Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minnetrista , MN
Arizona in March, recommendations?

I'm sure there are past posts about this but I can't find them. We are going to Arizona for the month of March and I'm looking for recommendations. We prefer state parks to commercial campgrounds and like hiking and outdoor activities. We don't stay long in any one place. BLM dry camping probably isn't for us.
Any suggestions on places to stay and things to do? Are we going to have a tough time find a place to stay? Do we need advance reservations? Thanks!
Wesair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . We enjoy Lost Dutchman SP just East of PHX, hookups, hiking & history. Some good ones South around Tucson also (Catalina SP). The RVParkreview.com advertised on the portal page has good info on most. . . travel safe, Craig
Old 01-03-2017, 09:01 AM   #3
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Dead Horse SP in Cottonwood, for all your Verde Valley goodness.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Most state and county parks limit your stay to 14 days. Pick a couple and enjoy your visit!

Some of our favorites are
Dead Horse State Park
Lost Dutchman State Park
Picacho Peak State Park
Lake Pleasant Regional Park
McDowell Mountain County Park

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Look at the Big Lake area in the White Mountains of AZ. Also, if you want to be nearer to a town check out the Pinetop/Lakeside area as well as Fools Hollow Lake. We may still be a little bit cold in March, but it is gorgeous up here.

Going down the mountain, outside of Payson, AZ is some gorgeous camping, hiking and rock hunting at a bit lower elevation.

If you look into these areas and you like something, let me know and I can pull out my camping/rock hunting guides and grab some pictures for you so you can see some potential locations
Old 01-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Lucky you! I second the dead horse SP / Cottonwood area. Definitely take a hop up to Jerome. Then the whole area around Tucson is awesome. I love the LazyDaze KOA there and it is a great jump off point for everything around that area but I'm sure there are many others out there with first hand knowledge of SP's available there as well
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
Probably the best facilities of any AZ state park is Karchner Caverns near Sierra Vista. Lots of interesting things to do in that area. My next favorite is Patagonia Lake SP only a hour and half away.
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Indianapolis , Indiana
Newbie here! My wife and I are taking our first long trip in our 22FB Sport at the end of March. We are going to Phoenix via Route 66 from Indianapolis Indiana. We are going to the Final Four and I am looking for a campground around the Phoenix area! Help as always is appreciated. Thanks.
Jim Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #9
LaPorte214

2014 27' FB International
Peoria , Arizona
Kartchner Cavern's State Park, near Benson, AZ. Caverns tours daily. From Benson, AZ it's easy drive to historic Tombstone. Also, Lake Pleasant RV Resort on Lake Pleasant, Peoria, Arizona (Peoria is NW of Phoenix). Tucson AZ is great as many nearby sites including Pima Air Museum with daily tours of the Titan II Missile Museum located south of Tucson on interstate 19. On this tour you will actually go down into the launch control facility and the missile silo. All great tours!! We live in Peoria, AZ and have taken many guests to these places. Plus, Jay (my husband) was a Missile Launch Officer on this very missile back in the 1970's.
LaPorte214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #10
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Stay in southern AZ in March

It can be chilly in northern AZ in March so stay anywhere south of Prescott.
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Welcome (soon) to sunny Arizona, folks! There are some great Maricopa county parks with camping. I agree that North of Prescott will be too cold & snowy in March. Lake Pleasant is about 35 miles north of Phoenix on a lovely Man made Lake with lots to do in the area, including Historical Pioneer Village. Cave creek County Park is off of Carefree Hwy and 25 miles north of Downtown. McDowell Mountain Park is in Scottsdale. Then the State Parks, Alamo Lake is a little known wonder of a park far from the masses, west of Wickenburg. Roper Lake SP is near Superior & close to Globe/Miami as well as the Boyce Thompson Arboretum.
Absolutely make reservations for the best sites as well as longest possible stays, up to 14 days. We are packed with RV tourists here, right now, & will be so until end of April. Also, Campgrounds tend to get very full during spring break for our 4 Universities, dozens of colleges and thousands of public schools, which in AZ in NOT around Easter and always in March.
Just come and have fun!
Old 01-03-2017, 01:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I will be in Dead Horse 3/25 to 4/2. Look me up if you are there. There is also Lolomai rv resort on Oak Creek near Sedona, and Picacho Peak in the Sonoran desert near Tucson.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
I am heading out that-a way-in mid-February so am following the suggestions. What I DO know is that reservations are highly recommended. Certainly in the greater Tucson area and south, lots of snowbirds.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:51 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Lots of good info. Thanks everyone. Hoping to do first west loop this spring or fall. Following and taking notes.
DavE and Debbie in WV
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minnetrista , MN
Thanks so much - great ideas. I've checked reservations and some places are pretty busy but there are some options in some of the state parks. We are also thinking of going over to Joshua Tree National Park.
Wesair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Colorado River Country

We were in Az last year in Feb and March. Besides Desd Horse SP in Cottonwood, we loved Buckskin SP and Island Park SP (2-3 miles apart) between Lake Havasu City and Parker right on the Colorado River. These parks have roomy sites with trees and hookups for under $20. You can fish from the bank and rent a boat or jet ski in Parker. If you go north from there, there's a great county park on the Colorado River in Bullhead City right next to the bridge to Laughlin. $15 a night with showers and some have electric hookups.
Natomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:29 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Goodyear , Arizona
Homolovi State Park near Winslow

We often stop at Homolovi State Park just outside of Winslow, AZ. The campground is nice with water & electric hookups, a dump station, and expansive view of the surrounding desert. The park preserves ancestral Hopi ruins. In Winslow there is La Posada, the last of the great Harvey Hotels that served the railroads. Don't forget to check out the Standin' on the Corner monument to the Eagles. Day trips could include the Hopi reservation to the north, Meteor Crater to the west, and Petrified Forest National Park to the east. You can make reservations, but we have never found it necessary.
leap-baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Another vote for Karchner Caverns SP
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:48 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Hereford , Arizona
Fort Tuthill

If you are retired military you can try to get reservations at Fort Tuthill which is on the outskirts of Flagstaff. It is run by Luke Air Force Base. It is a base point to go to the Grand Canyon, Winslow, Painted Desert, Sedona and Petrified Forest.
BScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:22 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Green Bay , Wisconsin
Cave Creek Recreation area campground is wonderful. It's part of the Maricopa County Park system. It is off Carefree Highway east of Hwy 17. Great hiking, wonderful views and quiet north Phoenix area. Enjoy.
Excella1991 is offline   Reply With Quote