Old 08-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Apartment dwellers?

Moderators, please move this thread if it is in the wrong place, I just couldn't find a section that I thought it could easily go in.

So do we have any apartment dwellers here? We are looking at downsizing from house to apt but one of the questions that DW asked me this morning was where are we going to do trip prep when we don't have a house to pull up in front of any more?

As far as I can tell the only thing that will be at issue will be filling water tanks and winterizing, the former not so big a deal because we can wait until a campground to do that. The latter might be a bit bigger of a deal, although we have electricity at storage so I could blow the lines with our Air Station, which worked well last year, if i had remembered to take out the water filter under the sink which froze and cracked.

Another concern i have is storing the sewer stuff, don't want that tub in our apt or storage area even.

I know that I will probably have to lock all the WD hitch components in the trailer because there won't be a home garage at some point.

Anyone have any experience in apt dwelling and airstreaming? All thoughts appreciated.

Dana

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
So do we have any apartment dwellers here? We are looking at downsizing from house to apt but one of the questions that DW asked me this morning was where are we going to do trip prep when we don't have a house to pull up in front of any more?
Apartment-dwelling is good for an Airstreamer. Imagine how much extra camping time you'll have with no more yardwork or home repairs to do!

I was already an apartment dweller when I bought my Airstream Interstate. Which is one reason I even GOT an Interstate; my landlady said I could park it at home (I asked in advance), saving the need pay for storage. I've only got a few spaces in the parking lot I can put it without inconveniencing someone, but that's seldom a problem, because I can usually get one of those spaces.

For a trailer, it's probably best to do ALL your prep where you store your trailer, rather than pulling it to your apartment to finish prep before heading out. One less stop to make on the way out, too.

Quote:
As far as I can tell the only thing that will be at issue will be filling water tanks and winterizing, the former not so big a deal because we can wait until a campground to do that. The latter might be a bit bigger of a deal, although we have electricity at storage so I could blow the lines with our Air Station.
I winterize in a parking lot. It doesn't much matter where you do it, as long as you can power your air compressor and you have someplace to let clean water run off. Even better, when you drain the fresh tank, set up an inflatable kiddie pool or something to catch the runoff, and then use that water to give your Airstream a good pre-winterizing wash! Put that water to use before you throw it away.

Quote:
Another concern i have is storing the sewer stuff, don't want that tub in our apt or storage area even.
Not sure what you mean. What's in the tub that's so nasty? If it's a slinky, get a 5-gallon plastic bucket with a tight-fitting lid, and every time you dump your tanks, rinse the slinky at the dump station, then put it straight into the bucket and add enough soapy water (water and Pine Sol) to cover it, leaving a little bit of air space for it to slosh around and make suds. Then seal the lid, and let the agitation from driving home scrub it clean for you. Then at the storage area, dry out the (now clean) slinky and the bucket, and you're good. No need to rinse again— it's okay if it smells like Pine Sol— and no more nastiness.

If it's an enzyme solution, store the enzyme solution in its original container, inside another sealed container (bucket or maybe coffee can if you use the small bottles), and leave it in a closet out of the way. Double-sealed that way, no odor will leak out, and no spillage will occur.

Quote:
I know that I will probably have to lock all the WD hitch components in the trailer.
Good a place as any. You won't need it unless you're pulling the trailer, so why NOT store it with the trailer? Just put down an old thick rug to set it on to keep from scratching up the floor, and put it RIGHT inside the door. If a thief breaks into your trailer in storage, might as well let him break an ankle on the WD hitch just inside the door, right?

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I keep the hitch components inside the trailer at my storage facility for the same reason that I keep a spare set of trailer keys in the truck... it would be very frustrating to get there when I intend to hitch up and bring the trailer home for trip prep and finding I didn't have the hitch!

I know from experience that it's frustrating enough to push me away from rational thought... when I initially went to fetch the trailer before my last trip, I'd forgotten to put the receiver pin back in the truck (I'd taken it out to clean and lube the locking mechanism.) I fumed and spat for a minute and was about to do the round trip back to the house for the pin when my partner called (on his way back to Fort Worth from a shift at Parkland) to ask about meeting for dinner and in telling him what a fool I was for leaving the pin, I realized I could get the refrigerator started and do several other productive things while I was there and just come back in the morning for the trailer.

I keep the hitch parts on a plastic tarp inside the door, and when camping I use the same tarp to wrap around the hitch parts on the ground under the tongue.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Seattle , Washington
I do the same as DKB. I can illegally park in front of my house and usually do so overnight before and after a trip, but I don't have room to do even small projects on it. So I either do them at storage (a gorgeous 45 minute drive each way, and oops, forgot the tube of vulkem at the house, arrg), or pay $$$ to get the dealer to do stuff.

When we sell our big house in 10-15 years, i'll be looking hard at buying a small parcel of property with utilities and an enclosed steel shop to park the airstream in. then we can live comfortably in a condo, but still have a handy place to store and tinker on the trailer.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Airports are a great place to store a Airstream

Is there any small to med. size airports near you? You may be able to rent some space in a hanger. I store my AS in my hanger. Half the other hangers there have RVs and boats in them. Storing your trailer inside is a must for me. Because all AS leak.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	193715

Ace in PA
Old 08-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks much, especially my two piney woods camping friends.

We have a great storage place, although we may have to move a few miles further away to find the apt we want, so lots of stuff can be done there.

Great ideas about the hitch pieces.

I suppose I can store my flex hose as suggested and leave it at the storage place with AS, just worried about it walking away and don't really want to put it inside the trailer, no matter how well sloshed.

May have to see whether I can cut the ears off the slinky as has been suggested so i can store it in the tube where it is supposed to go., or maybe get enough stuff out of the back bumper compartment to put it in there.

and Protagonist, you are absolutely correct, looking forward to yard-less apt living so that every spare weekend can be a camping weekend instead of a yard work weekend.

Can't wait til I get a few more weeks in at the new job so we can take a fall vacation to visit son in Bowling Green, KY, should be some really nice camping up that way in the fall.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Our house in Frisco is unable to accomodate our 25fb either on the front street or the rear garage/alley drive way so we have to do all the loading/unloading, basic maintenance at our covered storage facility 16 miles away. There is electricity provided for each storage stall which really helps but the stalls are gravel which makes it tough getting underneath the AS to do any work. Being also an RV park we are able to back into any unused site to dump if needed.

We are close to retirement and thought about downsizing now and moving into an apartment but looking at the apt prices in our area compared to my mortgage on my $180k, 3BR/Study/2BA/2 Car Garage house its cheaper for me to pay the mortgage and the property taxes then move to a 1BR or 2BR apartment. I could always get a gardener to mow my lawn if I felt I couldn't do it any more. I did have a major expense last summer with the AC and my rear yard fence needs replacing soon. These two items would pay for a year of apt living.

The last apartment I lived in was on the 1st floor so we could have a 2 car garage to store items and we could hear the neighbors and their kid all the time and there were too many irresponsible young adults coming in late drunk and boistorous waking us up at the early morning hours.

If I were to do apts again I'd look for a 2 story apt complex and take an upper unit with stairs leading to a single garage. We had a 3BR unit with an arrangement like that years ago and it worked out well vs the apt we had on the 1st floor.

Kelvin
Old 08-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I suppose you have to compare the advantages of apartment living with the disadvantages which include the trailer. Everyone looks at it differently. You also have to find a storage facility that is really safe and has electricity available. Water and a sewer would be even better, but probably hard to find. This is a problem for homeowners who can't store their trailers at home too.

It can be done. Many RV owners have to store their trailers away from home and that can be a complication, especially if the storage lot is far from home.

Lots to consider, but you've already gotten some good suggestions.

Gene