Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Arizona 89/89A

can this road be safely travled from yarnell to sedona to flagstaff...towing the stream ...that is...there are numerous warnings as to not be suitable for rv traffic...
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
There are signs posted north of Yarnell to Prescott that limit combined vehicle length to 40 feet maximum. I don't recall the stretch from Prescott to Sedona; but from Sedona to Flagstaff, there is a stretch that is narrow with rock outcroppings, so I suspect the same applies there.

Our 19-foot Bambi has no problems at all, and you might be ok with your 25 foot Airstream. However, on are some hairpin turns, you may be over the line in the curves. I would worry if you happen to have an ADOT, highway patrol or some other official car behind you, or are unfortunate enough to break down on this stretch of road. I certainly would not take a longer trailer on this route, even though it is a beautiful drive. There is a separate route from I-17 to Prescott to Sedona and then back to I-17 that may be better if you are concerned about your trailer. Otherwise, these towns are a easy day trip with your trailer safely parked in one of the campgrounds that has a straighter route in and out.

As an aside, you sound like you have researched this area in detail. Don't miss Jerome; it's an old mining town that is now an art enclave, and I think it may have been the capitol for a short time back when Arizona was a territory (although I may be mistaken).
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Turn WHERE???

I would not take my MH thru Jerome with the toad, although I know two others who have...it is a beautiful drive, and after we backtracked to 17 to get to Cottonwood thru the conventional route, we disconnected and did a car thing...still glad I didn't try to tow thru, but I live in a small town called Silverton, and I could just be a flatlander...it is do-able, but the rest depends on what you want as a stress level...road construction seems to be a constant thing in Jerome, so that will affect travel...still, the town and the area are worth the short side trip...hit Camp Verde while yer at it...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
ScrapIrony-2, good point; I forgot Jerome was in that Prescott to Sedona route I suggested. Probably, not a good idea, although again our 19-foot had no problems. I guess there's a price to pay for that queen size bed, although sometimes we'd like a little more room when the weather stays bad for more than a couple of days.

Also, it's not as bad as the "million dollar highway". At least you can see the bottom off of the dropoffs (hahaha).
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Also, it's not as bad as the "million dollar highway". At least you can see the bottom off of the dropoffs (hahaha).

We have bottoms to our drop-offs...??? just trying to say that the Jerome road could be a trial for many folks...but, you're right, the Ouray to Durango highway is a knicker-twister, also...ok, maybe a bit more...I always try to tell folks that the roads are just as wide as they are in Texas, but the bar ditches are 800 feet deep...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:13 AM   #6
Islander

thanks to all for the bottoms up

i am headed that way this morning via IH 17 thru 74 from 60....i will ck it out without trailer and then in future travels may try it
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 09-27-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Kingfisher24,

This is a beautiful stretch of road which we have driven several times, although it is tight in areas and Doug recommends against towing the trailer through it.

Sedona is beautiful, and there is a lovely campground there, to look at for a future visit. Mature trees, nicely manicured, congenial hosts----and clotheslines for public use behind the laundry!

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 09-27-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
If you venture on rt89 from Phonix to Prescot, be sure you have enough power to haul heavy grades. Found out that a 345 with a 454 and towing a jeep was not really sufficient for the % of grade. Not a happy ride!
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
Islander

I17

We made the trip from Congress to Flagstaff via The Camp Verde Grades and they were pretty inclinous stuff...steep hauling grades..... so i imagine what 89 would be,,,i will ck it out one day and see what it is like
WBCCI 2541

4CU