Old 02-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
POI.....Make sure there is air space around the fresh fill hose... and don't fill too fast or you may splode the tank....for real.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

220...221....What ever it takes

Somestimes I travel dry, sometimes with a full tank, it all depends on the availabilty of water and length of trip.
But I try like crazy to not travel with half a tank. My fresh water tank is mounted sideways, and I can feel the water sloshing back and forth.

Towards the end of the season when the tank has been filled and emptied 20 times, I have used the water for cooking. But I usually drink bottled water.

If you are unsure of the quality of water you are drinking, or unsure
of the condition of your plumbing, play it safe.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
My vote is fill it.

Not that my fresh water tank is all that large but I always like to fill it up before I leave home. The reasons are: sometimes we have stopped and used the toilet in route: We don't have to look for water when we get to our destination: I don't like the idea driving around with 1/2 or 1/3 full tank and having that water shlloshing around. (Shloshing? I can't remember if I have ever seen that spelled before). onomatopoeia

Randy Bowman
Old 02-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #18
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
A proper bleaching once or twice a year along with properly chlorinated water is sufficient to keep the nasties out. There is absolutely no reason your fresh water system isn't providing excellent drinking water. Absolutely none whatsoever.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
A proper bleaching once or twice a year along with properly chlorinated water is sufficient to keep the nasties out. .
What is proper bleaching? I know it is a ratio between water & bleach, but don't know the exact amount.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
What is proper bleaching? I know it is a ratio between water & bleach, but don't know the exact amount.
I forget the recommended ratios as I figured out my plan a while back and rely on my procedure by rote now. Frankly, just filling with city water and letting it stand several hours and flushing a few times will work wonders.

My procedure: for a 30 gallon tank add 1/4 cup of bleach to a full tank and allow to set several hours. Then pump water through all lines. Again let it set for an extended period. Flush entire system. Then flush 2X with normal treated water. Avoid the temptation to boost the amount of bleach as there is good evidence that diluted bleach solutions are more effective than high concentration bleach for the application. DILUTED bleach and TIME coupled with multiple flushes are the key here. Hope this is helpful

and the
My Blog

Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #21
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
My tanks are pretty good sized.

As Follows:
39 gal. Fresh water
39 Gal. Black
37 gal. Grey
Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
I forget the recommended ratios as I figured out my plan a while back and rely on my procedure by rote now. Frankly, just filling with city water and letting it stand several hours and flushing a few times will work wonders.

My procedure: for a 30 gallon tank add 1/4 cup of bleach to a full tank and allow to set several hours. Then pump water through all lines. Again let it set for an extended period. Flush entire system. Then flush 2X with normal treated water. Avoid the temptation to boost the amount of bleach as there is good evidence that diluted bleach solutions are more effective than high concentration bleach for the application. DILUTED bleach and TIME coupled with multiple flushes are the key here. Hope this is helpful
Thank you, and yes it is helpful. Do you keep a small amount of bleach in your tanks? When I read something recently about emergency kits they suggested (and here I can't remember) a few drops of bleach in your bottle water. When we start out on a trip I really like to have our water as it is few good, and I always just drink it out of the faucet at home.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #23
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Thank you, and yes it is helpful. Do you keep a small amount of bleach in your tanks? When I read something recently about emergency kits they suggested (and here I can't remember) a few drops of bleach in your bottle water. When we start out on a trip I really like to have our water as it is few good, and I always just drink it out of the faucet at home.
I run straight 'city' water. There is no reason to add bleach to treated water. If you can smell anything over the slightest amount of bleach you have way to much in the water. In fact, if the water is properly treated you should not be able to detect the bleach at all. The amount I described is to 'shock' the system.

I want to say something like 8 drops per gallon is sufficient to make untreated (clear) water safe to drink ( thats from memory so check that). BUT that is untreated water not already treated water. Big difference there. If you use bleach to treat water it MUST set for a half hour minimum before use.

and the
My Blog

Old 02-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #24
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
I've listed a couple of good links for treating your potable water in the holding tank here.

And the Micropulse Systems tank monitoring in the International CCDs (this is the model they're providing at least 2005 through 2010) is easy for the owner to calibrate. Full easy-to-follow calibration directions are on-line from Camco (and unfortunately are not printed in the Airstream owners manual).

We spent a little over an hour doing all three tanks, each in turn, sixteen months ago and they are still right on the money. We use a Camco fill adapter on the end of our water hose when filling the tank. It allows an air gap in the fill pipe plus the holding tank has a small screened vent by the fill pipe.

You can tell right away when the 39 gallon fresh water tank on the CCD 25 SS is full -- water gushes out from the fill pipe and out of the screened vent. It takes about 4 to 5 minutes from empty to full, depending upon water pressure.

Funny, we have also learned by sound to tell when the black tank is getting "orange" or above 1/2 tank to at least 5/8 full -- it makes a different flushing noise when you open the flush valve. I guess (and I hope) the difference is the shorter distance the bowl contents are falling.

We don't carry the owner's manual hard copy -- too heavy, allows us to carry one more gallon of water by leaving printed manual at home. But we picked up an electronic copy and keep it with us on the laptops. You can find copies for free from Airstream -- parts manual -- owners manual.

You really don't know where bottled water is really from and it is less regulated than muni tap water. You know the source of water for your fresh water tank and how old it is -- you put it in there. Keep your fresh tank full and clean.

Jim

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
I run straight 'city' water. There is no reason to add bleach to treated water. If you can smell anything over the slightest amount of bleach you have way to much in the water. In fact, if the water is properly treated you should not be able to detect the bleach at all. The amount I described is to 'shock' the system.

I want to say something like 8 drops per gallon is sufficient to make untreated (clear) water safe to drink ( thats from memory so check that). BUT that is untreated water not already treated water. Big difference there. If you use bleach to treat water it MUST set for a half hour minimum before use.
Again, thank you. Do you also carry bottled water? We have not traveled far from home so far and have not encountered unsafe/undrinkable water. I am concerned about our traveling to places where we have no idea what the water may be like. My only problem is that in some areas the water tastes so bad we need to make a run to the nearest store for some bottled water.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:46 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We bring our own drinking water (3 gallon jug and some bottled water) and we use that for making coffee too. We use park water for everything else. We do sanitize the system every year so park water is probably safe to drink, but we still bring drinking water from home. Nothing is worse when Streaming than the effects of bad water!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #27
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Again, thank you. Do you also carry bottled water?
Rarely

and the
My Blog

Old 02-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
grand rivers , Kentucky
We take only enough water for the drive to the next camp site--drinking water, wash water and flush water. If we know we will be dry camping we fill the tank. We are gone for months at a time so bringing water from home is not an answer. We always fill up as we get to a campground and never had any problems with tainted water. However, I am not going to look in the tank or ask qustions!

I have only had one incident of bad water and that was in a Colorado State Park in the 80's. THey had had a flood that backed sewage into the water treatment plant but didn't post any warnings or anything. I was the only one who drank water, everyone else had had canned drinks or milk. It was one bad night. We were camped in a pop up camper amid several hundred bikers on the way to Sturgis For such ferocius looking guys they were very nice about me running to the facilities all night.