Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Midlothian , Texas
Are any AS friends in national parks?

Hi all - just thinking about you - are you already set up in national parks for the holidays? or on the way to one? What is happening there? If the government shuts down in 3 hours are you locked in? locked out? Will you have water and power?

Just checking on you - hoping you are ok! We are on the emergency overnight stay if anyone is going/coming through Midlothian Texas

Just wishing ya'll well and we are thinking about you.
TexasMarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
On another forum an RVer said they would hear at 4pm tomorrow if they would have to leave the park. A volunteer in a different NP reported they were putting up signs to close it.

Not a good time to have to pack up and leave. Be careful out there. There will be lots of people on the road. Give yourself and them a brake. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
It would make too much sense to let you stay even if the staff had to leave for a few days. I know, what about the others that have reservations coming up? Honor system never trusted with the government involved. I feel for you all too.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:14 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Midlothian , Texas
upsetting for the holidays

I just hate that people have spent time/money to plan a Christmas vacation at one of the parks - or maybe they are just staying there to be close to friends and family and now this happens. One of the websites mentioned that many parks would stay open but there would not be security or ""services"" - whatever that means..........wonder if they even keep the electricity on.........hoping they can find a safe place to stay and enjoy their holiday time off.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

We were at the Grand Canyon north when the last shutdown happened. They gave people 4 days to leave the campground. It really cleared out and it was beautifully quiet there. We felt bad though for the rangers and workers ( who don’t make much money to begin with and can be living on the edge financially ) and people who had flown out to be at the park specifically for a once in a lifetime family vacation ( we talked to several ).
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Both SuEllyn and I are retired from the Federal Government. Every time these shutdowns occur, they end up costing the tax payers several time what it would have cost to continue business as usual. It is sad that these people we elect and send to Washington can't seem to remember why they are there.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
My DW is a federal employee. She had scheduled vacation for next week, but she will be on furlough instead (by the government's direction). Crazy and wasteful!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 20' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
Here in Arizona our Governor said that the State will keep the Grand Canyon open.
AIRTRVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
We are on our way to Joshua Tree National Park but I beleive it's not a locked ( gated park).
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanster View Post
We are on our way to Joshua Tree National Park but I beleive it's not a locked ( gated park).
From their website:
During the federal government shutdown, Joshua Tree will remain open. Campgrounds and vault toilets will remain open. All other services will be closed. In an emergency, call 911.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
We are volunteer camp hosting for the Winter. We originally thought campers would get kicked out and the camping loops closed, but that doesn't appear to be the case for the moment. Latest word is that campers will be allowed to stay, but bathrooms, picnic areas, and all other facilities are closed and locked.

I feel for the rangers, who will be spending their holidays with some uncertainty about when they'll see their next paycheck. Most of them have been through this multiple times before, so they're all taking it in stride.

We are grateful that the campers, some of whom have no backup plan, are being allowed to stay for the time being.

Personally, our situation hasn't changed, except that we're not to perform our patrols or any "official" duties. Though we're not paid a salary, we're still considered employees for workers' comp, and are therefore furloughed like everyone else. But we're volunteers, so we'll still be keeping an eye out and if someone needs help, we'll help them personally.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181222_134139.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	330152
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMarci View Post
I just hate that people have spent time/money to plan a Christmas vacation at one of the parks - or maybe they are just staying there to be close to friends and family and now this happens. One of the websites mentioned that many parks would stay open but there would not be security or ""services"" - whatever that means..........wonder if they even keep the electricity on.........hoping they can find a safe place to stay and enjoy their holiday time off.
Electricity is on, at least here. Turning it off would require winterizing the facilities to prevent freeze damage, which would cost money they're not allowed to spend. I imagine it would take a long time before the power company would shut off the park's service for lack of payment.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
Electricity is on, at least here. Turning it off would require winterizing the facilities to prevent freeze damage, which would cost money they're not allowed to spend. I imagine it would take a long time before the power company would shut off the park's service for lack of payment.
Where are you?
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
"The National Park Service will keep its gates to the country's parks open until the government reopens but will close any facilities - including bathrooms, visitors centers and campgrounds - that require staff. National Park Service employees will be on furlough."

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...national-parks
Old 12-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The goal is to have the parks open. The question is what facilities will be available. Some campgrounds are NPS managed and operated by volunteer campground hosts. Those tend to close as while the volunteers are paid no salary, they are covered by workers comp which goes away without a budget. The campgrounds that are run by concessionaires tend to stay open as they have their own funding.

The law-enforcement rangers are still on the job but all the other ranger and maintenance types are furloughed.

Your results may vary...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #16
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Just saw rangers on BLM land in Quartzsite within the past half hour.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Midlothian , Texas
so sorry to hear

sorry to hear that some of the workers are not being paid over this holiday time - many of them have modest salaries anyway and this has got to be a blow to them and their families - I hope this is all resolved quickly and everyone can get back to work and back to camping in our beautiful national parks
Old 12-22-2018, 05:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
We had to change plans last night because I couldn't raise a COE campground by phone yesterday morning and I didn't want to drive 250 miles and find no campsite which I had reserved. So I drive 348 to an Arkansas state park that put us 2 hours closer to our Christmas destination.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:05 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Wikipedia: "The 16-day-long shutdown of October 2013 was the third-longest government shutdown in U.S. history, after the 18-day shutdown in 1978 and the 21-day 1995–96 shutdown."

They used to just close all the parks and monuments, but lately they keep things partially open. However, clarity is hard to find and it seems the Interior Dep't has not been helpful. Some states do pay to keep Parks open, but not sure which ones.

We were tent camping deep in the Canyonlands NP backcountry in the '90's (maybe the 1995 shutdown) when a ranger came to tell us the Park might be closing soon. I asked how would they know if someone stayed? He avoided answering and just said he had to notify us. We were leaving the next day anyway.

It looks like this one may last for quite a while as all are dug in, but someone will blink eventually. We are really close to Colorsdo NM and they can't close all of it because a major local road runs through it. I expect Zion and other Parks with state or federal highways going through have to allow access, but maybe not. You have to make reservations months ahead of time and then this happens. Sure sucks for many people. And then the employees who become pawns in this battle.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:05 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Midlothian , Texas
glad for this site

Glad for this site so that members can post what they hear/discover about park shutdowns - could help other members very much as they are on the way to their destination or just thinking about going........

Please let us all know what's going on out there - could save someone lots of money and aggravation.

thanks