Old 04-12-2016, 02:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
To echo the recent comments about trailer parking in general -- it depends on the location and parking lot. Towing the old 25' AS, we stayed in plenty of motels near a major highway without even lining this up ahead of time. There is usually room someplace in their parking lot. We of course coordinated parking with the front desk when we registered.

It may help to have a "frequent flyer card" for the motel chain in question, as they can see that you are a good customer when you register.

NOW -- turning to the two adults and one child sleeping in the trailer -- totally up to the manager with the best guess [ IMO ] being "no" unless you offer to pay for two extra adult beds for the motel room. Insurance and liability issues suggest that the facility may not covered for allowing people to sleep in their cars/trailers. Indeed, local zoning etc. laws may forbid it . . .

That is why it is called a "parking lot" and not a "campground?"

Old 04-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #16
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
The OP stated that they will be booking a room and parking the trailer.

When we picked up our 26' Overlander we stayed at Best Westerns while bringing it home from AZ and there were no issues. It sure drew a crowd though. We asked where we could park. Its no different than hauling any other trailer behind a rig, they often have parking for that. Just have to pick the right motel with enough parking to accommodate.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:16 AM   #17
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
I did it last summer at a Best Western. I rented a room, though, which made it okay wit the motel. Biggest issue was that the parking lot was small. I took up the equivalent of three spaces, but parked as far off in a corner as possible that allowed for an easy, ensured exit.

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Spokane , Washington
Parking in Motel Parking Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockfly View Post
Tow suv has 4 adults and 1child on road trip. I'm thinking of booking a room in a motel for 2 adults and just park the bambi within the motel's parking lot for one night. Is it usually accepted?
In March of this year we parked a 19' Bambi in a Motel parking lot and checked into a room because we arrived in town late and there was no place available with hookups. Worked out fine.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
We had a rather unique experience when traveling to Newfoundland. The ship was bound for Port Aux Basques and one of the couples we met on the ferry owned the hotel/ motel at the port.
As it was going to be about 1am when we arrived and the nearest RV park was out of town, they asked us if we wanted to camp out in their parking lot near the office so we could access the Wi Fi. He even dragged out an extension cord for us.
Now that was hospitality.

George
Folks in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland are wonderful! We stayed at the KOA in N Sydney, about 15 minutes from the ferry terminal. It is a wonderful, picturesque, and convenient site with very hospitable owners/managers. We stayed there after the return 6 hour ferry ride, too.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Best to ask at registration IMO. If they don't like the set-up, they won't rent you the room. Me? I'd be happy to have the room rented.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
I've stayed once; no problem. Just remember to unplug the trailer from the tow vehicle (ask me how I know ).
Old 04-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #22
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
No problem, on a dark, below freezing night. The manager even let me crack the door and plug in the trailer so the heater could keep the trailer from freezing up. Just remember to ask/negotiate first.
guskmg
Old 04-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Might also want to check if the parking lot goes ALL the way around the hotel. Trust me on this.
Use Google Earth and street- level maps to verify. AND call the manager wether you book a room or not, they can tell you if there's room fir your rig.
If you're just parking for the nite, Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Costco, pilot, or FlyingJ are better bets.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
We had a rather unique experience when traveling to Newfoundland. The ship was bound for Port Aux Basques and one of the couples we met on the ferry owned the hotel/ motel at the port.
As it was going to be about 1am when we arrived and the nearest RV park was out of town, they asked us if we wanted to camp out in their parking lot near the office so we could access the Wi Fi. He even dragged out an extension cord for us.
Now that was hospitality.

George
Sure would be nice to know the name of that hotel and owner so as to promote their business...
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
Like everything with hotels, it will depend mostly on how full they are and how much do they need to sell another room. If they have a lot of vacant and fell they can sell another room they will go for it, if they are full they will say no. That is basically their main concern.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
The day I picked up my 17' Casita Travel Trailer was a loooooong day. I hadn't set it up for sleeping yet so, at about 10PM when I saw a motel with LOTS of space in the parking lot, I stopped and paid for an air conditioned room (late August in Memphis, TX). I forgot to unplug the TT from my tow vehicle. In the morning, the battery on my TV was dead. Once I got a jump start, I was fine.