Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Our outings ran about 50/50. I decided the moment I bought a big trailer and TV, that the most reasonable attitude would be this: "There will be maintenance and there will be some failures. Be ready. Be patient. Accept that it is part of RVing."

We had hitch failures so bad we had to run around finding welding shops. We had power jack fail. Some electrical shorts in the range hood. Poked a hole in the thin aluminum with a Equalizer bar. Blown fuses. A little leak in the AC. Leaks in the water attachments and so on. I consider myself to be a Junior McGuyver. I am resourceful and can quickly figure out emergency fixes with some minimal tools, duct tape and a hank of wire, sort of thing.

I totally accepted that a new TT is not even in the same league of build quality compared to a new Toyota or Honda! You buy one of these cars today, you can reasonably expect 99% perfection. That's totally unrealistic when buying an RV, which is made with dozens of workers cutting and fitting and fiddling stuff together by hand tools. I get that. So, I was ready for small stuff to go wrong. I think it is part of the RV experience. I can't wait to get back into the RV world with a new rig!
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
We have had our 23FB for close to 1 year and use it every chance we get. We have enjoyed every trip and cherish our time in our rig. We really haven't had any significant issues to speak of. Our only dilemma at the moment is which model to purchase to upgrade to something larger. [emoji23]
Old 08-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I gave up on perfection years ago.

To paraphrase Leonard Cohen...
...there is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #84
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
It is the nature of many forums/review websites. People want to vent their frustrations, whether with a broken whats-a-hoozey on their AS, the over cooked burger they just ate or whatever.

Also, as stated above, some people get hung up about any little thing that goes wrong. Others identity, resolve and move on.
Hi

Add to this the tendency to repeat the "tribal lore" again and again. If the group think is correct about the fix for an issue that's fine. If it's not correct, you simply get even more problems or more hassle. Not everything you read on the internet is correct ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #85
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Centerville , Massachusetts
Send a message via ICQ to Solus
My issue is that Airstream is technologically 4 - 7 years out of date by the time it hits the dealers.
No ethernet at all despite the DVD player needing it to access Hulu, Pandora, Youtube, etc and only one USB location in the entire trailer.
I had to tear out the DVD player to access the rear (to attach an ethernet cable) then was unable to plug the HDMI back in due to the cabinet not being hinged and no extra cable length.
Technologically Airstream sucks canal water.
No exterior storage to speak of and the interior isn't much better.
Instead of an extendable sewer hose carrier you get a fixed length that's too short for either brand hose I carry.
The stereo, DVD player and appliances are WAY obsolete. Does Airstream intentionally buy older products just before they're sent to salvage just for for the discount?
Why not even one complementary set of sheets???
You don't even get the manuals that should come with every appliance and system. I contacted the dealer and then Airstream only to be told essentially Airstream doesn't bother. No warranty info on batteries, torsion bars, tires, etc, etc, etc.
Airstream is a decent shell but what are they asking a MSRP of over 80k for? Where's the value?
My dealer (Colonial Airstream in New Jersey) doesn't even answer emails despite 4 attempts. Obviously more concerned with the sales side than the service side of business. I should have suspected something was up that the only 2 dealers in the North East were in New Hampshire and New Jersey. Obviously so few Airstreams are on the market because so few are sold. Apparently smarter people than me already understood this lesson.
I'm convinced Airstream exists on hype and promotion, certainly not because they bring a superior product to the market despite the lofty promotional literature.
BTW, I have a 2017 23D Serenity.
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Sorry you had such a bad experience. Mine was the complete opposite. Colonial answered every question I asked before and after the sale. I swapped the bluray player with an Apple TV and it was plug and play. I connected my phone via Bluetooth to the stereo and enjoy my tunes. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #87
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One of the things we were careful to do was to spend time in a number of models before picking one. Sorting out what is or is not in each one is a lot easier that way. Storage and "fit" in the trailer just can't worked out on the internet. There are always details that matter to you. No brochure or web page will ever tell you everything. You are spending a bit. You might need to spend more to get all you are after. You may find all you need in something more simple.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:59 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Ada , Michigan
Bad stuff happens, sometimes humorous, sometimes inconvenient, may it never be worse for any of us.
ronderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Ada , Michigan
Brought ours at Colonial, great people to work with. And a great trailer with industry leading resale.
ronderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:16 AM   #90
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Once.....when we picked it up.

Bob
Old 08-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #91
Elliot/Barbara

Airstream - Other
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fort Collins , Colorado
Many uneventful trips in fact most.
ElliotA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:28 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cresskill , New Jersey
NEver ever a bad trip but I have my share of issues. (Self inflicted) i remember being in the outer banks at 100 degrees and thought it would be a good idea to flush my black tank with fresh water with a closed valve. At the same time wife and kids decided to invite me for a bike ride. (Ohh crap) yes the water was on for 40 minutes overflowing from the toilet. It was an adventure but still say we had a great bike ride :-)

Those experiences are great campfire stories.
B.E.A.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:40 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E.A.M View Post
NEver ever a bad trip but I have my share of issues. (Self inflicted) i remember being in the outer banks at 100 degrees and thought it would be a good idea to flush my black tank with fresh water with a closed valve. At the same time wife and kids decided to invite me for a bike ride. (Ohh crap) yes the water was on for 40 minutes overflowing from the toilet. It was an adventure but still say we had a great bike ride :-)

Those experiences are great campfire stories.

Just way too hilarious!!!!!
Old 08-31-2017, 05:48 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Perfect would be exceedingly dull. Challenges contribute to adventure. That said, our Airstream works very well and mechanical problems are rare. Diligent maintenance helps keep us rolling through great adventures. And yes, those tank monitors are notoriously inaccurate. You will develop a feel for your usage.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #95
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Perfect would be exceedingly dull. Challenges contribute to adventure. That said, our Airstream works very well and mechanical problems are rare. Diligent maintenance helps keep us rolling through great adventures. And yes, those tank monitors are notoriously inaccurate. You will develop a feel for your usage.
I'm not much more for feelings, I want to know. That sounds like a slogan or something.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #96
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I just completed a 6 month, 10k mile trip with my 2017 25fb and it was perfect in every way. Ready to do it again very soon!
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Perfect would be exceedingly dull. ...
Well, maybe, but I prefer Uneventful.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote