Old 04-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Are these tires safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
As protagonist stated Airstream does not want liability - the Goodyear tires which come equipped as standard equipment on all Airstream products are safe. Are their better products available, in many peoples minds, yes. But, for reason which may or may not be of interest to you. I for one like to drive either at or above the speed limit, no matter what it is, so we have an F350 Diesel and tow our 30' at 70MPH if the speed limit is such and conditions warrant. The Goodyears are not rated for such sustained speeds, the 16" Michelins LT Tires we have are. But, the Michelins hold less weight.

If I were you and you don't like to travel fast, keep them for a while, see how they work for you and then decide before you make an expensive choice to switch to new tires and possibly new wheels. I've had discussions with Airstream on this very subject and came away feeling they are not staying with Goodyear simply because they are less expensive than some other brand but because they have confidence in the product. Plus, I've had the privilege of running a couple of operations in business where these types of decisions come up a lot.
Then why did Airstream choose to install 16'LTX Michelins on their upscale more expensive Eddie Bauer edition???
Has nobody googled Goodyear Marathon failure?Sorry but when I see a product fail repeatedly I choose not run these on my Airstream.
Good luck to those who bury your heads in the sand and choose to run these tires.I hope you are not involved in these catastrophic tire failures that so many have had.Reported damage repair costs exceeds $5000 on average on our trailers.
These tires may be great for a lightweight utility trailer but have proven to be a problem on travel trailer and the older they are the more prone to failure they become.
Be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 04-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
If you decide to replace your brand new 15" tires, let me know and I'll take them off of your hands.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:13 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Has nobody googled Goodyear Marathon failure?Sorry but when I see a product fail repeatedly I choose not run these on my Airstream.
I did. I found no reports of failures since 2011. Whatever quality control problems Goodyear had with their Marathon line appear to have been corrected. Either that or everyone who experienced failures since 2011 has decided not to post to the Internet about it.

At one time— back in 2001— there was a massive recall of Firestone tires due to reports of failures. People haven't quit using Firestones because of it, either.

But if you have information about more recent Goodyear Marathon failures, by all means point us to them so we can read up on them.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
It appears that Chicken-Little has hacked another computer.

Michelins make some fine tires but Goodyear is an industry solid, and the tires selected by Airstream for the Eddie Bauer are like many of the other "trim enhancements" in that model.... eye-candy, but not a true "upgrade". The load carrying capacity ratings are higher with the Goodyears.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Moflash:

I switched because I don't want to be restricted by the speed limits of STS tires, and in my opinion therein lies the biggest problem with all STS tires and Goodyears. People do not know or ignore the speed warning in the literature they receive when they get the tires and which is stamped on the sidewall. They tend to drive with traffic, and the tires simply are not designed to take the speed, belt separates and problems occur. Every and any tire can fail. We had good luck even with new Goodyears, but switched to the 16" Michelins for the reason given and have had good luck with them as well.

When I called the factory I asked about the 16' as standard on the EB edition and I did not get a technical answer as to why they made the switch I received an appearance answer and was further told that both tires, Goodyear and Michelins are good safe products provided by the manufacturer and Airstream.

I am happy with our decision to go to Michelins, but know that Michelin corporate has no relationship with corporate Airstream, Goodyear does. Airstream corporate buys the 16" tires and wheels from a local Michelin dealer right in town where they are located, not from Michelin.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Are these tires safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I did. I found no reports of failures since 2011. Whatever quality control problems Goodyear had with their Marathon line appear to have been corrected. Either that or everyone who experienced failures since 2011 has decided not to post to the Internet about it.

At one time— back in 2001— there was a massive recall of Firestone tires due to reports of failures. People haven't quit using Firestones because of it, either.

But if you have information about more recent Goodyear Marathon failures, by all means point us to them so we can read up on them.
In your Google search box type 'Goodyear Marathon tire blow out 'or 'Goodyear Marathon tire failure'
Keep scrolling threw the failures and you will find that all years to current are mentioned.You will have to search but they are listed
Also search Airstream forums and you will find that these failures continue to plague travel trailer owners.
These tires are problematic to this day.When they go they blow and it appears the tread flies off without warning as most pictures show.

Another good Google search'Goodyear Marathon Catastrophic failure'

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-24-2015, 04:27 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
Are these tires safe?

Good info all. I want tires that would allow me to run 70 mph. Don't mind moving from GYM to Michelin, but is it really necessary to upgrade from 15" to 16"? If can stay with 15" wheel, which Michelin should I upgrade to?
Old 04-24-2015, 06:07 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Good info all. I want tires that would allow me to run 70 mph. Don't mind moving from GYM to Michelin, but is it really necessary to upgrade from 15" to 16"? If can stay with 15" wheel, which Michelin should I upgrade to?
If my trailer weighed over 8k I would switch to 16" wheels.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:52 AM   #23
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Speed Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
There is some provision in the GoodYear Marathon use guide or a letter somewhere for increased speed above the normal 65 MPH restriction. The Maxis 15" ST tires are rated at speeds above 65 MPH.

There is one 15" Michelin tire that may be suitable. It is a P metric LTX M/S2 P235/75/15 108T (118 MPH) XL. It has a derated load capacity of 1985lbs. The same weight capacity as a load range C LT tire of the same size. You would be going down in weight carrying capacity from the original GYMs. There are people using this tire on a trailer of similar size and weight as yours. You would need careful consideration of individual wheel position loads. I use this tire on my trailer with a GVWR of 7,100lbs.

A high weight capacity 15" tire is the GoodYear Cargo G26 225/70/15 112R (106 MPH) load range D. 2,470 lbs at 65 PSI.

Good luck with your decision in tires. Just know that whatever you decide, someone here will think it is a great decision, while others will think it is a horrible decision.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #24
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
60psi for speeds up to 65. 70psi if you intend to run over 65 mph is what i read. funny how the folks post these horror stories but never follow thru with just what they were doing at the time. as was noted several times, abusing a tire in the past will catch up with you in the future. without knowing just why a tire failed, i will simply stick with what AS put on the trailer. i have to assume they knew what they were doing in the first place. from that point on, its up to me to make sure inflation is correct and i am driving at a reasonable and prudent speed for the rubber i have on the road and that i have not overloaded the trailer. i have also read that at about 6 years of age, you should be suspect as the sidewalls start to loose some flexibility. of course this is all dependent on how you care for your tires, covered when outside, or stored inside away from the damaging sun.