Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Thank YOU!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt08 View Post
State Parks in Florida?
We love Oscar Scherer State Park in Osprey, just south of Sarasota, Anastasia State Park near St. Augustine and St. George Island on the panhandle.
That's exactly what I was looking for places you have actually stayed at and love!!! They all look good in the book when it's 20 out and snowing.

Many thanks,
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
After Xmas we're off to Charleston, then Savannah, then Daytona, then Stuart, Orlando, Tampa, Biloxi, and then a couple days in NOLA.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt08 View Post
We leave Minnesota right before New Years for Venice, Florida. We'll stay there until early April, then head towards home with stops at St. George Island State Park and Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. We'll make stops in Mississippi and Missouri to judge BBQ competitions. We can hardly wait!
Can I ask where you normally stay around venice? We have been going to Tucson for the last couple of winters and I think we'll go to Florida this winter (Feb-Mar) for a change.

Not sure if we will get to the Gulf coast this time, but when we have before, we always enjoy the Venice area - not too busy, yet lots to do and see and nice beaches.

We stayed several times at the Royal Coachman RV Resort in Nokomis, just North of Venice - nice place but last time we stopped it was getting rather pricey!

Never did come across other nice spots in the area, we tried getting into Oscar Scherer State Park once or twice but always booked up, guess I'll just have to start making reservations!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #64
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Inver Grove Heights , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Can I ask where you normally stay around venice? We have been going to Tucson for the last couple of winters and I think we'll go to Florida this winter (Feb-Mar) for a change.

Not sure if we will get to the Gulf coast this time, but when we have before, we always enjoy the Venice area - not too busy, yet lots to do and see and nice beaches.

We stayed several times at the Royal Coachman RV Resort in Nokomis, just North of Venice - nice place but last time we stopped it was getting rather pricey!

Never did come across other nice spots in the area, we tried getting into Oscar Scherer State Park once or twice but always booked up, guess I'll just have to start making reservations!

Brian.
We have stayed at Oscar Scherer in January the past three years for two weeks each visit. We had to make our reservations WAY in advance as it is a popular state park campground. We love the nice, private campsites. We stay at Camp Venice Retreat on South Venice Avenue for the majority of the time we spend in Florida. In fact, we will be there from January 1st through April 1st this year as well. We like it because it doesn't have that "big park" atmosphere. Hope this helps!
rt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from GA. . .trying to put together a winter trip to Big Bend NP & environs. Problem I have is hanging around younger folks, & while they're a lot more fun than most folks MY age, they're NOT retired like me ! The 2012 trip to Alaska involves a LOT of finding places/times to plug folks in & out of the trip. Even my college son can only make certain segments...I know, I know, I could have a lot worse problems ! ! regards, Craig
Old 11-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
We hope to leave late Dec or early Jan for Venice Fl Our first time traveling in the winter As long as we can get out of the area of cold weather before we have to use the trailer ( Don't want any freeze ups ) nor do we want to encounter slippery roads on the way to Fl . Guess I'll have to watch the weather map and then make a mad dash for it . Any hints would be helpful .
Don
Don.44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Hi from GA. . .trying to put together a winter trip to Big Bend NP & environs. Problem I have is hanging around younger folks, & while they're a lot more fun than most folks MY age, they're NOT retired like me ! The 2012 trip to Alaska involves a LOT of finding places/times to plug folks in & out of the trip. Even my college son can only make certain segments...I know, I know, I could have a lot worse problems ! ! regards, Craig
Hmmmm we to are planning a winter stop to BBNP, but we are younger.
Guess if we see your rig we should stay clear
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs S

Hmmmm we to are planning a winter stop to BBNP, but we are younger.
Guess if we see your rig we should stay clear
You are way too dang young! Just makes us feel old. Carrying on all night long like you do.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
You are way too dang young! Just makes us feel old. Carrying on all night long like you do.
O yea! You know the Rock Stars we are!

So much for making friends...
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:40 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs S

O yea! You know the Rock Stars we are!

So much for making friends...
Hilarious.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #71
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Inver Grove Heights , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don.44 View Post
We hope to leave late Dec or early Jan for Venice Fl Our first time traveling in the winter As long as we can get out of the area of cold weather before we have to use the trailer ( Don't want any freeze ups ) nor do we want to encounter slippery roads on the way to Fl . Guess I'll have to watch the weather map and then make a mad dash for it . Any hints would be helpful .
Don
This will be the 4th year we have made the trip from Minnesota to Florida in late December early January. Just as you mentioned, we have a "window for travel" and watch the weather (including the states between us and Florida) and leave accordingly. Our camper is obviously winterized, so we stay in hotels for our first two nights on the road. We use the book "Next Exit" to help us locate hotels with parking lots large enough to accommodate a truck and camper and to locate gas stations and restaurant parking lots that are "camper friendly" as well. We did drive into some icy roads last year in Tennessee around Nashville. Fortunately, it was only for a few miles, but that's an hour of my life I never want to experience again!
rt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
I think the icy roads bother me the most We too have the book the next Exit and we use a camping book too. I joined the Good Sam club and they are suppose to map us a route . This is out first Winter trip and I am a bit apprehensive . Just have to be ready to head out when the weather map looks Ok and get as many hours in that first day as I can .
Don
Old 12-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
1981 28' Airstream 280
Olympia , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to BusDriver
A busy winter for us, we are in SE Arizona, heading to El Paso, Padre Island, Corpus Christi, the Canopener in Florida and eventually down to the Keys. This is our first winter trip, when it starts getting too warm we will then head north for our summer trip heading east to west. We are keeping a close eye on the weather and planning around the snow.

Nancy
BusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
We work full time and have a kid in college so our camping is more of a summer/fall thing for sure...I'm not a fan of camping in the rain and I'm not going anywhere near snow We're planning on some more renovations to our AS next month so it will travel to our AS guy but other than that, Stella is taking a well deserved brebak until the weather gets nice again! We're in N. Cal so by April it's usually decent unless we're having a rainy spring!
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #75
Elliot/Barbara

Airstream - Other
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fort Collins , Colorado
We just came back from a one month trip from Colorado to Maryland for 10 days, then down to Florida 5 days and back along the Gulf Coast up through Texas and home.

We were lucky to have good weather all the time except for the last two days coming home. We saw very few trailers on our trip and the only Airstreams we saw were parked in the RV park we stayed at in Del Ray Beach, FL.

Although the trip was basically good, the thing that will turn me off from traveling in the winter is that it the days are too short. By the time we pull in, even at 4:30PM it is already getting dark and that really ruins the enjoyment for us.
ElliotA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Thanks . I never thought of that Unless you stop early your setting up in the dark then little or no communication with other campers . I am concearned about the weather I don't think it's the best time of the year to be towing a trailer .
Don
Old 12-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #77
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
constant winter trip

as full time travelers we are always moving...trying to find or evade one season or another....we have spent November touring East Texas and Western Arkansas and are now deep in the hill country of central texas. The past two nights at Lost Maples State park and a frosty 23 degrees.....

we are headed for our winter trip at Picacho Peak and the 4CU New Years Eve rally and then will kick around arizona and california until spring and then head back east......
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
We are planning to go to Santa Barbara and Solvang between Christmas and New Years for about a week. It will be our first real trip in the new AS. A shake down cruise. In February, there is a rally in Napa we may attend since that is only 4 hours from home.
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I just made reservations for Joshua State Park January 20-23. It's a 1400 mile round trip, taking 101 most of the way from northern Ca and looking for a good place to stay around San Luis Obispo to break up the trip. Anyone else headed that way?
Old 12-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Are you going to take a winter trip?

We are heading out from Texas & going to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument this week, then back to Tucson to for Christmas holiday with other streamer friends. Plan to be at the 4CU Rally for New Years. Even tho we live in Texas, we love taking winter trips & meeting up with other Airstream friends. Happy Holidays to everyone!
Victoria & Joseph
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote