Old 06-14-2005, 06:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:45 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Jarrettown , Pennsylvania
Sho 'nuff! If we need to board her briefly, we will seek out a vet's office (thanks for the suggestion) or a groomer, and get her buffed and fluffed (thanks for that suggestion too) as we swelter on a hike or tour. I tried friends of ours to get them to house-sit and/or dog-sit, but no one was biting for the full five weeks, so she comes along! I find she is nearly immune to the regular choke-chain when she gets animal scent, and becomes merely a nose with feet, blind and deaf, but the Gentle Leader turns her into a completely different dog. Not only does it physically control her head, as one would a horse (don't think of controlling a horse with a rope around the neck!), but apparently it has a psychological component as well, as alpha leaders grasp underlings around the muzzle to assert their authority. She is instantly responsive. (She also spends time trying to paw it off, but to no avail.) I figure, some hours of periodic discomfort on her part as she is kenneled somewhere is a small price for her to pay to be with us the vast majority of the time. Since we are bringing a Saturn wagon for a toad, we are able to split up our party as well - i.e., husband will take kids on an outing and Mom will stay home, dog-sit, have dinner ready, and have a mental health day herself. Good plan, eh?

pbnjsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Have a wonderful trip with your new motor home. I am looking forward to hearing about it upon your return.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Have any extra room???

We missed picking one up and wish we had of later many times as we kicked the water bowl in the trailer. Camping world has a no spill water bowl that really works - so if you don't have one it is worth the quick stop (if there is such a thing) at camping world.

Have a great trip - and start a little journal because you will surely miss have the stuff when you get back.
Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright now, then it is not the end.
GT1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:38 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Glad to hear that the doggie is going along on your wonderful family trip! We travel with our 70 pound girl and have not had any problems. She is 10 years old, very good and is just as happy being left in the Airstream for a few hours to nap. We make sure the A/C is working and check on her often. I have friends who have called local pet sitters with great success. One time their two doggies were picked up at the boat rental place in Oregon and then they picked them up at the ladies house after the boad ride. I guess you just have to investigate and trust the locals who want your business and vacation dollars to recommend and ensure the safety of your best friends. Good luck and have a safe and enjoyable trip!
WolfSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:05 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
Take a day and float the Colorado. It's awesome. We were at the Grand Canyon last summer. We went to Mesa Verde and Durango. Lots to do. Have fun and post details.

early is offline   Reply With Quote