Old 12-06-2003, 09:47 PM   #29
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by Coloradobus
Roger,

I had a conversation with a lady who lives in Whitehorse this past week.
Apparently the RV parking problem is just that. I understand now why everyone is so bent out of shape. We are talking upwards of 80, yes eighty RV's that stay more than one night, run their slide rooms out, put up their BBQ's and lawn mats and chairs.
The residence of Whitehorse pay a good price for their water as well.
These RV's who stay on the Wal mart land, then go and dump and fill their tanks at the campgrounds. Some have also used the car washing facilities these campground owners provide for their guests free of charge.
This gal said they tried to limit the number of RV's that camp at their Wal Mart, but that did not work either.
So many are camping and abusing Wal Marts hospitality, that regular shoppers are finding it tough to park. The traffic mayhem is so bad with cars and pedestrians weaving in and around parked RVs, a safety issue has been raised.
I haven't spoken directly with Yvonne Harris yet, I'll do so after they have their council meeting.
I mailed her a couple of my ideas, so I'll wait to hear back.

This appears to be a classic case of a few ruining it for all of us. Unfortunately, the RV Business article omitted the RV count. They just stated in their article that Whitehorse wanted to ban Wal Mart RV parking. No further info was presented and I drew my own conclusion. Jumped a little to high, I think.
It sounds like they have legitimate issues. I'm not sure what their solution should be, but I think that a good starting place would be to work with Wal-Mart Corporate offices in dealing with the problem. Please keep us posted. I'd hate for this to develop into a continent-wide issue.

Roger

Old 12-09-2003, 12:54 AM   #30
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
WOW...

>>This appears to be a classic case of a few ruining it for all of us. <<

No LIE...
& that seems to be what's happening. I "jumped too high" too I think. I wrote to the congresswoman...on the basis that the reports were exaggerated...which, now it appears,
....they were not.

I just hope that there is enough representation of people like those of you who have the right 'spin' on this...to also get Wal*Mart to figure out a solution, so that it doesn't become continental restrictions.

Excuse me...while I go write a new eMail to Congresswoman Harris.
I hope the jury's still out.

Old 12-09-2003, 12:59 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Seems there should be an easy fix to this kind of problem. Perhaps a one day sticker for units that wish to stay overnight? Wal-Marts aren't open 24/7, but even if someone pulled in during the night they wouldn't be there longer than two nights at the max?
Old 12-09-2003, 01:35 AM   #32
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Amended eMail

Ok..

I've sent the amended eMail to Congresswoman Harris...I copied our Webmaster Andy with both the first one (where I jumped too high...and the last one where I corrected myself...
and I hope she will help us all to convince Wal*Mart to create some sort of restriction to eliminate the abusive minority...and not ruin the privilege for all of us.
I agree with those of you who said, sounds like these "RVers" are NOT "Royal Trailer Trash"...but just T.T. Sad...but, I think it's time (progress you know)...it's time to lay out some restrictions.

I hope you will keep us "posted" of the outcome of the Council Meeting in Whitehorse, who was it "Coloradobus".?. Roger?

& Hey! I WILL....I WILL call the Whitehorse Wal*Mart this weekend.
Was someone else calling the Wal*Mart Corporate offices?
Let's find out for ourselves... If you want me to call the both...let me know. For now, I'm "on" for calling the Whitehorse one.
If someone else is going to phone the corporate office, please PM me...or eMail me at TinLizzy8131@yahoo.com, and tell me you've done it.

Anyone who gets a reply from anyone about this (Ms. Harris, etc.) ---please post it.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:00 AM   #33
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Security Checks

>>Seems there should be an easy fix to this kind of problem. Perhaps a one day sticker for units that wish to stay overnight? Wal-Marts aren't open 24/7, but even if someone pulled in during the night they wouldn't be there longer than two nights at the max?<<

The WAL*MART in Lynnwood, Washington has a Security Guard who is scheduled to go out and 'clear' the lot of---(?whatever?) and I asked him one night (as a shopper), what the rule was there about the RV parking...and he said he just "looks the other way" as long as they don't get "too comfortable".

Maybe he does a 'tire-marker' reminder---(like "Lovely Rita, Meter Maid".) Not a bad idea. (I think ONE night is reasonable...I mean the idea is that it be used for emergencies only---to catch a few winks to not be an endangerment on the road due to road fatique...right?)

Anyway, the security guard at the WM shrugged when I asked him, before he replied, and didn't seem to feel it was much of his night's biggest problems (probably wasn't---as I said, I think the biggest gathering counted a BIG 5 count of rigs).

g'nite all...
Old 12-09-2003, 02:08 AM   #34
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Hey "Nds"

>>Go Cats<<

Thank you...

oh yeah...where was I?
oh yeah ....g'nite
Old 12-17-2003, 09:29 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Braxton , Mississippi
Camp Ground Rates

The best deals on camping here in the Southeast I've found are the State Parks $12-20. Less if you are a senior. Avoid the Mom & Pop places, they can be pretty high, to give you an example, St. Francisville, LA. Run down M&P counted heads when we checked in, I could have rented a motel 6 for less than I paid. A couple of outstanding state parks are Fort Pickens on Santa Rosa Island, FL. St. Joe peninsula, FL. and Buccaneer on Miss. Gulf coast
Old 12-17-2003, 10:52 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Whitehorse, Yukon

As of yesterday Dec.16, the Whitehorse City Council has not made up its mind what to do about the Wal Mart parking issue.
They have decided to wait until after the first of the year.

Another issue, VW Touareg. After much quandary with local dealers (non will admit to what has been publicized recently) they are still sticking to their guns when it comes to the Touareg's towing capabilities.
My local dealer sent me off to VW central to ask my question about using a load-leveling hitch. Response was, unless you exceed the total hitch weight of 616 lbs, and total trailer weight they state in their brochures, you don't need an equalizing hitch.
Pooo, I'm almost ready to take the Globetrotter over there and hook it up if they have a Touareg with a hitch and watch the Globetrotter's 350 lb tongue weight push down on the backside if the VW SUV.
After seeing what has been posted here, the Touareg maybe able to tow a tent trailer. We'll keep our Discovery Land Rover. With body-on-frame construction, its a truck!
Old 01-14-2004, 09:50 PM   #37

NO PARKING AT W/M FOR ME

I did a 17K mile round trip from south Florida to British Columbia last summer. My first experience

Never once found it necesary to stop at a W/M, nor would I have
Amazing to me why some think that because "they" are there the camping privilege is built in. And being sleepy is hardly an excuse. Driving tired pulling a several ton Rv is hardly an intelligent thing to consider

Every RV park I stopped in and there were dozens, was spotless, in the grounds and in the showers, never once did I have a reason to complain.Never did I pay over 25$ for a nite with full hook up. Never once did I have to make a reservation ahead of time either

Only one place I stopped was noisy, brand new and next to a truk stop wherein there were dozens of truks with engines running all nite, I solved that problem by turning the A/C on all nite an hunkering under the down comforter

I for one hardly want to be associated with RVers who think parking where ever they please is a "right" cause they are Rving on the cheap

These types remind me of the gypsy caravans I saw when I was a child, and those were as welcome as I think W/M freeloaders should be considered

I don't shop at W/M, far to much of the goods are cheap garbage from China and other 3rd world countries, I was raised, "you get what you pay for", and I prefer to buy and keep rather than use an toss,

Eventually, I'm sure the W/M stores will rule overniters off the parking lots

Answer this question......
If you were the owner of an Rv campground near a W/M and saw your income being siphoned off wouldn't you complain? I certainly would, str8t to the local zoning commission

And this one......
Would you welcome several of these types to park on YOUR front yard,and have it happen on a regular basis?
Old 01-14-2004, 10:54 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Well, excuse me!

I think you need to get down off your high horse.

I frequently travel long distances solo to music festivals. Yes, when the weather allows it, I often stop overnight at Flying Js and other truck stops, Wal Marts, and anywhere else that I consider a safe place that will allow me to grab a few hours sleep.

When I stop for the night, I am not interested in paying for perks I have no use for such as showers and pools. I always ask permission and reward my 'hosts" by making some purchases such as breakfast and refueling.

No campground is entitled to my business. In the rare event that campgrounds offer a cut-rate no-utility site (in all my travels, I have found just one such in New Mexico), I am glad to pay for a safe place to spend the night.

And, yes, I shop at Wal-Mart and Sams.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:41 PM   #39
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
If you were the owner of an Rv campground near a W/M and saw your income being siphoned off wouldn't you complain? I certainly would, str8t to the local zoning commission
You are attempting to legislate income and it won't work. If people 'camp' in Walmart (very few from what I have seen) and the local campground owner gets an ordinance passed to make it illegal most likely they aren't going to use the paid facilities, but will find a different free parking lot to stay in. Anyone that considers a week on an asphalt lot a vacation won't be deterred because their favorite spot is suddenly off limits.

A $5 a night no hook up space on a gravel lot would solve the problem. So why don't the campground owners that feel they are loosing income because of the Walmart overnighters provide a low cost, safer, more desirable alternative instead of running to the town/city council?

John
Old 01-14-2004, 11:45 PM   #40
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Tisk, tisk, tisk, Rix.......... not the best way to make friends here on what appears to be your first or second post......

I don't really agree with your post and firmly believe you are wrong in your assumption that WM will kick folks needing a place to grab a wink off.

The basis on your comment is that simply that it has no fact to back it. Come back when you have fact to back what you post...otherwise you are only a troll......

....and it appears you are selling your Airstream in another post, so I suppose all this is moot..... http://www.airforums.com/forum...0832#post70832

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 12:58 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Gotta say I agree with you guys about the no frills area of a campground. Perhaps I would stay in a campground IF this was an option! I hate paying for something I'm not getting! I'm not a camper, I'm a Traveler. All I want is some place safe to park... WalMarts. K-Marts (yup, have spent a night or two there!) truck stops, roadside pull overs, fairgrounds, and the like. I'm self contained.... I don't mind paying to dump tanks. But I can run the gen set if I HAVE to have power! I have been taken aback, and astounded at what some camp grounds charge! For very little more I could stay in a Motel 6. Which has everything I need to be comfortable overnight..... As an xlt (ex lady truckdriver) I'm familiar and comfortable with truck stops.... it doesn't bother me a lick to go in, sign up for a shower, pay my money, request extra towels (no extra fee) because women use more towels than men
We left home last September 9, and returned home October 28.
Spent one night in a bare bones park in Cairo Il.
That bare bones park cost a whole five bucks! Room for lots of campers but only three of us in there! We watched the boats on both the Mighty Mississip, and the Ohio, built a campfire in the provided ring, kicked back and enjoyed ourselves, watched the traffic on the bridges. If we had plugged in to the power, our fee would have been $10! and get this: it was on an honor system! Nobody checked us in or out, put the money or check in an envelope, put the thing in the drop box, and I was registered! Talk about enjoyable!
Much more so than the nights spent in asphalt parking lots.
But then, our rig is a mobile hotel room, with amenities, not a camping experience..... we bought it to make showing the dogs easier, and easier for the dogs. And have found along the way, we all are more rested and relaxed, can take naps between shows, fix snacks, have friends in for home made soup to share.....
Old 01-15-2004, 04:44 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Hello RIX,
Pray tell, where is your Campground (Place)?
Always fascinated by the high and mighty!
Dick