Old 08-17-2004, 02:11 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Anybody on that wagon train?

I just drove down the Al-Can (thats South, for all you folks in the Lower 48) about three weeks ago and saw a group of probably forty Airstreams on their way up to Alaska. They had both vintage trailers and tow vehicles as well as the most modern wide-bodies. As I was on my way to pick up my first Airstream in NY I just kept on driving.

Coming back UP the Al-Can (thats North) ten days ago I saw about three or four Airstreams and exchanged waves but didn't have the pleasure of stopping near any others.

I don't expect to see many other AS in AK but if there is a caravan a-comin' let us know. We may just tag along and point out some of the local color...

"Few things are impossible to diligence and skill" -Samuel Johnson
IceKing02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 02:15 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Thumbs up

I saw one last week near St Tropez (French Riviera) was Bruno with his repaired and polished Airstream, I enjoyed meeting him & his charming wife & daughter. (I'm sure he will soon post some pics here )

qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Probably was us...

Max and Georgia--

We probably waved and blinked our lights at you, as we were traveling through Canadian Rockies and Montana and Glacier National Park from mid July through late July, when we headed over to Oshkosh WI for the air show.. Look for story in Airstream Life.

Our numbers are discretely displayed on the rear bumper for now, so hard to find us in the book passing head on at closing speed over 120 mph... We were in blue Suburban pulling Excella 25 with blue stripes, and spent evenings along Yellowstone River south of Livingston, in Glacier Meadows south of Glacier National Park, and in several other spots... Eastern Montana a little too deserted and empty for our tastes (we live in county of 5 million south of San Francisco...), and there are more people within 25 miles of us than in all of Montana... (and we usually see them all on Fridays on the highways if we try to leave town...).

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
During our trip from Illinois to Florida, we saw 5 total. 2 were in a campground in Alabama and the other 3 were parked in back yards or out in fields, presumably unused. We were the only Airstream where we stayed. We passed by the road to Mystic Springs Airstream park when leaving, but didn't actually see it.

cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
We just returned from a trip from Milton (just west of Toronto) to Prince Edward Island traveling through New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and New Brunswick. We saw 3 Airstreams in campgrounds, 4 on the road and a few others parked at homes. This was our first big trip with our '64 Overlander - it drew a lot of looks and comments, and it's not even polished!

DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:50 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Airstream Dealer
2001 25' Excella
Spokane Valley , Washington
We just purchased our new, to us, '97 Safari in July. Spent last weekend at Lake Pleasant in Bothell, WA, spotted an older Argosy and an older Airstream approx. 25' there, too.
Karyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 05:07 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I usually see about 15 a day. But then, I driver right past an Airstream dealer on the way to work.
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 05:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Just back from a 3,000 plus jaunt trough the Pacific Northwest. Saw the most Airstreams I have ever seen on one of my big trips. Many brand new units. Found myself camping next to a few including Porky Pig! Always great fun to chat with an AS owner when I am walking the dogs. And always neat to get flashed when on the road. I see proof that AS is selling well these days with all these new units! And I was only told once on the whole trip: "I didn't know they still made these." That's a record for me!
"It's the journey."

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:13 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Elgin , Texas
While they weren't actually on the road itself, yesterday between Bastrop and Austin I saw close to a dozen Airstreams either in use in RV parks or for sale by the side of the road. One used RV dealer in Wyldwood had what looked to be 3 70's era trailers on his lot. All the rest, with the exception of one late model unit, seemed to be of this vintage as well.

Couldn't give much more info than that - given that I was going 65 at the time. Had I had the time and a camera, I would have scoped them out for any who might be interested. Maybe I'll run over that way again this weekend and see what I can see.

Maybe - heck, I'll do it. I'll get some pics and S/N's too.

Then bredlo can give 'em that special Partridge family treatment.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:58 PM   #24
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
We took a trip to St. Louis weekend before last and did not see one other Airstream on the route from Grapevine, TX, through OK and across I-44 to Kirkwood, MO and back. It was disappointing.
Paul Mayeux
A&P Vintage Trailer Works, Inc.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
MaxandGeorgia -

We must have passed in the night, at least.

My wife and I were up at Glacier 2 weeks ago, or so, and had at least 1 or 2 other Airstreams in the same park as us - when I went by, no one was home. Before that we stayed 2 weeks in Missoula, MT and did meet a couple of other Airstreamsers while we were there - One was a retired biology professor from Penn State - go PSU!! - who lives closes to us in PA.

Now, we're staying for a month at the Yellowstone's Edge campground 20 miles south of Livingston, MT - we were here for a couple weeks back in mid-July also. (Were you here then JBMcG? - think there was another Airstream here for a night or 2 then.)

We've had snow on the mountains here the past 2 nights and it was supposed to snow in Yellowstone last night also. Anybody passing by this way, stop in to say "Hi" - bring your fishing rod if you want to know the "secret" hot spots!
flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 05:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Flyfisher, you are killing me! School just started for the year, my last year teachng, or we'd be out there in Gypsy with our rods rigged, ready for the hot spots! We can only imagine that part of the country we have grown to love in its fall colors. After this year, we'll be on the road heading somewhere in October, I swear we will, God willing Glacier was so beautiful! We came very close to centering in Missoula this summer, but Boulder Valley pulled us in again. Maybe next year. Hopefully we'll meet you and swap fishing and camping stories, not just pass and blink lights
1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:01 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member
1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Two, on I-75 South of Valdosta, Georgia........

Driving North out of Florida around 5:00 P.M. on Monday afternoon of this week (August 23rd) heading North; one heading South. Both looked to be 31 feet long; both were pulled by Ford pick-ups; both had the slow erosion thing going with the clearcoat on the top half of the trailer. Didn't get to see the license plates. I was envious that they were headed somewhere; anywhere.

joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote