Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Penn Wood's Policy

Being a board member and leasee at the Penn Wood Airstream Park near Clarion, PA I can tell you that our policy is as follows...

"Normally Penn Wood is an Airstream-only park. However, other brands are permitted, providing it is not during a Pennsylvania Unit or WBCCI rally, as follows:
a) they are the guest of a member of the association
b) they are traveling together with an Airstream owner
c) they are in a "restored" vintage RV, 25 years or older
d) they are a member of a non-Airstream group which has arranged for a rally."

The park and the people are great so if you want to stop by, but don't own an Airstream product, you can usually find somebody to "sponsor" yor stay. Another nice thing is that you don't have to be a WBCCI member to camp.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
My grandpa used to stay at a campground that switched to Airstream Only while he had his owned/leased/whatever-you-call-it site with his 35' Holiday Rambler. They let him keep it there, but he had to pay more than the Airstreamers. He since sold the Rambler and got a '73 25' Airstream.
Curious...which park was your grandpa in that made the switch to Airstream only??

As a Shore Haven shareholder I can say that you could most likely find someone at the park to sponsor your overnight with an SOB. They would most likely relegate you to the Rally field vs offering you a site - Rally field features three point hook-up (no sewer).
Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
2airishuman! Where have you been?
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake View Post
2airishuman! Where have you been?
. . .absent from this thread for 3 years after having last posted here.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Note from the originater

Hey all you late comers,

I started this thread three+ years ago. You need to read the entire thing before you start berating me. Somewhere around 17 I say something to the effect of maybe I was wrong about the parks...I see that it's like a club. OK, well and good. That's cool.

That being said, I have been snubbed by Airstream guys on many occasions. And I even owned one at the time! But the best one to date was while pulling my current rig, a 1987 34' Avion 34X (I'll put it's build quality against any other trailer) when a guy in an Airstream started to wave at me, then pulled his hand back really quickly when he realized it wasn't an Airstream. That was funny!

But anyway, I have no malice toward these parks. More power to them. I was just curious if they were truly brand specific, or more type specific.

I think the place my grandfather was staying that switched over might have been that Christmas RV park. It's some place not too terribly far from Orlando. I think it's between Orlando and Cape Canaveral, but I've never been there. I thought he called it Christmas FL or something like that. But at any rate, he had a 35' Holiday Rambler there for years. Park switched over, and they let him keep it there for awhile but he had to pay a higher rate. I think it might have changed owners again and I believe they told him he had to get an Airstream if he wanted to stay there. So he got a '67 26 foot Airstream and fixed it up enough to roll and took it down there for one year. I guess he sold the Rambler in FL. But, that Airstream didn't have enough room for he and my grandma so they came back north in January. He then sold the 26 footer to a guy down the road here who fixed it up really nicely. Guy made new frame sections and everything for it. But anyway, I'm not sure the name of the place but I think it might have been the Christmas park.

I guess after all is said and done, the Tin Can Tourists are more for me personally than the WBCCI. I like ALL the silver trailers. I liked my 31' Airstream, I really like my 34' Avion, I want to buy my grandfather's '58 Airstream Traveler (I think that's the official/unofficial name of it...it's a 17 or 18 footer), and the stuff I've read on the Silver Streaks and Streamlines make them look really good to me. I like them all. So I'd like to go to a rally where I could see all of them.

Although like the one other poster said, I really go camping for the location and not so much the company. I'm usually the only silver camper there. And even if it's not an Airstream, I shine her up nice and deploy the five blue awnings and I usually get some compliments from guys with rigs that cost a whole lot more than mine. Nice thing about these silver tubes....you take care of them and it's hard to tell if it's two years old or forty.

Anyway, I'll still wave happily at you guys in the blue hats, even if you don't wave back Just try to be nice.

See ya on the road,
Old 03-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
My MIL moved to an Airstream Only Park 20-25 years ago in Dade City. The members were smart enough to realize that if they were to survive, they opened it up to others. They are doing very well today.
Akronguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:10 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Jim Golden,
While I'm new to the AS world and w/o an AS TT (soon I hope) my thoughts on AS only campground is that of some surprise, especially in this PC world. I don't necessarily disagree with it but I wonder if it could lead to problems for the owner as to discrimination. I've RV'd all over the country and have never seen a campground that required a certain type of RV (maybe I need glasses), I have seen some that were price restrictive (keep out the riff-raff???) and some that were length restrictive (all about the size, no matter what she tells you!!) and some membership only places but overall everyone is very welcoming. RV snobbery is the same as car/motorcycle envy and while I own some nice cars/bikes, its more because of personal taste and satisfactory experience. I do own an H-D motorcycle but I bought one after they were offered in fuel injection. My Honda Gold Wing and Suzuki Cavalcade were better bikes in many ways but mine had carbs and I had to mess with them in the Spring to get them to run well(even w/Stabil) and got tired of it. My first H-D was an AMF (Italian nightmare, LOL), and my cars are pre-computer so I can change the oil w/o having to go to the dealer and have the computer reset. Back to AS ownership, what drew me to ASs is their history and I think they are a part of America (just like apple pie) and from what I can see their styling is timeless. Your 70's trailer can look as new as a 2015 model, there is so much potential in an AS that is is not found in an SOB which are basically throwaways. I look forward to some great experiences in my AS (people and places) and hope she will be one of the last TTs I'll ever need/want. Good luck and safe travels...
Regards,
James and Rebecca
Easyrider06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Some AS only parks are operated and owned by clubs in the WBCCI. Hence, AS only. Private clubs. I was never in an organization more discriminatory that the Hog Club.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akronguy View Post
My MIL moved to an Airstream Only Park 20-25 years ago in Dade City. The members were smart enough to realize that if they were to survive, they opened it up to others. They are doing very well today.
Travelers Rest RV Resort and Golf Course, Dade City Florida

When we were close by in Zephyrhills we took a trip over there at the invitation of someone we met at Wal-Mart. It's an interesting RV park with lots of AS trailers and AS motor homes, all in excellent shape. They do allow SOBs now. It was really interesting to see so many AS motor homes in one spot.

You can rent for a while or you can purchase a lot and put your trailer there. The biggest attraction is the golf course. We aren't into golf and the rent was a little pricey for us, but it's very pleasant. There's no tree cover so you're in the full sun all the time.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote