Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

ps: Gene, we had no income tax until WWI. How in heck did we get by? Of course, no cars made a difference...
Sleighs. Now you have snowmobiles.

Who needs roads in Canada?

Gene

Old 01-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #30
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
We hit a chuckhole the other day coming west toward Phoenix on I-10 that should have blown the right front were it not for my Goodyear 12-ply.I'm thinking of founding a web site called "crummy roads.org"

Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Bad Roads Due to Bad Construction

In addition to neglect - which affects many of our roads - I have noticed another maybe more disturbing phenomenon: bad construction. Here's an example.

There's a stretch of US 101 NB from Cloverdale to Ukiah which was repaved about 3 years ago. But, you could barely go 50MPH without launching your car into space because of the huge swales built into the paving surface. Ok, then they tore it up in portions again, and repaved once more. Slight improvement, but seriously not much better. I was through there last week and they are working on it again. But still, you can't drive 65MPH in a car. It seems to my eye to be a 100% incompetent paving job. This kind of stuff is very common on the roads I travel in Ca.

So, even when the finally put some money in to the roads, they seem to be getting sub-standard work - e.g. low bidder quality.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
Bad Roads Due to Bad Construction

In addition to neglect - which affects many of our roads - I have noticed another maybe more disturbing phenomenon: bad construction. Here's an example.

There's a stretch of US 101 NB from Cloverdale to Ukiah which was repaved about 3 years ago. But, you could barely go 50MPH without launching your car into space because of the huge swales built into the paving surface. Ok, then they tore it up in portions again, and repaved once more. Slight improvement, but seriously not much better. I was through there last week and they are working on it again. But still, you can't drive 65MPH in a car. It seems to my eye to be a 100% incompetent paving job. This kind of stuff is very common on the roads I travel in Ca.

So, even when the finally put some money in to the roads, they seem to be getting sub-standard work - e.g. low bidder quality.
BTW, I'm diggin' those new mirrors in your Avitar!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
I have been driving since 1965 and my opinion is that the roads are in the best condition ever! Plus, cars and trucks are the best ever.

We have taken many road trips, mainly Ark to Neb, Ark to Ottawa, ON. Also west to NM and to CO.

I remember the past family trips from NW Ark to Ontario in the late 50's. Rt 66 was a 4 lane treat, but best remembered as a fond memory. My main memories of those trips were going thru downtown Gary, IN. We did part of the old Rt66 trip to NM in 2010 and will do it again.

Consistency of signage, lane markings, road improvements have made the roads better and safer.

Now, if something could be done with the DWT (driving while texting). More common than DWI, so much more dangerous.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
Possibly true. US 50 from Grand Junction to Delta, Co., was completely rebuilt and 4-laned from around 2000 and for several years after. It is bumpy and some parts have been repaved. The state and the contractor should have known the Colorado Plateau is clay, some of it very expansive and you have to build for that. No one was watching.

The arrogance of contractors who take enormous time to build anything and make it very hard to get through the area is also difficult to live through.

Gene
Old 01-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
I agree that it doesn't matter what side of the aisle one is on, neither side has kept our infrastructure up to date, now many studies say we need at least 2 TRILLION dollars to get it back up. Study: $2 trillion needed for U.S. infrastructure - The Washington Post
This includes roads, electric grids, water and sewage, etc. Some may think we pay a lot of taxes, but what is that money getting spent on? Not rebuilding our electrical grid and transportation system.... unless it's to transport troops I guess...We have so much debt we can't get anything done...
Old 01-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

The arrogance of contractors who take enormous time to build anything and make it very hard to get through the area is also difficult to live through.

Gene
Oh brother! That's whole 'nother thing. I can't believe how slow some of these projects go. Sometimes you drive by and there will be 6 workers on a 8 mile long project. They put those K-rails up and they are there for years on end.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post
I have been driving since 1965 and my opinion is that the roads are in the best condition ever! Plus, cars and trucks are the best ever.

Cool. It is good to hear that opinion from someone with so much experience! Thanks!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
BTW, I'm diggin' those new mirrors in your Avitar!
Me too! The recommendations I get around here are awesome!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
At least we have a chance Avoiding The Pot Holes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
We hit a chuckhole the other day coming west toward Phoenix on I-10 that should have blown the right front were it not for my Goodyear 12-ply.I'm thinking of founding a web site called "crummy roads.org"
It's the bridges that scare me more!!!! ... Kinda puts pot holes in a hole different perspective, at least where I come from!!!! (Do Not Blink) while out and about!

My photo album; http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...e=22&ppuser=83
TRfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #40
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
In Colorado, a chemical called "Mag Chloride" is sprayed on the roads so the the freezing point of the road way changes to a much lower point; However, the roads and more so the bridges are taking a pounding! This liquid salt is eating away the steel bridges at an alarming rate! It also pays havoc on concrete, not to mention what it does to the underside of cars! I took my T.V. to the shop because I heard a funny noise in the front-end, the problem was drive train seal failed due to... you guessed it "MAG CHLORIDE" ... My Mechanic stated that 2 out of 5 cars he works on are plagued with mass amounts of corrosion and seals failing due to this stuff!
The purpose of this stuff is to make the roads safer to drive on in cold winter conditions, I believe that its simply not worth the mass destruction on the bridges, roadways, and the safety of your vehicle, just so people can travel 5 to 10 mph faster!

Do other states uses this chemical and if so do you see the damage it is causing? It seams "TO ME" that this stuff should be ban!!!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:19 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
That mag chloride stuff is awful. It also is killing the vegetation and trees along the roads. I've been washing my car every week since the snow hit. Someone's already warned me that avoiding the states that use mag chloride during the winter is best, as it's not good for your A/S either.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:48 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Things are really going to improve now....
U.S. Bridges, Roads Being Built by Chinese Firms | Video - ABC News