Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Anyone out and about in Socal???

Looking for somewhere to go for a couple nights starting now. Anyone out and about in Socal?
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Go to Palomar Mountain! Or how 'bout San Onofre?!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Looking at San Elijo SP now. Ever been?
Old 12-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Also, there is a weather alert for Palomar. Snow, snow, snow...
Old 12-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I've surfed at Pipes...right below San Elijo campground...but never stayed at the campground. Would be a good location for exploring the area.

I'm in downtown SD. It was raining this morning, and clouds everywhere now possibly threatening more rain.

And you are so right about the snow at Palomar!! I forgot about that. We stayed there 3-4 weeks ago, and weather was great, but at 5000' altitude, it was cold as hell at night and in morning.

Yesterday I was up in Carlsbad and checked out the South Carlsbad State Beach campground...up on the bluffs above the ocean. Looked quite nice. No electric though, just water and sewar. $50/night for ocean view, $35/night for other side of the aisle.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
Looking at San Elijo SP now. Ever been?
We will be there about mid-January for camp host training and be there March and April as camphosts.

Stop by and see us if you are still in the area.

Pat and Pete
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
I'm presently sitting in my home on Palomar mountain with 40 knot winds outside - sleet coming down (well 45%) and 24 degrees - nice fire though. My Airstream was 27 degrees inside at the warmest part of the day!

Wait a day and go to a beach park!
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
So here I am. Doing exactly what I set out to do today, but... Why am I not really enjoying it?

Everything was going good. Camp volunteer told me on the phone that they had hook up sites on the beach available but they are first come, first serve. I said ok. Loss up the trailer dear, we are leaving in 30 minutes.

All went well. She hurried and got herself and the dogs ready while I prepped the trailer and hooked it I up to the jeep. Off we went...

An hour and a half later we are arriving at our destination. Only one problem, the address that I entered was wrong. We are in Carlsbad and need to be in Encinitas. I look up the correct address reroute the GPS and off we go... Again. Only 20 minutes to out actual destination. No big deal...

We hop off the 5 just as the directions tell us to do. And guess what? We are only 2 miles from the camp ground. Woot! But... It happens to be the exact time and day of the annual holiday parade. The rite is closed and we have to detour with soccer moms looking for parking spaces for the parade. Fun...

Ok. 30 minutes later we actually arrive at the campground. Yes! But... Of course there are no hook up sites. Girlfriend gives me the evil eye because she likes heat and water and lights. So I tell the man we will take it but do you have a water full station? He does and I fill up. Since I planned on using the electric space heater and I now have no AC power, we need propane. I have half a task and she likes it warm, do of to the store I go. I drop $50 on a bottle from the 7 11. Fun times. I also grab fire wood and a bite for us to eat.

When I get back, all will be perfect. I will eat, torn on the furnace, stay a fire and drink a beer, right? Mostly right. I got the fire started in the middle of 35 mph winds and now I sit alone on the beach with a fire and a beer... Exactly what I set out to do today... Lucky me!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
Look at the bright side, my wife and I were admiring your rig as we passed you in San Clemente yesterday. We were lamenting the fact that we had to cancel reservations at San Elijo, first time in 5 years we've missed the parade. It's a great spot with lots to do close by. Your weather should be better this morning, take a walk across the street and check out some of the tasty breakfast offerings. If Bull Taco at the camp store is open don't miss the breakfast burrito.
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Thanks for the tip. Gonna try the burrito now.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
San Diego , California
Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay. We've only camped a couple of times at Camp Pendleton (Del Mar Beach & San Onofre) with full hookups and ocean views.

We also took our rig out for the day at Mission Bay twice. It was fun to park by the water and ride bikes around the Hilton & Sea World.
ginsun88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Best breakfast burrito ever!
Old 12-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Final review:

The campground is beautiful and well kept. There are beautiful views overlooking the ocean and beach. The sites are large and somewhat private because they are separated by large trees and bushes. Also the food at the cafe is delicious! Staff was somewhat annoying. I dealt with 3 different people and each one seemed to have an attitude or could not answer simple questions about the campground.

Other than the volunteer staff, this place gets a 5 star rating! $50 for a beach view site, $65 for hook ups.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Ventura

Check out the Faria Beach area of Ventura. And the Rincon Parkway.
Right on the ocean. Quite during weekdays.
pknoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Are those areas (Faria Beach, etc) all non-hook-ups? I just assumed they are.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
Glad Bull Taco was open! Check out Crystal Cove sometime. It's the newest campground on the coast and one of a select few that's nowhere near a train! Just north of Laguna, and about an hour closer for you. Half the spots have water and power and the other half are dry camping. Great hiking and beach walking opportunities.
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
What specifically was the problem with the hosts? We were there last Jan/Feb and did the camphost bootcamp and the whole thing was about serving the campers. It is normally a VERY camper friendly place. You can pm me if you want.
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Well, I guess I can mention each volunteer one by one because they each had different things that seemed off.

The first guy didn't know anything about the campground or the town. Simple questions either were not answered or not answered sufficiently. These questions were questions like, where can I buy firewood, where can I fill propane or does the campground have a place that I can fill my water tank...

The second experience was with an older gentleman. He was kind but was in a hurry and was very short with me while asking the same kinds of questions. He did not provide me with adequate answers either. His answer to: Where can I find firewood or propane? was: There is a 7-11 close by, you should check there...

Finally, the next morning, we visited the kiosk to see about a late check out, in case no one was reserving the spot for that evening. I asked the volunteer and his sarcasm was over he top leaning towards rudeness. He said, while looking at the schedule, "Sure, you can check out later for $50, then you can stay as long as you would like until tomorrow morning." And then went back to his work.

Overall, I was disappointed in the quality of information about the campground and town as well as their professionalism. I understand taht hey are volunteers but they should still care about the service they are providing. Also, I am sure this is not a full cross section of all volunteers at the park, but this was my experience. I would still reccomend the park because of it's quality and beauty.