Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I don't know about searching RVs; I've been through only in a car, and they have always just waved me past. I suspect that there's some (legal or illegal) profiling going on of some variety.

Lynn
Old 07-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #22
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
In January 2008, we went through 4 "checkpoints" on our travels between So CA and Corpus Christi. The worst was a stop along I8 near El Cajon, as the checkpoint was located at the top of a hill & the waiting line crawled up the hill. Felt for those truckers who had to move a dead weight & inch up the incline.
The other checkpoints were eastbound on I8 about 60 miles east of Yuma, westbound on I10 just across the New Mexico/Texas border, and eastbound on I10 in west Texas. By the looks, only the New Mexico & Texas stops were "permanent."
We were waived thru at each checkpoint, with just a cursory look. Biggest hassle was slowing down to a crawl along the interstate for up to 1/2 hour.
I believe that the border patrol has sanctions to stop & search within 100 miles of the US border. In 2008, they were exercising this option as a checkpoint briefly appeared on US 101 in WA state, just outside of Port Angeles WA. Guess the rationale was that Port Angeles was less than 100 miles to Canada. The only way though to cross the border at this location is by ferry to Victoria, boat, or swim!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1996 33' Land Yacht
tucson , Arizona
Arizona check points

There is now a check point about 20 miles north of the Mexican border from Nogales. It is permanent and will soon be enlarged. Its usually a very fast passing with a friendly wave through.

Be aware that there are detectors for RADIO ACTIVE materials and I believe that this is the reason for the check point. My son who just had a medical scan which used a small amount of radio active material was stoped and scanned. They filled out a special form to allow him to proceed.

Its for our security so please take the small inconvience as a safety measure.

If you are comming from Mexico there is the obvious border check point. All RV's and motor homes will be searched for food items that are not permitted. Most times they only search the fridge but sometimes they will look in adjecant storage arears. Be aware of the food items that are not allowed to cross the border. You can find a list online. Either eat them before crossing or hide them well if you dont want them confiscated.

When crossing the border between Nogales Mexico and Nogales USA do NOT go through Nogales Mexico. Use the Mariposa exit and take the short freeway. It costs a toll but certainly worth it. Nogales can be a dangerous city at times. There is no inspection for RV's and trailers on the Mexican side. Just follow the special lane which is marked for RV's and boats.

If you stay out of the border towns Mexico is very safe and a fun country to visit. Try San Carlos for RV parks and fish in the ocean. Lots of "gringos" winter there.
pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We saw the detectors for radioactive materials when we returned from Canada and entered Montana at a very small crossing. It was this very large yellow up side down U (square corners though). They told us if we flunked the first one, they sent us through another one. We were told they were at every border crossing, but it appears they are now in from the border too according to pacer. If I want to bring in an atom bomb, now I'll have to encase it in lead and get heavy duty axles.

I'm not against reasonable security, but some of it is either for show or mindless in my opinion. Are they using those detectors at the ports where containers have not been inspected regularly and it's 8 years since 9/11? They put them out where we can see them so we think we're safe, but they need them at the container ports where we don't see them.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Celina , Ohio
Quite a bit of info on checkpoints and radio active materials. Thanks for that. But my intent on posting this thread was to zero in on a Campground for this winter. Tucson will probably be our destination, all 2000 miles away from where we call home. I spent some time on you tube today and was amazed at all the videos of Tucson, from campgrounds to state parks, from wild rides on bikes to videos of lightning and monsoons that frequent the area. State Parks seemed to be a choice for many even though you cannot reserve a spot. "First come first served" Not sure I can take a chance on that after a such a long haul. I believe we need a home base so that day trips and some sanity can be kept in place. So I think we will be in Tucson in Dec, Jan, and Feb. and then mobile a bit north towards Sedona and take pot luck with the State Park system. Just don't know where yet.... Where oh where we do not know....Jim
tinhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #26
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
AZ State parks are great, but few offer full hookups and most have a 14 day limit.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Celina , Ohio
AZFLY...what do you think the occupancy rate of SPs in AZ. are in the peak season. Near 100%. The 14 day limit and hook-ups are not an issue with us. I guess you can call ahead to see if there are open spots instead of driving to the area to find no openings. That would be a bummer, it gets dark in AZ too...right?

Jim
Old 07-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Jim... Here's what we'd do if it were us, since we know that the AZ State Parks are mostly first come first serve and they can get pretty busy during the winter...that, taken with the fact that you don't necessary plan to stay put in one place for your entire stay...

I'd book a private RV Park for a couple of weeks or so in Tucson or one of the surrounding communities... so that you know where you are going to land once you're here...that takes away the anxiety not of knowing where you're going to stay when you arrive...then take that couple of weeks to get the lay of the land and explore some other possibilities of places to stay once you're here...visit some sate parks, other RV parks, decide if you want to move to one of those (early-to-mid-week is always the best time to change), or to another town, even...that way you have a destination and a place to use as a spring board to other places... then play it by ear a little. We know that it's much less stressful knowing that you have a place waiting for you as you head out...at the same time you have built in flexibility once you're here with time to catch your breath ...and you're not committed to a place you may not want to stay for a really long time. Just a thought.

We hope you have a great time here...and maybe you can even take in a 4CU rally while you're in our neck of the woods...we'd love to have you! There's one in Cottonwood in early Feb right near Sedona!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #29
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The 4CU has two rallies in AZ state parks over the winter. Neither one of these parks have been full when we were there. We reserve group sites for our rallies. There is nothing like a big loop of all Airstreams.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Celina , Ohio
Thumbs up

Trip update: After looking at numerous options, we have decided to stay at Palm Creek RV Resort in Casa Grande for two months. After which we will migrate north to Sedona and Grand Canyon taking pot luck at SPs. Yesterday we visited Jackson Center to pick-up some needed parts as we like to keep the tinhut in good condition. Made an appointment to get four new tires and shocks. Can you believe they pushed me out til September 8th. All their repair bays were full and more waiting in the Telleport. So, if anyone out there contemplating repairs at the Mothership you may want to call ahead. By the way, we decided to go with Goodyear Marathons (made in USA) load range D which is a step up from the C s currently on the tinhut. See you in AZ.............
Old 08-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
The two permanent border check points in AZ we have experienced are:

1. Between Why and Lukeville in Organ Pipe National Park on AZ HWY 85. It is no big deal they mainly ask if you are U.S. Citizens. This is on the main highway going to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) which we take our trailer down there at least once per year and stay on the beach.

2. Just north of Tombstone on AZ Hwy 80 you will only have to stop when travelling north.

Neither of the is a big deal. Just remember that if you do decide to go to Mexico while visiting AZ, even for a day, be sure to have your valid Passport to re-enter the U.S.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #32
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I know you're glad to have the destination all set, Jim. Happy travels and we'll see you on the road.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote