Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Grandville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I answered some questions yesterday and then the Forum went offline, so they got lost forever.

But one point was the Alaska ferry is different from other car ferries where you enter at one end and drive off at the other. The Alaska ships have side entrances because the waterways can be very narrow. So you may have to back down the narrow lanes in the ship, or back out. This is difficult if you are not good at backing. I saw a couple of guys having to back up a ramp with boat trailers once and that would be even more of a challenge, but that seems fairly infrequent.

You will have to enter the US several times on an Alaska trip. Be aware US border guards, especially new hires, are often nasty. When we went, fruit was big deal and they went through our trailer looking for fruit imported from somewhere bad. We were kept away and who knows what they were doing in our property? If you look different than what they think as acceptable, they may seize your devices and keep them for a while, demanding passwords. They act like there is no accountability and we felt like we were entering a hostile country. It is probably worse now than it was in 2010 and news reports confirm that. Crossing into Canada is usually pleasant and quick.

Gene

AGREE. My wife is Canadian. We make several trips to Canada every year. The nasty agents are always from the USA... and I'm a U.S. Citizen. Treat me like garbage on occasion!. Don't get me started on border agents.... Always targeting the wrong target in my opinion.
Wanna59cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Thanks to everyone for replying to my original post about driving to Alaska next summer. There has been some great info shared and look forward to hearing more details from those working on trip plans for summer 2018.
Mike
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I always worry about booking campgrounds and ferries way ahead of time because on a trip, especially a very long trip, you can be delayed. That can be very difficult to solve if you can't make the ferry on time. So take the ferry north and that way you have less opportunity for the wheels to fall off or get sick on the way to reserved bookings.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:48 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
We plan to be above the 49th parallel from mid June to mid September for about 80 days. Everyone says to take it slow. This may be a crawl.

And going north brings up many questions. Rock Tamers? Generator? Bear spray? Diesel? Hookups? Food? Beer and wine? Covering the roadside windows? Protect the propane lines? Extra fuel? Extra tank? Larger tank? Tools? Tires? Bearings? Spares? And food?

A hundred and seventy days east of Mississippi last year and only one of the questions above came up.

We're not the large caravan type, but it would be nice to meet up with some fellow Airstreamers.

Two Texans ready for a bigger State of Mind,

Carolyn and John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
We're planning on starting north to Alaska in late May/early June. We have our route planned, but am trying to be in Denali in late August, and in Fairbanks early September to catch a flight to Bettles and then to Gate Of The Arctic NP.

I received Rock Tamers for Christmas. I'm planning on taking most of the things you've listed, but what an extra spare tire/wheel for the trailer and TV?
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #26
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAirS View Post

And going north brings up many questions. Rock Tamers? Generator? Bear spray? Diesel? Hookups? Food? Beer and wine? Covering the roadside windows? Protect the propane lines? Extra fuel? Extra tank? Larger tank? Tools? Tires? Bearings? Spares? And food?

Carolyn and John
i guess rock tamers are not something you do with a whip. Most roads are paved and covering the front of vehicles is no longer necessary. The rock guards on the front of the Airstreams are exactly there to absorb rock hits. Some people cover them with another layer. Nonetheless, you may get a chipped or broken windshield, just like near your home. A windshield repair kit is a good investment.

We always take a small (1,000 w) generator for when we cannot have electrical hookups and needed to charge the batteries. When we had our Airstream, it had 200 w. of solar and we rarely needed to use the generator. Better batteries than the ones that come with the trailer are available—good quality 6 v. sealed batteries can run up to $600 for a pair.

Bear spray is a fairly cheap preventative, but although you will probably see bears, the likelihood of an attack is small if you follow the simple rules you will often see posted where there are bears.

Diesel: only if you have a diesel engine. We often travel with extra fuel just in case, but have only needed it once, and that was in Montana, not the north.

Most campgrounds have hookups unless you are in very, very remote areas.

Food is good if you get hungry. Note that crossing the border means some things are restricted and we have found US border police are very interested in fresh fruit. You can consult food rules on websites for the US and Canada. Note they can change without notice.

Beer and wine: there are restrictions on how much you can import. I assure you if you get thirsty, markets exist everywhere with beer and wine.

Roadside windows: same as extra rock protection. We had no problems.

It is a good precaution to protect the propane lines anywhere you go. Get some vinyl tubing, split it, fasten with hose clamps. Also check they are tight—I found minor leaks not too long after it left the factory.

Unless you have a very, very short range with your tow vehicle, an extra or larger tank is a very expensive remedy. Extra fuel containers of 5 or 6 gal. are easy to find, though good ones can be pricey, they are no where as expensive as a bigger or extra fuel tank.

Good tires are always important. I had 10 ply/Load Range E Michelins on both vehicles and actually use them anyway as my normal tires. They last longer for the money. You can get a flat many, many miles from anywhere, so a tire repair kit is useful.

Tools: bring as many as you know how to use. I have a complete set of wrenches, lots of other tools, torque wrench, compressor (attacks directly to batteries), giant screwdriver, hammer and rubber mallet, rivets and much more. Aluminum tape and duct tape can be useful as are hose clamps. A comealong, chain or tow strap, bottle jack, cheater bar, red cones and reflectors, can be useful. And never forget WD-40 (gets that nasty duct tape glue off) and sealant for leaks. There is no end to the tools you can bring, but they do get heavy and you may have limited cargo space.

Just one spare for each vehicle was all we needed.

If your trailer bearings have been repacked fairly recently and they are in good condition, the 10-12,000 miles you will likely cover should not require new bearings. Most trucks never need bearing replacement or repacking during their normal lifetimes.

Food again: you must be hungry, so bring more.

This is not 1947 when the Alaska Hwy. was opened to civilian traffic and it was a bog in places. It is a very good to fairly good paved highway. Most other roads are also paved, though some are not. it depends how far you want tho explore. Get the Milepost and check out what they say—some of what they recommend is extra precautionary and we found to be unnecessary. Stories about nails and spikes on railroad beds turned into roads are seemingly no longer true—we have been on some of them and had no issues. Good tires with good tread will get you through a lot.

You will do a lot of driving and go through remote areas, but food and fuel is available at plenty of places. Canada has good supermarkets in Yukon and BC in the larger towns and the same is true of Alaska. Get gas when you see it is a general rule, though we would skip some areas where prices were even more outrageous than usual. Restaurants have improved in remote areas over the years and you can even get salads in Alaska now.

Note that the further north, the higher the prices for everything. If you will need an oil change, bring your own oil and filter.

Gene
Old 02-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #27
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
I have been traveling there for many years, more than I can remember, in both SOB and Airstreams. Airstreams by far are more durable and enjoyable. I agree with Gene 100%. I will be departing the Gulf Coast of Mississippi mid to late April returning late September. I will be looking for everyone, so look for me as well. Most days you you will be slightly dirty, but everything cleans well with a little soap and water. ENJOY !! Click image for larger version

Name:	JNT_6500.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	687.9 KB
ID:	304221Click image for larger version

Name:	JNT_6547.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	834.7 KB
ID:	304222
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Nelson has very good post since he agrees with me. He also reminds me about dirt on the north country roads. At times you may be on dirt/gravel roads depending how adventurous you are. Dirt will even get into the wheels affecting wheel balance and causing a poor ride. Both tow vehicle and trailer may be largely brown.

Car washes are different there and you will find yourself spending quite a few quarters to get the dirt off. They are completely outside and often you park on a grate where the water drains. Dirty water splashes back at you so wear dirty clothes. Thoroughly clean underneath and especially the wheels. I have had to scrape through the wheels with a screwdriver or take the truck to a garage to have them removed and cleaned out.

I recall a car wash in Toc, Alaska, where if you buy gas you get a free car wash. That may save you $10 or more. There may be others.

The dirt and gravel roads are usually well maintained, especially in Canada. When it rains they can be an unanticipated adventure since some are clay and turn to something akin to grease. When a large vehicle approaches, slow down. They usually will too. The faster you go, the faster the pebble or rock that does hit your windshield will be going. While I have gotten windshield dings on dirt and gravel roads in the north, I got far more when I used to commute on I-70 around Denver.

And be careful. Alaska, Yukon and other north country locations can be addictive—we went three times and I'm eager to go again, but the trip looks longer now as I get older.

Gene
Old 02-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #29
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Once again Gene is [emoji817] % on the mark. Shines on both Airstream and tow vehicle will last till you move about 5 foot. Take your pick it’s either extremely dusty or kinda muddy, depending on the road. It’s a lot of fun and a beautiful drive. Well worth it. Because the mud or dust does not last long and washes off. Oh and don’t drop your keys over the granite.......you will regret that. [emoji41]
AirForums # 66116
Old 02-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #30
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
That’s grate auto speller caught that one.
AirForums # 66116
Old 04-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #31
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Anyone packed and ready to go?
AirForums # 66116
Old 04-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson428 View Post
Anyone packed and ready to go?

We are preparing to leave mid/late May.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Late June for us.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Be sure to leave a "ping" on this thread when you are in Alaska. I am on my way to pick up our 27FB Serenity next week, by which I mean delivery inspection and put it on the barge. Arrives in Anchorage/Wasilla AK the following week. We'd love to test our AS wings with some seasoned AStreamers. We could also be cajoled into providing some situational reports if you get into forest fire season, fishing season, etc. Our plan is to try some short trips as we get ready for longer trips next year.
pjshier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
pjshier,
That's exciting news! Good luck with your inspection!

Drew
Old 04-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
For those going up to Alaska, what routes are you taking up north?
Old 04-07-2018, 12:17 PM   #37
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
I’m thinking

Mississippi
Perryville, MO
Nebraska City, NE
Sidney, NE
Sheridan, WY
Havre, MT
Medicine Hat
Calgary
Banff
Jasper
McBride
Prince George
Houston
Prince Rupert
Kitwanga
Hyder
Iskut
Watson Lake
Whitehorse
Dawson City
Eagle Planes
Inuvik
Return to Dawson
Chicken
Tok
Glenn Allen
Valdez
Glenn Allen
Paxson
Denali
Fairbanks
Delta Junction
Chicken
Dawson
Whitehorse
Haines Junction
Haines
Whitehorse
Watson Lake traveling the ALCAN to Dawson Creek then headed south, have not decided the exact route home.
AirForums # 66116
Old 04-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Anchorage , Alaska
Rock taming....

After a winter trip down the Alaska highway I took off the 3M film and the front of my trailer, instead of a few random dings it now looked like it had been peppered by a 20 guage. There is a lot of grit on the road in winter. I am really pleased with my decision to fix the damage with bed liner (line-X) before and after pictures attached. Not everyone’s cup of tea but solved a lot of potential problems for me!
I am going home ( back north) in about 10 days
Having spent all of last summer working and living along the Alaska Highway
The drive whatever your route is amazing.
To Nelson...i noticed your route takes you into and out of Alaska via the Top of The world highway. Beautiful to be sure just wanted to let you know there is a beautiful free campground at Deadman Lake (Tetlin National Wildlife Refuge) along the Alaska Highway from there you can go through Beaver Creek and on to Whitehorse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13BC9A8A-5566-49A3-B85B-C64BBEA6BE15.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	308192   Click image for larger version

Name:	094CA6F9-8870-4A63-A999-AB5A123897E6.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	308193  

spaceship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
I installed a Rock Tamer mud flap on my truck that has helped greatly. Google “Rock Tamer”. It attached to the receiver part of the hitch.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
This will be our first trip north, and we are getting excited. We will work our way up to Glacier, then cross into Canada, then north to Dawson Creek, and to TOK, via Chicken and Eagle.

From Tok we will go west and go to Valdez, Homer and then up to Fairbanks via Anchorage and Denali. We are wanting to go to Gates of the Arctic and Kobuk Valley.

After Fairbanks, turning south we go to Tok, we would like to go down towards Glacier Bay NP, but weather will be a factor.

When we get to Prince George, I'm not sure how we will return home. How we feel and the weather will be factors.

This is an abbreviated list of our route. We have no time limits, and would like to visit as many National Parks in Alaska as we can. If we don't, well I guess we will need to return to pick up where we left off.

Thanks to everyone who have contributed advice and guidance.