Old 08-23-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Anyone ever had a PERFECT outing with their Airstream?

I was just wondering if anyone has had a perfect outing with their Airstream?
We just got back from a trip after conquering our furnace problem and thinking all is going to go well. I guess I am fooling myself on that thought!!!!!
Anyway....... heater worked great except a mousie must have nested in the ducting. Stuff was flying out of the vents.
There is a leak, I found it!!!!
There is a mouse. Trap is set.
The test monitor said I had water. Lots of water, it never left the high green. After a long day of hiking and well deserved showers and a great dinner, we couldn't wash dishes. The water pump was sucking air. So I left the house thinking I had a full tank of water. Not!!!!
So I was trying to remember if I have ever had a perfect outing. Uneventful would be a great goal............:neutra l:

Old 08-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Every time with a difficultiy is better than no outing at all!

Old 08-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Yes. I've had multiple trouble-free outings with my Airstream. Outings where nothing at all went wrong.

But as far as I'm concerned, even the outings where something has gone wrong are perfect. I've said it many times before, but the only functional difference between a disaster and an adventure is whether or not you can laugh about it when you tell the story later. If you get a good story out of it and no one was hurt, how can that possibly be a bad thing, no matter what went wrong?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
As I newbie I think this is a great, fair, honest question. I figured the issues I have had were because I was new to RVing and Airstream with a brand new trailer but it would be interesting to know if anyone has had a trip go off without one problem. I am sure it must happen, right? Oh please tell me it gets better.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Yes, several. Most of them actually.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
same here
Old 08-23-2017, 08:43 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

What constitutes a problem? Two people at dinner and an odd number of really good shrimp? I'd say that it's not a problem to begin with if you can laugh about it at the time. Stand here, not there when rolling up the wet awning .....

If you keep at it, regardless of your gear, it will get better. This assumes that you fix the problems rather than ignore them. Having the same problem over and over again is to be expected if you don't fix the issue. (keep standing it the same place and the awning will indeed keep dumping on you ...).

To speed things up you dig a bit to find "root cause" for the problems. If one tent in the group lost waterproofing in storage over the last couple of years .... any guess about the rest of the tents? Same thing applies to things like sealant on joints in an AS. One leak suggests you check a bunch of similar places. One mouse running around .... hmmm .... I'd bet on a mouse colony. How did they get in? What are they feeding on? How many (dozen) do we have to get rid of....

There are threads galore on all sorts of interesting topics. They are very useful for digging into the issue behind the problem.

Bob
Old 08-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lumberton , Mississippi
Send a message via ICQ to Lyman
Just come back from dry camping for 3 days with no hook ups. Plenty water, frig worked, heater on once. Used all solar and used TV 3 nights with programs off a small box which I use my cell phone for the hot spot to get internet. On top of this enjoyed a free Bluegrass music concert for free for two days inside park. We had a much larger camp site than people with full hook ups at much less price. So your answer is yes all went perfect.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:51 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Travel trailer - what is the origin of the word travel?

According to the Merriam Webster dictionary, the first known use of the word travel was in the 14th century. It also states that the word comes from Middle English travailen, travelen (which means to torment, labor, strive, journey) and earlier from Old French travailler (which means to work strenuously, toil).

And you expected what, exactly? Ain't it great that an Airstream comes with smiles? Hope to see your smile down the road. Pat
Old 08-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Every time with a difficultiy is better than no outing at all!
You are very correct
Old 08-23-2017, 09:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Same here
Old 08-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We spent the weekend at Palmetto Cove last weekend. Nothing went wrong with the trailer, and the trip there and back was uneventful. The air conditioner in the truck failed when I was backing in to the driveway at home, so I'm not sure if that exactly qualifies or not.
The "good news" is, that was the last failure of that vehicle. It's now residing at the back lot of our local Chevy dealer, waiting for somebody else to pour more money into it...
Old 08-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
The majority of my trips are without problems.
However, there have been a few that were not much fun (the time the water heater shorted out, or the time the furnace's circuit board died one winter night, or the time the battery would not charge while boondocking, or the time the water pump quit working before we showered one morning)
Figuring out how to deal with these things as they happen has been a learning experience for sure.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:15 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I find that some people always have problems, rather it be camping or just a trip to the store. I think they just like drama. We have spent over 600 nights in our trailer and do not recall any "problems" we have had some inconveniences and issues but nothing that we let ruin our trip.