Old 03-28-2016, 08:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not see the desirability to shoot shot gun shells in a handgun. The long chambers make the gun big and heavy. I certainly would not want to shoot a .410 in a self defense situation. And I am not going to "plink" cans with it in the woods. So why? A .410 slug is not as powerful as a .38 special.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
It would be advisable to check with your state of registration and see what other states recognize your CCP.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The .410 shot shell is excellent for snakes, rats or other vermin. A .410 slug will make a nice hole at close range.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Good thoughts. ^^^. Second the VP9. I use mine for USPSA / gun games. Very reliable. For carry, when legal, I use a Walther PPS M2 with Speer Gold Dots.

Martian - I see you are in FL; I assume you have a FL CWHL. If you don't mind, what is your other state permit?
Llando88 - I also have a Utah nonresident CCW. Unfortunately, Minnesota recently stopped accepting Utah, reportedly because Utah issues CCWs to military personnel (and veterans) under age 21. So l'm down one. Checkout this website: www.usacarry.com. Stay safe and happy travels!
Old 03-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
my wife and I have gone round looking at guns to buy. We sorta focused on a 380 pistol. I found the 9mm a bit intimidating for a non gun owner. But we have one in our home, my son has a Glock.
If I was to full time, I think a gun would be a mandatory accessory. Still thinking about one more for the home. What I don't get is folks needing to own an assault rifle. Not against them, but I don't see the need....yet anyway.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #20
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
. What I don't get is folks needing to own an assault rifle. Not against them, but I don't see the need....yet anyway.
I tend to agree. I was in a gun store recently and was kinda amazed at all the goofy looking rifles with all the plastic stuff on them. Dunno if they are designed to just look scary or what. No real practical purpose for all that stuff on an otherwise simple .22 rifle.
But, to each his own I guess.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #21
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
As to the short barrel with 410 #8 shot.
I have a Bond derringer 3" barrel, shooting with the above load it will pattern out to 5' at a 6' range. Ineffective as a snake load, defensively you might put an eye out but generally just make then mad. The best snake load would be CCI shot shells in hand gun chambering. I have 45lc, and 45 acp on order, it will pattern about 6" @ 6'

I bought 45 acp barrels, the 45lc/410 only had about 3/8" of rifling to stabilize the 45lc on the 3" barrel. It came with the disclaimer about possible instability.
The S&W should do way better with 45lc for its barrel is fully rifled. It's the shot pattern I would look at.
One should try to shoot one before purchase to see what it will do for your intended use.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:43 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Alan, just as a suggestion if you are looking at a .380, the Sig Sauer P238 and the Ruger LCP. Both easy carry, really good handguns. If you think you have any interest in the 9MM, take a look at the Glock 43. In any case, you and your wife be sure to spend a considerable amount of time on a range until you feel very comfortable with what ever you buy. You do not want to have a gun that makes your feel intimidated. You want pulling it and firing it to become second nature.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
I have the Taurus Judge, but it's the "El Juez" model with the gold tone hammer, trigger and guard. Bought it for my collection, but haven't fired it. Not sure if I would take it on a trip. I saw a YouTube video reviewing the shot pattern at various distances. Didn't impress me an awful lot. I think it would be best at point blank range only.
I most likely will carry my Ruger .357 magnum, which I can interchange with .38 special.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #24
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
What I don't get is folks needing to own an assault rifle. Not against them, but I don't see the need....yet anyway.
Ugh, assault rifle. So much misinformation out there.

Rifles that you would call this, are basically designed to have interchangeable parts. They're customizable. That's why someone might want to own one and hunt with one.

This is the part of the media dubbed "assault rifle" that the ATF calls the actual gun.

This is called the lower stock. It's the gun part, and it's what is stamped and serialized. Everything else is an add on. You can customize everything on these guns typically.

Change out stocks, change out barrels, change out grips, stick all kinds of accessories on them, blah blah blah.

And whoever said they look scary, what are you a 12 yr old girl?

I built one and can change out between 223 and .22 with the same rifle, the stock is custom and adjusted to me.

On the other hand, 5000 of these are all the same and the most you can change is the scope.

That's why people want to own them. They're customizable.

It's not because they're crazy and think the government is coming for them. Although I suspect there are a few. I will also grant that a lot of folks buy them because they look like military hardware and never do customize their units. This is what the media always focuses on, the "military" hardware appearance of them.

And sorry for getting on my soap box and ruining your thread.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #25
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I have a detective 38 special. I am loading with hp's & bird shot. Smaller and not the recoil of the 45/410 combo.
Mike
We had the same revolver/ammo when we lived in East Texas (Tyler), and had property with a very large pond & creek running through it... We found it useful for snakes... cottonmouths (water moccasins). There’s always something a bit disconcerting about a snake dropping out of a tree and chasing you... Shot shell helped to make up for poor aim on the run...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #26
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post

And whoever said they look scary, what are you a 12 yr old girl?
Not sure why you feel the need to say this.
I know what an assult rifle is.
And I'm on your side.
I am fully aware that what "the media" calls an assault rifle has little or no basis in fact.
And no, I'm not personally afraid of those or any other firearm.
But I AM fully aware that to many, if not most people a simple rifle with all that extraneous plastic junk on them LOOKS like an assault rifle and is far more scary to them than a good old Winchester Model 94, a Springfield 1903 or a M1 Grand which were also assult rifles in their day.
You would do well to acknowledge that fact.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #27
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I said it because in this thread, I take that most of us are men and I don't need to tip toe or dance around my feelings with other men. I'm well aware of the emasculated population.

Here are some smilies so I don't run into Poe's Law of forum posting

Old 03-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
If you think .45 ammo is expensive go buy some for a .41 mag. ; (
Try buying some 10 mm expensive and hard to find