Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Pittston , Arizona
Are Airstreams more likely to be struck by lightning

Just wondering if they are more susceptible? I have no idea if aluminum even attracts lightning, any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.
NEPAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPAStreamin View Post
Just wondering if they are more susceptible? I have no idea if aluminum even attracts lightning, any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.
Lightning looks for a path to ground. The tires clearly isolate you from ground. The only path I can see is through the jack. I don't see any issues.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Franklin County , Missouri
If you are comparing to other brands I don't think there is much of difference in your chance of getting hit. The Airstream might be a little safer to be in due to the aluminum gage around you. In any case I would not want to be in any trailer struck by lightning.
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Aluminum is actually a pretty poor conductor of electricity compared to steel or copper.

A couple of tips when in a storm......get along side a taller SOB and let him take the strike.

Also if driving in tornado country take along a couple of chickens with you; when a tornado approaches, tie the chickens to your TV and trailer and ride out the storm. Why chickens you ask? When watching any twister movie, have you ever seen a chicken swept away, flying around? No, just semi's, cows, pigs, combines, tractors and pick up trucks; no chickens; they know something that scientists don't know.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Hah!

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Aluminum is actually a pretty poor conductor of electricity compared to steel or copper. -- snip -- Tony
I assume you are being a bit tongue in cheek as my teachers had a slightly different take on conductivity.

Material IACS (International Annealed Copper Standard)
Ranking Metal % Conductivity*
1 Silver (Pure) 105%
2 Copper 100%
3 Gold (Pure) 70%
4 Aluminum 61%
5 Brass 28%
6 Zinc 27%
7 Nickelb 22%
8 Iron (Pure) 17%
9 Tin 15%
10 Phosphor Bronze 15%
11 Steel (Stainless too) 3-15%
12 Lead (Pure) 7%
13 Nickel Alum Bronze 7%
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:16 PM   #7
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Struck by lightning no.
But because if their shiny appearance they are often shot by space aliens who think they are the craft from a competing colony of aliens.
Then they shoot first and ask questions later.
It would surprise you to see how closely the damage from a small photon torpeo resembles that of a lightning strike.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ah, now it makes sense...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:24 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Pittston , Arizona
Thank you. I’ll have to get some chickens...and watch out for aliens.
NEPAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Three legged alien chckens. Put a boardor plastic leggo under your jack and stabs.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:08 AM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
I assume you are being a bit tongue in cheek as my teachers had a slightly different take on conductivity.
No mate, I was dead serious in my post.

Another serious suggestion would be to place a lightning post, (or a couple if trailer over 25'), on the roof with a grounding wire to a 5' steel pole that you drive at least 3' into the ground everywhere you stop to camp.

Tip to self: remove BEFORE setting off.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:14 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
Lightning looks for a path to ground. The tires clearly isolate you from ground. The only path I can see is through the jack. I don't see any issues.
Getting away from the recent goofy answers (amusing as they are)…

The tongue jack, stabilizer jacks, shore power cable, water in your water hose, rainwater running down the tires, safety chains left hanging down to the ground, all can and will conduct a lightning strike to ground…

And even though the tires are made of a synthetic rubber compound, they are NOT insulators. Radial steel belts inside a tire conduct electricity, and the synthetic rubber is not enough insulation to keep a high-voltage lightning strike from going to ground right through the sidewalls. Pure natural rubber insulates. Synthetic rubber conducts, though not as well as metal, due to other compounds other than rubber that make up the formula.

Being inside a metal trailer is like being inside a Faraday cage. The lightning strike would be conducted along the outside of the trailer, and as long as you're completely inside the trailer and not touching the inner skin, you would not be harmed.

But that does not mean your expensive electronics would fare as well, since they're grounded to the trailer. Surge protectors don't protect against lightning strikes unless those strikes happen to hit the electrical service wires that lead to your trailer. A strike that hits your trailer directly would not be attenuated by the surge protector.

Your best bet, if you expect lightning to strike in your area, is to disconnect shore power and put away the cord, disconnect your municipal water hookup from the trailer, put down your antennas, and shut off any appliances that you can, except of course for a (portable, battery-operated) AM/FM radio or NOAA weather radio to monitor the weather. And stay inside (always assuming that tornado activity is not expected, in which case get yourself to a sturdy real building instead)…

As for parking next to a taller SOB, that only works if you park REALLY close. Tall objects provide protection in a 45° cone from the highest point, and if your trailer is even partially outside that cone, it's still vulnerable to lightning strikes.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
If you wait around the campfire long enough, someone will give up the good stuff. Thanks Pro.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
If you are standing in a puddle of water in flip flops, hanging on to the aluminum awning rail that you are trying to put up before it's ripped off (should have put it up when the clouds started blowing in), you quickly become the fastest way to ground. Ask how I know this......
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
The wife and I are laughing so hard on the most excellent suggestions! There are times on the forum people are way to serious.

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
Along that same topic: Would a fiberglass trailer be any safer?
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
Struck by lightning no.
But because if their shiny appearance they are often shot by space aliens who think they are the craft from a competing colony of aliens.
Then they shoot first and ask questions later.
It would surprise you to see how closely the damage from a small photon torpeo resembles that of a lightning strike.
I had an encounter just like that last year on US 95 in Nevada. I got the dings on my rock guards to prove it.
They were real tiny little critter shooting at the trailer.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Yep lots of good info there Pro, as usual, except for the "You would not be injured " part.
A buddy of mine was sailing solo from French Polyneisa for Hawaii. When his boat was struck by lightening. Killing all of his electronics plus leaving him completely deaf for many days. He did recover most of his hearing in time, but.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Yep lots of good info there Pro, as usual, except for the "You would not be injured " part.
A buddy of mine was sailing solo from French Polyneisa for Hawaii. When his boat was struck by lightening. Killing all of his electronics plus leaving him completely deaf for many days. He did recover most of his hearing in time, but.
Never considered the issue of being injured by the thunderclap like that…

Learn something new every day!
Old 03-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #20
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
The good news was that your friend's hull was not dammaged in the event. Fiberglass degrades in the area where lightning passes. Surveys often find soft areas in a hull that has been hit by lightening.

The Google search turned up the comment that lightening has traveled a long distance through air before striking any object. Consequently, insulation needs to be significant value to help. Air is not very conductive and the lightening still makes that jump. Best practice appears to be a route to ground around anything that needs to be protected. Pat