Old 09-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Oh yeah I forgot, if you are there, as others suggested, Canyonlands NP and Dead Horse Point SP are worth a visit as well. Plan on at least one day in Island in the Sky District and another day in the Needles District. If you are in good hiking shape, don't miss the hike down to the Great Gallery in the Horseshoe District. You could easily spend a week in this area and not run out of things to see or do.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #16
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Foster View Post
Over crowded yes! Over-rated NO! It is definitely worth a visit. I have been there at least 4 times, twice in the 1980's (not crowded), about 2005 was OK, this year = YIKES! I could not believe how many people we had to fight on the trail to Landscape Arch. It was NOT enjoyable at all. But once we hiked on the lesser known trails it was great. We went all the way out to Dark Angel and found the petroglyph panels out there, only encountered one other group of 4 from Germany. I would recommend the off season, or be in the park before sunrise. Double Arch is a great place to watch sunrise.
Well ok, I'll ceed my exaggeration. This is my problem with Yellowstone and Yosemite. Both I feel are best enjoyed in the back country or in the off season. Most people don't go into the back country though. The valley in Yosemite is just amazing. The people however... I guess I'm one of those conservationist that doesn't want to put paved roads everywhere. That's just me.

We did a bunch of hikes in Arches last week. For me when I say over rated, people will just go visit that, and completely ignore the other parks right next door. It all paints a wonderful picture of the geologic history of the area.

Cheers. Some choice photos from last week. This week we are in Grand Junction for doctors visits for the kids before heading back to Moab.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Coming home from Utah in June several rental RVs were behind me. When I passed the turnoff for Arches they disappeared.

If you get up early to hit the more popular trails that should avoid some of the crowds.

Kelvin
Old 09-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
. This is my problem with Yellowstone and Yosemite. Both I feel are best enjoyed in the back country or in the off season.
I think most National Parks are like this. I've only got 10 or 12 years to be able to do this before I'm put into the old folks home. I better get going.

Kelvin