Old 11-28-2003, 08:48 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Are you allowed to stay the night at WalMart?

Question,

If your passing through a town and need to catch a little sleep, are you allowed to pull into a Wal Mart and spend 6 to 8 hours there?

Old 11-28-2003, 08:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Generally, yes

Most WalMarts welcome you. There are exceptions, however, when local ordenance prohobits it or WalMart is in a mall and does not control the parking area.

If you will do a search on this forum, there are several threads, including a "current at the time" list of WalMarts where you can not overnight. There are also publications that have similar lists. best to check at the manager's desk. I also make a purchase at that store.

I nearly always see overnighters at the WalMarts in this area.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 09:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Joshua 32064 and Pahaska,

Here's a situation of concern. The city of Whitehorse, Yukon now has a Wal Mart. However, there is a council member, Yvonne Harris, who is pushing to "BAN" rv parking for overnighters.
This came to my attention on RV Business webiste last week.
I urge all Forums members to e-mail Mrs. Harris, yvonne.harris@city.whitehorse.yk.ca and tell her you object as an RVer.
Their campgrounds are limited, and not having a safety net, such as Wal Mart to seek haven when campgrounds are full is unfair.
Three years ago, we were in a predictament, with a campground reservation whose site was unable to accomodate our coach, with no other alternatives. Wal Mart's arrival in Whitehorse is very new.
There is also a Wal Mart in Yellowknife, NWT. A lovely full service town of 30,000 people on the shores of the Great Slave Lake. RV parking is allowed.
I have explained to Mrs. Harris, next year we are heading north again. If she succeeds with her plans to ban overnight RV parking the Whitehorse, Yukon Wal Mart, we will drive a long day from Skagway, Alaska's ferry dock to Dawson City, Yukon (400+ miles) and bypass Whitehorse.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:49 AM   #4
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by Coloradobus

The city of Whitehorse, Yukon now has a Wal Mart. However, there is a council member, Yvonne Harris, who is pushing to "BAN" rv parking for overnighters.
This came to my attention on RV Business webiste last week.
I urge all Forums members to e-mail Mrs. Harris, yvonne.harris@city.whitehorse.yk.ca and tell her you object as an RVer.
Coloradobus, the email to Ms. Harris is sent; text as follows:

"Greetings, Ms. Harris.

I am a member of an Airstream RV forum on the internet. One of our members recently wrote that you have concerns regarding RVs parking overnight in commercial parking lots such as Wal-Mart. I am an RV owner, and while I have only infrequently stayed in such a place, I have done it when necessity dictates. There are occasions where there are no nearby campgrounds to use; or here in the Midwest, campgrounds are closed for the season when I've been travelling as was the case two weeks ago when I overnighted at the Wal-Mart in Lexington, NE AFTER seeking and receiving permission from management.

I can also tell you that I am the Chief of Police in Tipton, IA. We regularly have RVs in our Wal-Mart parking lot. I have not once had any complaints regarding those folks' demeanor nor have I had complaints regarding their conduct during their overnight stays. Wal-Mart and our community welcome them as they almost always purchase supplies and gasoline during their brief stay in our community.

Our city has not experienced any problems with transients in campers trying to 'live' in Wal-Mart parking lots.

I'm not sure what your concerns might be, but please feel free to contact me regarding any concerns you may have on this issue.

Best regards,

Roger"
Old 11-29-2003, 08:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Thumbs up right on

most excellent roger...exactly my sediments......
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 09:04 AM   #6
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Lightbulb

I bet she's related to Florida's Ms Harris

Hart
Old 11-30-2003, 06:58 AM   #7
nds
3 Rivet Member

Hey! Is that a Kentucky hat in that picture? Go Cats!
Old 11-30-2003, 05:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Thanks Roger for your support. I hope others who feel strongly about this loss of choice, will also contact Ms Yvonne Harris.yvonne.harris.@city.Whitehorse.yk.ca
Old 11-30-2003, 05:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Correction: yvonne.harris@city.whitehorse.yk.ca
Old 11-30-2003, 07:55 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

The only thing that makes sense to a casual observer is that she might very well have her hand in the till at the local campground.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Here in Durango Co it was the local campgrounds that opposed overnight parking at WalMart.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Here's the actual text from RV Businesshttp://www.rvbusiness.com/output.cfm...319&Newswire=1
Old 12-01-2003, 11:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

see above
Old 12-01-2003, 03:53 PM   #14
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Ms. Harris responds...

Yvonne Harris of Whitehorse YK responded to my email listed earlier in this thread.

Following is the text of her response:

"My concern is for the local businesses who have put their life savings into developing their campgrounds and are now threatened with bankrupcy (at least in one case) because of the overwhelming use of the Wal-mart site. We are not talking about a dozen RVs. There are up to 88 some nights.

I think there is a need for campsites with minimal services as not everyone needs a $25 site and full services - that is something I am working on; I dont think we should go against our own by-laws and as a result put hard working busines people at financial risk."

Roger