Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2017, 04:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Yes, several. Most of them actually.

Ditto again.

Not discounting your water and mouse stuff, OP - those are bummers for sure. Whatever we've encountered (like this trip - micropulse dead, state park, longer stay than usual, black tank full a day before departure) just makes you laugh a little. My worst day camping beats my best day in the office by miles...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yup, almost all of them. Even a transmission going into limp mode turned out to be a minor inconvenience.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:03 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Anyone ever had a PERFECT outing with their Airstream?

4 years into Airstreaming, 4-5 trips a year, 6-8 weeks a year on the road, I don't believe there has been a trip where something hasn't had to be repaired. Dependably, screws come loose from cabinets and have to be replaced with larger screws. I can imagine after 10 years of this, things that started out fastened with #6 wood screws will be held together by 1/2" lag bolts. The most serious so far was the failure of welds in our fresh water tank, which fortunately happened slowly enough that it at least held some fresh water until the last day of the trip. The most recent was a leak in the black water drain system, which very noticeably left our scent in our last campsite, hopefully not for very long after we left. Despite these things, we have enjoyed every trip. These structural failures were quite worrisome at first, but now we have come to view them more as inevitable rites of passage, similar to blisters or sunburn on a backpacking trip.

It does sort of make me wonder, though. Despite the Airstream being more expensive than my truck, and despite driving my truck many more miles a year over often rougher terrain, I can go years without any structural problems in the truck. Why do you think this is?
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
I find that some people always have problems, rather it be camping or just a trip to the store. I think they just like drama. We have spent over 600 nights in our trailer and do not recall any "problems" we have had some inconveniences and issues but nothing that we let ruin our trip.
I don't look for drama. It just happens. Straight camping in the middle of nowhere can make for some interesting improvising.
BessieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:26 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Despite these things, we have enjoyed every trip. These structural failures were quite worrisome at first, but now we have come to view them more as inevitable rites of passage, similar to blisters or sunburn on a backpacking trip.

It does sort of make me wonder, though. Despite the Airstream being more expensive than my truck, and despite driving my truck many more miles a year over often rougher terrain, I can go years without any structural problems in the truck. Why do you think this is?[/QUOTE]

That's a good way to look at it. Blisters and sunburn. But a trailer is a very complex unit. It was great seeing the vintage trailers at Reno, so improvements are always in the offing. But some structural stuff you would think could be better manufactured against happening. We kept our big truck to be the tow vehicle. I has over 200,000 miles, lets see how long that lasts.
BessieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We don't strive for perfect but lots of really good trips. No Bad trips at all.

Of note though we dry camp aluminum tent all the time so there's not much that can wrong (Knocking on wood) except life.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The Airstream is not a complex unit. You want complexity? Try a 38 foot power boat. A machine dipped in saltwater and shaking even when its still. Two humongous engines. That is complex. I did that for 15 years, and we had some decent trips, but we had quite a few challenges that required us limping back on one engine, getting towed back, getting stuck, etc. Don't miss it one bit.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:20 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I suppose it depends on one's definition of "perfect." To me, that means absolutely nothing going wrong, minor or not!

On that basis, I doubt we've ever had one "perfect" trip! No real drastic issues, and luckily so far, all have been things I have been able to remedy myself without need of an RV repair man, and I suppose in a way, it does give me a bit of fun getting things sorted out.

Our trailer doesn't get used a whole lot and that may be a part of our problem.

A large % of our issues have been electrical problems stopping something from working, and more often than not turn out to be just bad grounds, corroded connectors etc - usually an easy fix thankfully.

Although I do sort of enjoy these little "challenges," they do at times occur with such frequency that they can be aggravating,

Especially after a long day's drive when the trailer is now parked and set up and it would be so great to just relax with a cold one - only to hear my wife call out to me that something isn't working!

On balance though, as others have said, we still enjoy the trips - maybe that
makes it "Perfect?"

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Our worst trip was after picking up our new to us Classic 30 last year. Three days home with unreliable hot water. Heated some on the stove for washing dishes. Took variable temperature showers. Turned out to be the bypass valve was open and it took me over a week to figure that out when we got home.

Then there was the trip when the furnace quit, but the heat pump filled in nicely.

I guess we have been lucky. Like FCStreamer said, try a boat. I've been towed back, sailed into a crowded harbor with a dead engine, and other fun things.

But a bad day Airstreaming, with few exceptions, beats most any other good day, as Protagonist said.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
They just stuck me in a sucky place at the NYS Fair, https://goo.gl/maps/DQwwCtZgLZR2.
But Still loving the vibe here.
Perfection or dissatisfaction is the sum of all parts
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:43 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Most of our outings are very pleasant and trouble free.
When I notice a problem on an outing, I get it fixed.
Right now I need a new city water hose. Just need to go on Amazon and press "enter".
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
We have both a trailer and an Interstate. Many, many trips without a single issue. However, if we come back from a trip and haven't demolished our camper then that was a successful trip! We choose to view all occurrences as adventures.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1955 18' Globetrotter
Carrollton , Texas
Yes - always! But then mine is a 1955! ;-)
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Santa Fe , New Mexico
We've had great outings without a single hiccup. We've had trips where stuff went south, like the time the fridge door latch broke and the door came off while driving on the first day of a 10 day trip. (I now know how to keep a door on with duct tape and use the fridge.)
It is all good.
We always say: "Any day (camping, fishing, skiing, hiking, etc.) beats a day at work."
rjbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
We've had way more good trips than those with troubles.
Just comelted a 5000 mile west and back in spring. Tundra and Airstream were flawless. Over the last 45 years of rv travel there have been some issues but we're able to deal with them and move on and enjoy. I always prepare best I can before leaving and take tools and some spare ods and ends to do an unexpected repair. Hang in there. It will be good.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BessieB View Post
I was just wondering if anyone has had a perfect outing with their Airstream?
We just got back from a trip after conquering our furnace problem and thinking all is going to go well. I guess I am fooling myself on that thought!!!!!
Anyway....... heater worked great except a mousie must have nested in the ducting. Stuff was flying out of the vents.
There is a leak, I found it!!!!
There is a mouse. Trap is set.
The test monitor said I had water. Lots of water, it never left the high green. After a long day of hiking and well deserved showers and a great dinner, we couldn't wash dishes. The water pump was sucking air. So I left the house thinking I had a full tank of water. Not!!!!
So I was trying to remember if I have ever had a perfect outing. Uneventful would be a great goal............:neutra l:
Yes, lots of my outings have been "perfect". It is always an adventure, so never "uneventful". I did experience similar to the issue you just had. But smoke came out the outside vent. Did not find mouse evidence, but, I suspect I let the water heater empty and it caused it to burn out when I turned it on. Fortunately, I did get a hot shower in it the day before. I was dry camping and I turn off the pump between uses.

But the good news...was that I found ALL the water heater parts on Amazon and had them delivered in less than a week. Did not have to mess with the tank itself, but I replaced most of what was outside behind the panel. Works perfect now, and I learned yet another lesson about AS repair. Oh yes, I also found a good youtube video showing the process. We live in remarkable times.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
The worst day in the trees is better than the best day in the office. Even the last trip when I had to leave IBIDY in Wyo for a week and go back the next weekend, because my Jeep was broken.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:10 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
It is like flying in a plane every landing you walk away from is a good landing. So as far as I am concern everyone of our trips are great even when the AC breaks down. Why because I am with family and friends and having a great time.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #39
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
It is like flying in a plane every landing you walk away from is a good landing.
My dad was career Air Force. It is not true that any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Any landing you can take off again from is a good landing!
Old 08-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
The worst day in the trees is better than the best day in the office. Even the last trip when I had to leave IBIDY in Wyo for a week and go back the next weekend, because my Jeep was broken.
Amen!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote