Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you prefer two lanes or interstates?
Two lanes? 105 78.36%
Multi-lane interstates? 29 21.64%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Two Lane Roads

Most of the time I prefer the two lane roads for the slower pace, the more intimate contact with the scenery and roadside businesses.

I general use Interstates only when I am in a hurry.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Thumbs up Interstate!

My time is limited since I'm still working so I need to get to the campground asap--not to mention the little kid in the backseat saying "are we there yet?"
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:02 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
How about this

I prefer two lane routes to interstates because in some cases they're better maintaned. I traveled US 2 to Glacier last year the whole way except were it intersects I-90 and travels it for awhile Yuck!
I-90 had some real crappy expansion joint problems, I thought I had blown a tire for 10 miles. US 2 was for the most part was real smooth and recently overlayed with new blacktop, Plus I got to see the heart of america. The people and towns along the way, and eat in restraunts that were not chain restuarants like Dennys.

I will use the interstate to bypass big cities like spokane and then get back on US 2 the rest off the way. If I can find a way it will be the two lane way.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
During weekend trips to state parks here in Ohio, we always use the 2 lanes. Best way to see the season's change, watch the crops grow and being harvested and last weekend we "stumbled" across a city-wide Strawberry Festival which we never would have been able to enjoy had we been on the Interstate. I like to think we'll always try to use the 2 laners, but if we're going across country, I just don't know. There is something to be said about the safety factor of the Interstates. But, having retired last April 1st (2008) we find that time is now on our side - and we're enjoying taking it as easy as possible.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
We like two lanes roads mostly. We have done our only two outings with our trailer on two lane roads with good results. We have how ever over the last 8 yrs traveled US 127 North from Southern OHIO into Michigan almost every month for a monthly family gathering. We find it as almost as fast and about 40 miles shorter that U would be routed by MapQuest.
My wife prefers two laners ,She says "I Cant see nuffin on Interstates". We as Pilgrim find the grain being Harvested ,all kinds of livestock and farmers working in the fields,better that seening nothing from the Interstates
INTERSTATE HIGHWAYS / BORING
But to each his own. We are retired and not in a hurry .Not to mention the fuel savings at slower speeds,even with the small town stop and go.
Everyone has their own thing and TWO Laners is ours.
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #46

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We like the two lanes through the small towns of America, but we find ourselves on I-30 something most often. We often take the Interstate business loops to get a little local flavor. We just spent a month in Maine where they have only one I-anything. It was kind of refreshing.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
two lanes for me!

I prefer the less-traveled routes, not contending with big trucks and fast traffic, and you get to see the real America and not just the same old uninteresting mile after mile of concrete interstates. My husband tends to like the wider faster roads, but if I have anything to say about it, we stay off of them and out into the countryside. Course he won't let me drive while we're towing (it's a control thing), so I don't always get my way. Kinda depends on if we are coming home and want to get there the quickest way possible, or if we are leisurely traveling to our destination.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
I am new to towing but I have found that the big rigs tend to make me sway every time they pass, so I have kept to the 2 lanes, which seem to be very pleasant. I hope some day i can learn to control the trailer and get back on the interstates, because I do like their conveniences and cell towers!
frscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #49

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by frscott View Post
I am new to towing but I have found that the big rigs tend to make me sway every time they pass, so I have kept to the 2 lanes, which seem to be very pleasant. I hope some day i can learn to control the trailer and get back on the interstates, because I do like their conveniences and cell towers!
If you are swaying every time a semi passes you, you need to readdress your towing set-up. That should not be happening.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:20 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by frscott View Post
Hi, frscott; Your tow vehicle and trailer seem to be a good match, maybe you should check out your hitch or read some of the posts on hitches. [might help]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
Will do! Glad to hear that this is not normal. It was sure peaceful taking 287 north from south texas, beautiful highway, beautiful scenery!
frscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:02 AM   #52
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
287 runs from Port Arthur Texas on the Gulf Coast to within a few miles of Canada, routing thru Fort Worth, Amarillo, Denver and Yellowstone National Park. A favorite of mine, lifelong.

I see that there are those who believe that 2-laners are better maintained. While it is true that Interstates account for around 2% of all highways, they nevertheless carry 25% of the traffic. The commercial traffic -- for which they were built -- relieves the secondary road burden.

As for those concerned -- rightfully -- about the quality of 2-laners, then a truckers atlas is a good addition to trip planning as it marks the non-Interstate routes for heavy commercial vehicles; routes that must have better sight lines, wider lanes, better shoulders, better signage, proper banking, better lighting, etc.

These alternatives to Interstates can be fast travel, with less traffic, and one can often find better places to stop and eat.

I recommend a guide to truck stops for the same reason. One may not ever need diesel, but knowing where mechanical help is available may be good, as is the fact that most truck stops are 24-hr operations. Port-in-a-storm.

The Texas FM and RR system is different, however. These roads are meant to be connectors of farms and ranches to bigger roads or to towns, and often have poor sight lines, shoulders, etc. Don't be surprised by 15-mph turns, reverse banking, and inconsistent maintenance. Speed limits may be high, and truck traffic (RV's, IMO) may be regulated to a slower speed. I long ago learned to love them for 45-mph travel with a well-tuned straight six. Beware of loose livestock. With a certainty they are the roads to travel for birding.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:14 AM   #53
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
The Texas FM and RR system is different, however. These roads are meant to be connectors of farms and ranches to bigger roads or to towns, and often have poor sight lines, shoulders, etc. Don't be surprised by 15-mph turns, reverse banking, and inconsistent maintenance. Speed limits may be high, and truck traffic (RV's, IMO) may be regulated to a slower speed. I long ago learned to love them for 45-mph travel with a well-tuned straight six. Beware of loose livestock. With a certainty they are the roads to travel for birding.
I found a document on the net (which I can not locate again) that specifies that Texas FM and RM roads are defined to be built without shoulders, although I am seeing more shoulders in built-up areas. I drive a curvy, shoulderless, FM road every day with a 55 speed limit (I hold up traffic if I drive my usual 60).

OTOH, much of Texas is wide open with very little traffic and the FM and RM roads are simply a great way to travel. There are stretches of miles without a curve in sight. The small towns are interesting and many towns have a cafe where the food is good and reasonably priced. On the average, I have found smoother pavement on FM and RM roads than I find on the interstate.

The GPS tends to underestimate the speed you can make on these roads and will avoid them if you use the "fastest" mode. The GPS is the best way to know in plenty of time that a slow curve is coming up.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
My husband is a "driver." He loves to be out on the road. He breaks all the rules for maximum miles per day towing. He is a driver seat dominator. I never get or even have to drive on trips.
He likes all the roads. Back roads for scenic quality and interstate for convenience.
We just received our Winter 2009 Airstream Life and he was practically giddy over the article on page 47. "America's Scariest Tows"
He said he was putting it on his "Bucket List" which is a phrase I have never heard him use.
He gets excited over driving any vehicle; from the tiniest sports car to the manliest truck. We have a tractor and a backhoe and he enjoys any excuse to rent a man toy.
He likes motorcycles. (on and off-road) He has owned both but he is not into collecting or amassing so he sells anything he doesn't feel he has sufficient time to utilize.
He is an avid bicyclist and prefers back roads. He logs 1000's of miles per year and knows every two-lane road within 50 miles of our home. He almost always plans his rides to include a lap through Mistletoe Park campground and if he spies an Airstream we always go out in my 2006 VW GTI or our son's Miata to investigate after he pedals back into our driveway.
A phrase that I hear often is "Do you wanna go out for a drive?" He drives just to drive! I am an A-to-B person myself so I don't mind.
We have two sons. One inherited their Dad's driving gene and the other has my A-to-B gene.

So, for towing, we fit into that 3rd category that is not on the survey. We like all the roads.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:42 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We prefer the traveling good State roads. I can't count the number of times we have stopped and just walked around and took photos. Traveling these type of roads allows us to visit some great towns that would be bypassed on the Interstate. During our travels I have never experienced a difficult time locating a parking space for our vehicle and trailer. Another benefit is the great eating places we would have missed.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #56
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The small towns are interesting and many towns have a cafe where the food is good and reasonably priced.

Yup, I can find a GREAT chicken fried steak in Hamlin, TX (on the road from unknown to nowhere)! Better than Abilene or even Sweetwater (on I-20). A full meal with dessert, and change from a $10 after a big city tip.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Usually we plan enough time to use the least use of freeways on our Magellan roadmate GPS. It is far more interesting and relaxing and if we start to run short on time, we just reprogram the gps.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote