Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The water we get in one gallon jugs is distilled, so there should be nothing in it but hydrogen and oxygen.
Did you know Gene, that as soon as you open it, it starts to absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and forms carbonic acid?

That sounds scary to me.

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #42
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
But in my case I think it was more of a drug than a pleasure.
Regards,
Ken
Drug & Pleasure?...one of the few left to us here on the right coast.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Shane
We always pull away from home with a full tank of fresh water.(50 gallons) I know Our water is fresh I pump it out of the ground myself. We sanitized in the spring and I add sanitizer to each tank. We also have a two gallon fresh water bottle in the fridge and we carry 7 to10 1 gallon water jugs for us and the dogs to drink(its warm).Even though the signs say POTABLE WATER we prefer our own from our own well. NO ADDED CHEMICALS.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #44
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Did you know Gene, that as soon as you open it, it starts to absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and forms carbonic acid?

That sounds scary to me.

Regards,
Ken
That's why you should never swim in a pool, a river, lake or ocean, or drink any water except from a hose. Beware the air!

Now, carbolic acid, that's another story.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
That's why you should never swim in a pool, a river, lake or ocean, or drink any water except from a hose. Beware the air!

Now, carbolic acid, that's another story.

Gene
Personally, I'm concerned about the air reacting with the water in my body. This is why I always wear a burka.

This is me getting ready to empty the holding tanks. Notice I just had my nails done to prevent them from absorbing CO2

Regards,
Ken
Old 02-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post

You really don't know where bottled water is really from and it is less regulated than muni tap water. You know the source of water for your fresh water tank and how old it is -- you put it in there. Keep your fresh tank full and clean.

Jim
Jim speaks truth!
Lots of bottled water IS plain old tap water.
NO one regulates it for safety or purity.

Madison Avenue has made the most abundant substance on EARTH something you are now willing to go out and buy at a premium price.

BTW, one DISADVANTAGE to using a filter pitcher is that it removes any chlorine (and fluoride - if you've got kids with cavities now you know how they're getting them!). I proved this to myself by filtering some tap water and ignoring the pitcher on the counter for a week. EEWH, pitcher grew green stuff. Filter your water to get out the taste of chlorine if you wish, just use it immediately.

Paula
Old 02-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Locations for parts and owners manuals

Someone asked me, where are the other online manuals besides the 2010 -- I found them here. Hope this helps someone.

Jim

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
BTW, one DISADVANTAGE to using a filter pitcher is that it removes any chlorine (and fluoride - if you've got kids with cavities now you know how they're getting them!). I proved this to myself by filtering some tap water and ignoring the pitcher on the counter for a week. EEWH, pitcher grew green stuff. Filter your water to get out the taste of chlorine if you wish, just use it immediately.

Paula
Oh yeah, Paula, you are so right! I forgot all about mentioning that part. Our filter pitcher is a counter-top science project to demonstrate how the RV's fresh water tank would look in only three or four weeks if water there not refreshed with treated water.

The green film starts showing in our filter pitcher in a few weeks. Now imagine we kept the water in our fresh water tank for more than a few weeks, and then some more?

This is why we add chlorine to untreated water going into our tank and why we dump the entire tank contents every 3-4 weeks and replace with new load of treated water. The chlorination treatment isn't very strong, 2ppm of chlorine, and it dissipates with heat and time.

We're not freaky about what's swimming around in our fresh water tank. Heck, my house's reservoir was untreated water, algaed sides, had tadpoles in it too. It was mountain spring water, our property line was top of the hill, and we thought the water tasted pretty darned good.

But filter the incoming water for sediment, and filter the drinking water for contaminant. That's just a reasonable program.
Jim

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
Old 02-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #49
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Chlorine dissipates in a few hours when exposed to air. It's fine in pipes, but the fresh water tank has air in it unless filled. It's dark too and lots of bacteria likes wet, dark places.

And when backpacking in western deserts, when you look for potable water in the water holes, if there are insects swimming around in it, you know it's probably safe. If there is nothing living in it, beware. Water holes also attract animals that predators like to eat, so camp a distance away.

Gene
Old 02-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #50
Rivet Master

On the subject bleach.

Every year we run 300 plus feet of hose from the stage to the
hospitality tent. The boss pours a quart of bleach into the hose
and runs water through it until it doesn't smell.

The point is........remember not to forget about cleaning your hose.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post

The green film starts showing in our filter pitcher in a few weeks. Now imagine we kept the water in our fresh water tank for more than a few weeks, and then some more?
Jim
Hi Jim,
I would bet that the green stuff is the type of algae that needs light to grow. It would not do well in the fairly dark fresh water tank. People used to and probably still do drink water that has been in dark cisterns for months.
Not that I am advising leaving water in the tank that long.

Regards,
Ken
Old 02-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Ken,
Absolutely correct about the pitcher in sunlight -- it'd be interesting to wrap it for a month, shielded from direct light and recheck it then. Nah, I already think you nailed it.

Cisterns, reservoirs, hand-dug wells are usually all mossy and slimy. And it was never a problem for my family.

Mandolindave,
Interesting idea about treating the potable water hoses. We try to drain and dry ours between uses and often don't get it done. I think we'll start incorporating treatment for them more often. Thanks for adding this.

Someone mentioned iodine water tx a few posts back. We still do this with PolarPure when backpacking. Temperature-compensated dosing for strength and time, and sometimes at the end of the cycle we'll drop a couple of vitamin C tablets in a liter of the iodine treated water. Voila! Like magic the yellowed water clarifies and the taste clears as well. But the water bladders or nalgenes are stained for a long long time already.

This has been an interesting thread -- thanks to the original poster for starting it.

Jim

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
Old 02-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
More wet ideas

PHP Code:
BTWone DISADVANTAGE to using a filter pitcher is that it removes any chlorine 
Most municipalities have switched to chloramine instead of chlorine: we humans cannot taste or smell it, and the usual filters will not remove it. It kill aquarium fish, though.
I keep my tank 3/4 to full with my house water, part of my earthquake preparedness. (Sure hope the Land Yacht floats in the next major quake when Colorado becomes beachfront & we are suddenly in the middle of the Pacific.) The filter removes off tastes and maybe any heavy metals that sneak in: a filter on the input hose, and another carbon filter on the kitchen tap that helps the coffee/tea etc taste better.

BTW, water is also good for making ice to cool down the adult beverages so isn't entirely useless.
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #54
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
My tanks are pretty good sized.

As Follows:
39 gal. Fresh water
39 Gal. Black
37 gal. Grey
Shane
Well from our trip I learned a lot already. Grey tanks Fill FAST!! 37 ngallons ain't squat. My wife decided to wash the dishes before we ate on them <new plates> and the grey tank was full after the showers we had. Very Quck ones at that. So in the morning drove to the dump station and hooked up with water. Even after being aware of how quick the tank got full and NO showers it still filled up quickly. Never new how much water we use, makes you think.

Also had our Fantastc fans open and a rain storm blew in and our Fans didn't close. I had to get up at 3 a.m and close them both.

Otherwise pretty painless.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Shane -

I'm envious! We have a 30 gallon fresh water tank, a 12 gallon black tank and a 10 gallon gray tank. Two showers and maybe the breakfast dishes before we have to dump. My husband & son will sometimes use the campground showers instead. They're both around 6 feet tall, so I can understand that the curved wall of the Argosy shower can make it a challenge. I like the fact that I can use all of the conveniences of the trailer, though! That's why we bought it, after all.

We've only managed to fill up the black tank once - while dry camping with friends who have a tent camper with no bathroom. Four adults and 3 teenagers can fill that black tank in 3 days. Bet you didn't want to know that, did you?

Sharon & Sean
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Shane,
Been there too -- it's always my fault, but the FF didn't close for the freaking huge downpour on the coast a couple of years ago. The fan lid had been hunting up and down, up and down, because of heavy due. Probably we (spelled "I") had put the fan lid on manual sometime after midnight, after it woke me up a second time.

Next morning we're off to the beach and hardware store and sightseeing. Big rain storm flies in, washes everything really well. Including our bedding.

Somehow the sofa stayed dry. Not so good sleeping, compared to a dry mattress, and maybe the damp mattress would have slept better too. But we had to learn our lesson, "do NOT leave the fan lid on manual again".

Fixed this issue -- put a maxxair fanmate 9000 on the bedroom FF. Won't happen again -- fan lid never hunts, no matter how much rain. And the rain stays outside no matter how hard it pours.

Couple of Airstreaming friends put two inline water pressure reducers on white hose when two teenagers travel with them -- keeps the rinse water and black water tanks working longer. Pretty sneaky, eh?

Jim

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
Old 02-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #57
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The Fantastic Fan rain sensors have to be cleaned periodically or they don't work.

Never thought about the hoses for fresh water, but when I flush the tank in the spring, lots of water goes through the hoses and flushes them too. The chlorine our water company uses probably sanitizes them. Our company uses chlorine, not chloramine.

Our water comes via a dole which gives us 10,300 gallons per month per dole tap (we have 3 taps—this is different than other systems) and empties into 2 1,500 gallon cisterns. Who knows what's in there? I haven't seen any algae in it. Hasn't made us sick, but I did fish out a dead mouse floating in one several years ago. Still haven't told my wife. Water drains out the tanks by gravity and comes to the house and then a pump in the house provides pressure. Rural water systems are a learning experience. I have a whole house filter at the end of the line to clean out the silt and chlorine.

Gene
Old 02-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #58
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down

Not alone Gene...

OH 'dem nasty meece's... still haven't told Sandy about the Toastmaster.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 AM   #59
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
I always leave home with a full tank. You never know where your journey will lead you and water is the basis for survival. In my case she tows better since the water tank is over the axles.

Yup. Never know what you will need it for. The whole point of a trailer is that one has big capacities for food, water, clothing, etc that car travel can't match. Any reasonable exploration of being stranded (usually, but not always weather) indicates that one wants a minimum of 48-hours supplies. Being able to use a bathroom, take a hot shower, just makes it better. I challenge anyone to prove a mpg loss for carrying fresh water. And, the full tank offsets other weights, higher up (A/C for example).

Self-sufficiency is time-consuming, and trailers are energy hogs. So what? Beats all the alternatives. I don't always need an excuse to avoid evening television with my wife, but I've noticed she's been plenty happy to leave all "plumbing problems" to me. Being perfectionistic about tankage seems small enough, especially on a nice evening. (Take note, Gene, this way I don't have to do it in the morning, and leave earlier . . . .)
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #60
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Well from our trip I learned a lot already. Grey tanks Fill FAST!! 37 ngallons ain't squat. My wife decided to wash the dishes before we ate on them <new plates> and the grey tank was full after the showers we had.

Shane
Shane,
Use a wash basin and dump your wash water down the toilet. Saves grey water and keeps things hydrated in the black tank. They flush easier that way.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote