Old 08-03-2004, 08:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Are YOU seeing Airstreams on the road?

We just returned from 16 days in Montana by way of I90 West through the Black Hills. We spent most of a week in the Boulder River Valley and then traveled north from Deer Lodge to West Glacier, traveled the Going to the Sun road in a Red Tour Bus, south around GNP to Many Glacier for a couple of days, down to Helena for the Gates of the Mountains, and home. We counted at least 17 Airstreams and Argosy's (sp?) on the way, and numerous other related aluminum-style trailers. We found an Overlander for sale in Big Timber, and almost bought (on the road-can you believe it?!) a darling, but needy, 20' Argosy in the Boulder River area. Thanks to all of you on the Forum, we have learned to spot the problems in a unit, so we knew what a good fix-up price would be. The owners declined, but we felt confidence in our assessment. Can't you picture us in Montana with one truck and 2 Airstreams?!) We saw a T@G at one campground, met a pair of terrific AS owners at Many Glacier Campground (one in a great Caravel and the other in a beautiful Excella. There we also just missed meeting a forum member who is serving at GNP, but saw her cute new AS), saw two Silver Streaks, and two long aluminum trailers with an unusual slanted back (or front, couldn't pick out detail as we passed-they reminded me of the "mansion" that is part of the Shady Dell collection), and just so many AS's on the road, blinking lights to say hello! We loved the natural scenery, but spotting the AS's was lots of fun too. We had our WBCII book in the truck, so when we spotted numbers, it becme a game to look up the owners and the states they were traveling from. (Unless like us, our numbers in the book still reflect the PO!) So, if you were among the traveling Airstreamers we passed during the past two weeks, please let us know. We hope your trip was as grand as ours, and that you too have a safe return home! So back to the original question, are YOU seeing Airstreams on the road this summer? Tell us about your spottings

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 08:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I saw an Airstream yesterday in Highland Park, on the Edens Expressway, north of Chicago between Deerfield Road and Clavey. BIG sucker, probably 30 feet or longer, pulled by a white pickup. It was beautiful!

Old 08-03-2004, 09:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
maxandgeorgia, as two of the sweetest people on this forum, you deserved to have an idyllic romp through my home state. did you take the boat tour through Gates of the Mountains? it IS magical.

i wonder whether the trailers you saw with slanted backs were westcrafts, which are old coaches of airstream quality. i just got one with a trolley top, needs a lot of work, but they look stupendous going down the road. www.vintage-vacations.com has an amazing restoration of one if you're interested enough to check it out & see if it looks familiar.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Summerkid, you are from Montana? I have to ask, WHY did you leave??! That state has drawn us back for five or six years now and we always find more to enjoy. Yes, the boat trip through the Gates was magical-one of those goosebump moments. And yes, the strangely-shaped-front trailers that we saw were like the one on the site you gave above. Quite distinctive. These were not shined up, but stood out anyway. You mention "westcraft." The site labels it a "Spartan Manor." Can you fill me in about these? Two of them plus a Silver Streak were set up at a self-contained campground south of Helena. I am still amazed at the number of Airstreams, Argosies, and other aluminum-type trailers we saw on this trip!
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 08-04-2004, 12:02 AM   #5
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
In our 12 weeks so far on the road we have seen quite a few Airstreams.

In fact ... right now ... we are surrounded by at least 50 or more!

OK .. so we're attending the Salmon Potlatch Rally at the Washington Land Yacht Harbor.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Dang, another rally missed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
In our 12 weeks so far on the road we have seen quite a few Airstreams.

In fact ... right now ... we are surrounded by at least 50 or more!

OK .. so we're attending the Salmon Potlatch Rally at the Washington Land Yacht Harbor.
Ooooooooooooh, We so wanted to attend that Rally! How is it so far? We will make it to that Rally!!!!!! Someday!!!!! How's the weather? We're having unseasonally cool weather in Oregon (no forest fires yet!). How long are you staying, and what method are you communicating to these forums?
Have fun!

Jim Jordan
Corvallis, OR

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 03:52 PM   #7
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm

Ooooooooooooh, We so wanted to attend that Rally! How is it so far? We will make it to that Rally!!!!!! Someday!!!!! How's the weather? We're having unseasonally cool weather in Oregon (no forest fires yet!). How long are you staying, and what method are you communicating to these forums?
Have fun!

Jim Jordan
Corvallis, OR
Jim,

Hey .. we were in Albany/Corvallis just a couple of weeks ago. We really liked Corvallis.

The Rally is pretty darn good ... this being our first Airstream Rally we have nothing to compare it to ... except the Escapade (Escapees) we attended back in April.

The folks here are real friendly and helpful ... the camping is on a gravel lot ... but they do provide full hook ups. The rate is only $10 per day .. so we're not complaining.

Weather .. cool .. with a little rain today.

We'll probably be here for at least 2 weeks. I am using either my Verizon phone for Internet access ... or better yet ... I am currently sitting in a Coffee Lounge in Olympia ... free WiFi access here and many places in town ... very nice.

Also, the Land Yacht Harbor provides WiFi for either $4.95 per day or $39.95 per month. I'm a cheap SOB so I just take my portable out for a cup of java and the free WiFi.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Had a coach in the parking lot at work today here in Cartersville GA. Went to the Publix a few door down. No numbers. looked mid 70's but I couldt see the side the way they parked it to try to identify the year. Looked like a FL tag.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:35 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
My family and I just finished three weeks on the road between Kentucky and most of the New England states and saw three airstreams. The last coach we saw was in Pennsylvania leaving the campground as we were unhitching; he nearly rearended the van on the road in front of him as he was beeping his horn and waving wildly at me. I'm sure he was glad to discover the brakes on his 34' tri-axle coach will lock up just fine when called upon.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:35 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Are YOU seeing Airstreams on the road?

While touring Kansas over the past four days, I was amazed at the number of Airstreams that I saw. My travels were mainly on the secondary highway system - - US 24 - - K-18 - - US 183 - - US 160 - - US 166. Most of the coaches were parked on farms along the route or in campgrounds. There was one classic Airstream Motorhome parked in an auctionhouse parking area with a for sale sign along US 183 in Plainville, Kansas. Since I was traveling without my Airstream or Argosy due to tow vehicle problems, didn't get to exchange "headlight" greetings with those whom I met on the road.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 05:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
Driving I-35 North from Des Moines to the Twin Cities this Sunday (8/16/04), Kimber and I saw 6 airstreams. 5 TTs and 1 MH.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Just returned from four days in Grand Marais, MN, where two of our kids were camping, and I "cheated" by staying in a log cabin in town, walking distance. Five Airstreams were in camp while we were there. I only found one "at home" but enjoyed talking with them very much. They were looking forward to four months in their new AS this winter! Airstreams were beautiful, especially set up with that Lake Superior front yard. Gorgeous weather-we must have brought some Missouri heat up with us according to the locals who could only talk about the winter they've been having this summer. Bluest of skies, bluest of waters, lush green pines and firs, cobblestone beaches, sunshine and chilly shade, blazing campfiries and sticky marshmallows. We all rather missed fog drifting over the camp and stormy waves crashing on the rocks. Next year again, hopefully with the whole family and our Gypsy-in Grand Marais! The new teaching year and reality begins tomorrow. How I do love fantasy
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 08-16-2004, 09:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
On the road looking

Just did 400 mi on I 40 OK to TN and saw 4 AS/ TT. Two were unusual, one had a black painted lower front area, from under the front window to about 4ft down the sides the other had a very fancy paint job sort of what you see on the new moter homes.

Garry
Old 08-16-2004, 10:14 PM   #14
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Last week at South Lake Tahoe we saw a 2000 Bambi, 2000? Safari, 78 Tradewind, and a 63 Globetrotter. Highly unusual for us to see any.

Turns out there was a Vintage Vacations ralley starting the day we left...

Only the 63 was there for the ralley.

We also say a 48 trailer that looked like the one Lucy and Desi used.

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote