Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #1
54 Flying Cloud

1967 20' Globetrotter
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Minnesota
Anyone have a Governor Smith and Wesson

I'm considering purchasing a Governor for myself and wanted to know if anyone has any first-hand experience. I've already discussed the in's and out's with my friends in Law Enforcement. One of my jobs puts me in front of dangerous felons. I can handle myself quite well, but I do want to have a weapon while traveling alone, mostly for walking in the woods, but JIC as well.

I don't want a shot gun, too hard to get pointed in an enclosed space and heavy for a brisk walk in the woods.

The Governor is a handgun that will take shotgun shells. It's small enough to maneuver within a confined space and I can easily carry it if I want to take a long stroll into the woods for protection.

Please, I'm not interested in opinions as to why I can't or shouldn't or what states to do so. Thank you

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...t_Governor.jpg
KrisE MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Pretty sure it is a quality handgun with typical S&W quality. I have a friend with a Judge, similar to the S&W. She CCW one in her special made carry handbag. I took her to the range when she got it. 45lC was a little stout for her but she was comfortable with 410 shot shells.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have a detective 38 special. I am loading with hp's & bird shot. Smaller and not the recoil of the 45/410 combo.
Mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
The governor takes 410 shotgun and 45 LC. It is on the heavy side. My wife and daughters have all fired it. It has a kick and they can feel a stinging in their hands. For home defense, it is great, especially close quarters. As a carry weapon, I would look elsewhere.,again, it is heavy. There are several multi calibre revolvers that include some kind of varmint round for on the trail. It you don't mind the weight and size, go for it...it is a great revolver.
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
What's this got to do with travelling with an Airstream???
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Breckenridge , Colorado
Same thing other threads having to do with accessories while traveling? Generators, solar panels, chairs, microwaves... Makes life easier, more comfortable.
snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:35 PM   #7

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post

Don't like it? Don't read it!

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:49 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
Maybe the thread might have been better in the "Off-Topic" section rather than "On the Road," but that's a matter of interpretation.

Anyway, the Governor and its predecessor the Taurus Judge are both entirely adequate to the task. An over-and-under double derringer such as the Bond Arms Ranger II (or similar, as long as it has a trigger guard) chambered for .410 shot/.45 long colt is also an option, with the added benefit of improved concealability. You'd only have two shots without reloading, but if you need more than two shots at a time you might be visiting the wrong areas…
Old 03-27-2016, 10:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Don't like it? Don't read it!

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
I didn't say I didn't like it or you shouldn't talk about it, I said why on an airstream travelling site!!
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:10 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
KrisE MN - I'm no expert, but I'll share my thoughts with you in the hope they're beneficial. When I went full-timing, I decided to have a pistol for self defense and a concealed carry weapon license/permit (CCW) for legal protection. You realize a CCW is absolutely necessary, right? I won't get into that topic.

I haven't shot the Smith & Wesson Governor, so I can't comment about actual experience with the revolver. I think the revolver will have significant kickback, which will make it difficult to shoot accurately. Accurate shooting is critical if it ever comes to pulling the trigger in a self defense situation. I can't help but wonder why you want the capability of shooting a small shotgun shell through a handgun. Besides the kickback problem, the SW Governor has a short barrel relative to the gun's overall length, has only six rounds, and is slightly heavier than alternatives.

Since you like the 45 caliber, take a look at the Glock 30 Gen4 and the Heckler & Koch 45 Compact. Both pistols have a more favorable form factor and more fire power. Statistics on these pistols are available at http://www.genitron.com. This is great website for comparing various handguns including conceal-ability and defense factor ratings.

Personally, I carry the HK VP9, which is light on the recoil making it easy to shoot. It's a 9mm, but is sufficiently powerful in my opinion. I also have two CCWs that allow me to conceal carry in most states.
martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I am a fan of revolvers because they are reliable. I haven't fired a Governor or a Judge but I really like the concept of the .410 for close range. The .45 ammo seems a little pricey to me. I priced out both guns at a show recently and the Governor was much more expensive.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I find the Gov to be a bit heavy for an everyday carry. If it's SW you want, I'd suggest the SW Shield in the 40 Cal, the original was and is a 9mm.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:06 AM   #13
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I am a fan of revolvers because they are reliable. I haven't fired a Governor or a Judge but I really like the concept of the .410 for close range. The .45 ammo seems a little pricey to me. I priced out both guns at a show recently and the Governor was much more expensive.
If you think .45 ammo is expensive go buy some for a .41 mag. ; (
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by martian View Post
KrisE MN - I'm no expert, but I'll share my thoughts with you...

I also have two CCWs that allow me to conceal carry in most states.
Good thoughts. ^^^. Second the VP9. I use mine for USPSA / gun games. Very reliable. For carry, when legal, I use a Walther PPS M2 with Speer Gold Dots.

Martian - I see you are in FL; I assume you have a FL CWHL. If you don't mind, what is your other state permit?
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not see the desirability to shoot shot gun shells in a handgun. The long chambers make the gun big and heavy. I certainly would not want to shoot a .410 in a self defense situation. And I am not going to "plink" cans with it in the woods. So why? A .410 slug is not as powerful as a .38 special.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
It would be advisable to check with your state of registration and see what other states recognize your CCP.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The .410 shot shell is excellent for snakes, rats or other vermin. A .410 slug will make a nice hole at close range.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:44 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Good thoughts. ^^^. Second the VP9. I use mine for USPSA / gun games. Very reliable. For carry, when legal, I use a Walther PPS M2 with Speer Gold Dots.

Martian - I see you are in FL; I assume you have a FL CWHL. If you don't mind, what is your other state permit?
Llando88 - I also have a Utah nonresident CCW. Unfortunately, Minnesota recently stopped accepting Utah, reportedly because Utah issues CCWs to military personnel (and veterans) under age 21. So l'm down one. Checkout this website: www.usacarry.com. Stay safe and happy travels!
martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
my wife and I have gone round looking at guns to buy. We sorta focused on a 380 pistol. I found the 9mm a bit intimidating for a non gun owner. But we have one in our home, my son has a Glock.
If I was to full time, I think a gun would be a mandatory accessory. Still thinking about one more for the home. What I don't get is folks needing to own an assault rifle. Not against them, but I don't see the need....yet anyway.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:26 AM   #20
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
. What I don't get is folks needing to own an assault rifle. Not against them, but I don't see the need....yet anyway.
I tend to agree. I was in a gun store recently and was kinda amazed at all the goofy looking rifles with all the plastic stuff on them. Dunno if they are designed to just look scary or what. No real practical purpose for all that stuff on an otherwise simple .22 rifle.
But, to each his own I guess.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote