Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Caravanner
panama city beach , Florida
Arkansas/Alabama Road trip

Hi!
We are heading to Bentonville, Arkansas soon. We're driving from Florida, going through Birmingham and Memphis to get there. We're definitely planning to sight see in Little Rock. Can anyone recommend some great camp sites along the way (or places to avoid) and fun things to do in Arkansas?

Thanks! It's our first "big" trip with the 'Stream.
modstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
If you want to sight see in Little Rock, you can't beat North Little Rock's Riverside RV Park. It's right on the Arkansas River across from the Clinton Presidential Library and has good access to the trolley system that serves both sides of the river. You could see and do a lot without driving at all. It's also right on the bike path.

If you want more info about the LR area, just ask. I can PM contact info too.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Caravanner
Thank you! Is that a safe area to camp in? We are traveling with a small child. The site looks wonderful. And yes, I'd love any ideas of fun things to do/see on the way to Wal-Mart land.
The Ozark National Forest looks lovely too.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
West of Conway Ark, and a little south of the interstate is Petite Jean Mountain State Park. It is beautiful and lots of great camping. You might want to plan a couple of nights there.
There are not a lot attractions between B'ham and Memphis on Hwy 78. If you come up through Mobile and Hattiesburg and up I-55 to Memphis there are really nice campgrounds at all of the Corp. of Engineer lakes along the way, Grenada Lake, Enid Lake and Sardis Lake. Each lake has a State Park as well as various Corp. camp grounds. I go do Destin all the time and it is a nice drive if you hit Mobile and Jackson at non peak times.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
You should be fine in that area. That part of North Little Rock, the original downtown area known as Argenta, has really undergone a revitalization in the last few years. Main street has lots of clubs and restaurants. Near there, Dickey-Stephens Park, a new minor league stadium, is home to the Travelers. Across the river on the Little Rock side, NLR and LR are technically different cities, the Rivermarket (slow to load site, I didn't build it so it's not my fault) area is even more of a destination.

The RV park is only a couple of years old. Early on (Fall 2008) it was home to a national motorhome rally with something like 1,000 units along the river. The park is not a 1,000 spaces, that was a special thing spreading along the river. It has 68-72 spaces, depending on whether you look at the website or the websites pdf map showing the layout and access from I30. (I have attached the pdf file.) It is right by I30 so access is easy. Surprisingly, traffic noise is not bad, the I30 Bridge across the Arkansas River elevates the traffic well above the park.

Lots to see and do in the Ozarks too. The southern tips of the Ozark mountains are south of I40 and the river. Mount Magazine, the highest point in the state at only 2,753 feet, is the southern tip of the Ozarks. The rest of the Ozarks are north of the river. Some camping at Mount Magazine (not many spaces), as well as a new lodge and cabins. Near there is Lake Dardnelle on the AR River with camping too. Further north there is the Buffalo River, the first nationally protected river. Great canoeing and fishing. More great fishing and boating on the White River, including large man-made lakes. Some near Bentonville. Beaver Lake is something like 10 miles east. You may want to search for RV parks at Beaver Lake for a place to stay while you are visiting Bentonville. It would be convenient.

There's more in LR/NLR and the rest of AR, too. Way too much for here. Come on and visit! Be prepared, it will be hot and humid. You should be able to handle it if you're from Panama City.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DowntownRiversideRVPark.pdf (536.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-08-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
I'm partial to my area (and it's 45 mins from Bentonville).
Eureka Springs, The Extraordinary Escape

Eureka Springs Chamber of Commerce

Have a great trip!

Bob
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
I can chime in for the Memphis area. If your itinerary brings you to Memphis for an evening, camp at Tom Sawyer RV park in West Memphis, AR. Skeeters will get bad at sunset, but worth it to experience North America's largest river. It is right on the mighty MS river. You will see river barges up close. Reserve a space right on the river- literally a rocks throw from the water. It is a quick 10 mins back over to Memphis. Make sure you experience some music on Beale Street, and get some good bbq at the Rendezvous. If you fancy Elvis, check out Graceland. If you have any respect for Rock and Roll, you will have to visit Sun Studios. And don't miss the National Civil Rights Museum.

I will second the recommendations for Enid Lake on the way up to MEM, and also Petit Jean State Park in AR. Great places.

Have fun on your trip!

1967 Caravel

modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Caravanner
Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful. Enid Lake looks lovely and the RV park in Memphis sounds perfect. I heard Eureka Springs was nice, we will check into a day trip (or two).
We may never come back. Ha!
If anyone else has any suggestions, please share. Y'all are making our trip planning really easy.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #9
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
the ozarks

don't miss mountain view arkansas and mountain home and the buffalo national historic river, and arkansas' grand canyon and Mount magazine state park and citadel point near cecil and beaver lake at eureka springs
and mount nebo....too many places in arkansas with extreme beauty..
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
We camped at the Dam Site COE park which is 9 miles from Eureka Springs 4 years ago and really enjoyed it. It is right on Beaver Lake and is easy to get to Eureka Springs and not all that far from Bentonville & Rogers.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote