Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Gotta love new folks! Let's keep this thread sane and open please.

I'm a S&W Shield fan. Just the right size for cc. Like shooting revolver more though.

PSST resolute, we don't do "IBTL" comments on Airforums. Very few threads get locked or deleted. Airstreamers are more smarter than that.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow View Post
Same thing other threads having to do with accessories while traveling? Generators, solar panels, chairs, microwaves... Makes life easier, more comfortable.
Like the song said: "Leave your guns at home........" when coming to Canada.
We don't want them here, or the minority of the Jamaicans who swear by them.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Dorchester , Illinois
We had a S&W Gov for a while. Bought it for the wife. Shot the 410 and 45lc fine, the 45 acp rounds with the moon clip were unreliable. To big and heavy for cc and expensive to plink with so it went down the road.
Missed-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Like the song said: "Leave your guns at home........" when coming to Canada.
We don't want them here, or the minority of the Jamaicans who swear by them.
You know folks, we are getting off original topic. The latest posts are not helpful to the person who started this thread and those who hope to benefit. In addition, the tone of some comments will likely lead to infighting. So stop it, please!
martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:26 PM   #45
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I am clueless on all this, however it is a very valid thread to person who asked question and I am a girl. Very interesting as to reasons for and against certain styles.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Sbb, if you are interested in obtaining a firearm, go to a reputable dealer in your area, talk to them about your interests and have them show you a variety of options. Take safety lessons, shoot it and become very comfortable with it.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #47
Richard

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Midland , Texas
A S&W Governor is as good as any other firearm: effective in the hands of a trained owner and dangerous otherwise. It all comes down to personal choice, of which many are expressed here. And the civility of this thread makes me proud to be an AS owner. If the bad guys attack, I hope to be surrounded by Airstreams!
Kilo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:13 PM   #48
Rivet Master

As a senior lady, I travel solo....and as I have guns in my home for home protection...I will always take a couple of " little friends" on the road with me. They provide me with safety and peace of mind.

I keep a Ruger (with laser pointer) and 2 S&Ws, also (with laser pointers). Yes, I am trained.... Have been since I was a girl. I go to firing range, with good results.

I think this is an acceptable topic, as many of we ladies travel solo. A Big dog helps...but, a few "little friends" provide more comfort and safety...as long as you are appropriately trained. I would much rather have it and not need it....than need it and not have it! Hope to never need it...but, if I do........
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:05 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
I've used a Trooper 357 revolver loaded with the snake shot for years hunting and boy does it deliver. I never go into the woods without it. I can't count the rattlers I have one shot killed. What I do is chamber 3 rounds of snake shot and three rounds of hollow points. That way if a wild hog shows up I can rotate and have a chance.

When traveling I also have a Walther PPK 38.

Whatever you decide on please practice with it. Not just shoot it once or twice and put it in the airstream. Practice until you can really shot the thing. Then take it out and practice more. Shoot it with different ammo and at different distances. Get any questions out of your mind as to what the weapon can and will do. Then practice more.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
</SPAN>

When my friend goes on the road with her AS, she always brings along her Smith&Wesson.
She
's never had any problems.
That's Sm
ith on the left. Wesson's on the right. :-)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #51
Rivet Master

The OP had a question about firsthand experience on one specific gun.

He didn't want opinions about anything else. He hasn't responded to one of your posts, not even the few that answered his question.

If you don't like my post….Don't read it

If you don't agree with me….Don't respond

If I have insulted anyone…Smiley Face ( makes it all better )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #52

Currently Looking...
Alhambra , California
I have a 38 air light and a m&p 9 mm compact , a full size m&p and a s&w shield 9 mm I have only been carrying my shiled for the last year it is small enough to conceal very easy and shots just as nice as my full size I would really look at the shiled they make it in a 40 mm also
Richchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Airstream doesn't make or sell dogs or dog food or dog bowls or rabies vaccinations or Frisbees.... but dogs and travelling with dogs in an Airstream is a valid and wonderful discussion.
If you're not a dog-person, you'll likely not click on that subject and ignore the discussion thread. That's the way it should be.
But I was once intrigued by an already-existing conversation in these forums about crossing thru Canada on the way to Alaska in an AS and how to do so legally and arrive in AK with firearms... and so I joined that thread with a question about how to do so....and the thread was suddenly ended and some moderator wrote me privately ordering me to never again discuss guns here or I'd be banished (despite the fact I'm a contributing member here) and also ORDERING me to NEVER again dare question the moderator. (Not having ever been aware of such a rule, and being surprised by the censure, I had merely asked why the topic of firearms was prohibited.)

Since I am a moderator at a discussion forum myself (aircraft-related) I was somewhat familiar with "unruly" participants from time to time... but I must admit that I felt so insulted and unfairly attacked I almost decided to no longer participate here... ..but I decided that the moderator might just be having a bad day and let it go. Now here is such a subject again and I wonder.... what is so wrong about what appears to be a legitimate discussion regarding how to travel successfully from state to state in an AS... be it with dogs, or prescriptions, or pepper-spray, or a personal firearm... especially if one is licensed to do so, and might even be a retired, former law enforcement person... ??
It seems a perfectly legitimate subject... If YOU are not interested in doing so (travelling with a dog or generator or handgun... then go to some other discussion and let those interested peacefully discuss their topic of interest. Wally would approve. I think.
Anyway, I'm not really interested in this topic so I'm moving on to the one about curtains....
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hear! Hear!!

So true; this is a perfectly legitimate subject of interest to many Airstream travelers, though as with any other legitimate topic, not necessarily to all. Those who are interested in the topic can read and engage. Others can spend their time and energy in other threads which are of more interest to them. Your points are well-stated. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Airstream doesn't make or sell dogs or dog food or dog bowls or rabies vaccinations or Frisbees.... but dogs and travelling with dogs in an Airstream is a valid and wonderful discussion.
If you're not a dog-person, you'll likely not click on that subject and ignore the discussion thread. That's the way it should be.

But I was once intrigued by an already-existing conversation in these forums about crossing thru Canada on the way to Alaska in an AS and how to do so legally and arrive in AK with firearms... and so I joined that thread with a question about how to do so....and the thread was suddenly ended and some moderator wrote me privately ordering me to never again discuss guns here or I'd be banished (despite the fact I'm a contributing member here) and also ORDERING me to NEVER again dare question the moderator. (Not having ever been aware of such a rule, and being surprised by the censure, I had merely asked why the topic of firearms was prohibited.)

Since I am a moderator at a discussion forum myself (aircraft-related) I was somewhat familiar with "unruly" participants from time to time... but I must admit that I felt so insulted and unfairly attacked I almost decided to no longer participate here... ..but I decided that the moderator might just be having a bad day and let it go.

Now here is such a subject again and I wonder.... what is so wrong about what appears to be a legitimate discussion regarding how to travel successfully from state to state in an AS... be it with dogs, or prescriptions, or pepper-spray, or a personal firearm... especially if one is licensed to do so, and might even be a retired, former law enforcement person... ??

It seems a perfectly legitimate subject... If YOU are not interested in doing so (travelling with a dog or generator or handgun... then go to some other discussion and let those interested peacefully discuss their topic of interest. Wally would approve. I think.

Anyway, I'm not really interested in this topic so I'm moving on to the one about curtains....
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:57 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisE MN View Post
I'm considering purchasing a Governor for myself and wanted to know if anyone has any first-hand experience. I've already discussed the in's and out's with my friends in Law Enforcement. One of my jobs puts me in front of dangerous felons. I can handle myself quite well, but I do want to have a weapon while traveling alone, mostly for walking in the woods, but JIC as well.

I don't want a shot gun, too hard to get pointed in an enclosed space and heavy for a brisk walk in the woods.

The Governor is a handgun that will take shotgun shells. It's small enough to maneuver within a confined space and I can easily carry it if I want to take a long stroll into the woods for protection.

Please, I'm not interested in opinions as to why I can't or shouldn't or what states to do so. Thank you

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...t_Governor.jpg
Personally, I didn't care for the Governor.
Weight and length don't bother me as much as width, and at something like 1-3/4" it was too cumbersome as an everyday carry.

Handguns are like every other tool, there's no one size fits all. That's why most folks have multiple

If I had to choose just one, my favorite JIC, EDC, walk-in-the-woods, is my 1911. Hands down.

Chambered with HP
Or

Depending on the "territory"
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:20 AM   #56

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Hat On>>

This thread continues to flow well and within line of the CR's. Just letting everyone know that off topic material will be removed in order to keep this thread from boiling over.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I just bought a Glock 43, which is the 9mm single stack mag concealed carry version. I took it to the range yesterday for the first time and I am really impressed. The accuracy for a small pistol is amazing and is as good as my larger Glock 19. I might also add that I own a Bond derringer in .410 and .45 and I do carry it in snake country with bird shot. The Governor to me, is too large for a CC weapon.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The Governor seems to me to be a weapon you would have on your nightstand for home defense, not for concealed carry. Unless you have really big pants.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote