen Cummins (Dodge never made a lot of crew cabs and never one with a Cummins) always seemed to bring out the cell phone cameras and for peop to try to have conversations at stop light.

One day, when in the truck only, we had a guy taking video while driving down the freeway.

My wife used to ask "what is everyone staring at?" I always use it as a time to tell her she is particularly beautiful today. Even though she had learned that the truck and the trailer, or one of the other was the cause.

Getting a new truck I was hopeful of getting a little less attention, but alas our first trip out still had people taking pictures of the airstream in the grocery store parking lot.

I for sure have had the "do they still make these?" Question too. I have just learned to smile and wave.

That is one sweet IH in the posts previous!
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Start scratching and say "Don't worry I don't think it is contagious"
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
wait a minute, wait a minute. You actually offer them to see the inside? I know they all look some what the same, but what makes you comfortable enough to show them the inside? That is one thing that would seem to me like a line is crossed. I am not saying I have anything private or embarrassing or anything. Would that be considered "Rv'ing" etiquette to allow people to see the inside? (or ask to see the inside) Especially with shoes ON? I'm of the asian culture where no shoes inside is our norm.
You better be wearing shoes if you enter my Airstream or home. Restaurants and other businesses won't allow people to enter without shoes. It's unsanitary, and unhealthy. I can sweep out a little grass or mud.

AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #20
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Yeah, I'd rather not have any strangers inside my Airstream.

Call me crazy.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
One of my favorite rallies included a trailer tour of everyone's rig. It was a blast! But I wouldn't just open the doors for a tour at random...just me...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
1973 31' Excella 500
Calary , Alberta
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
My answer to any question of price is "it's paid for..."

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

That's a great answer 😜
LifeinaTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
1973 31' Excella 500
Calary , Alberta
Me and my hubbie are chatty Kathys!! We have a 1971 Boler that we redid and love showing people our hard work. Just can't wait to do that with out AS once it's all done!! 🙏🏼
LifeinaTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
After working on a resto for 2 1/2 years, I don't mind showing her off a little. And yes, please leave your slurpies and sticky kids outside, and for Heavens sake - don't sit on anything.. Was a bit unnerving though when I pulled into a campground last month and had five people waiting to greet me when I hopped out of my truck. Or to have someone trailer tapping when we have the door open and the screen closed and my honey is sitting there in her Jammie's.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #25
2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Price: "More than I wanted to pay, but less than they wanted."

Thanks for the compliments, but we are busy setting up. Please stop by later when we can talk more.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
AIR 71620
WBCCI 5809 Reg 5 Unit 041
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
It's relative. Since we had never owned our own house, we take great pride in ownership of our first home. I've said it before, how often does one get to own an American icon? When folks ask us where we live, I typically reply "Oh, we live in a trailer." When people ask my wife, she says proudly, "We live in an Airstream!" I can't fault her - our Gandalf The Aluminum gives her great joy.

Early on in our travels we camp hosted. We once checked in a woman who owned a very large and beautiful coach, easily worth six figures. When she asked us where we lived, we pointed to our Airstream. She warned us "nobody can live full-time in one of those - six months max." I could sense my wife struggling to hold her tongue. To each their own. We think of her every now and then. It makes for a good laugh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03683.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	266519  
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Tell them "Thank you!" WB worked very hard at promoting the product so folks would feel that way about our coaches.

Can understand the reluctance to give tours. Make an album of pictures for folks to review. That way you won't have to get up from your comfy easy chair or leave your beverage of preference unattended.

Cost - Our answer will vary, but often is "They are a bit pricey, but you can save a bit if you shop and a lot if you buy used."

Glimmer has brought a lot of smiles into our life. We hope it continues.

Travel safe and smile when you see AS and Kin. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Raceland , Louisiana
I enjoy talking to people about our Airstream. It's often younger couples with kids so I return with a question or commit about there kids. If they talk about price I go with " when your last kid finishes collage it will free up some cash"

slabatFB25 is offline   Reply With Quote