Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2017, 11:27 PM   #41
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We got our replacement lug nuts from McGard. The regular lug nuts were part 64010, and the locking lug nuts were part 24138. They are all 1/2"-20 Thread Size. https://shop.mcgard.com/

So far, very happy with these replacements.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:50 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Not to mention literally counting your number of stabilizers to make sure they're all up. I overlooked one in a shady spot once, and it dragged through our gravel parking pad. At least, by following the 20' rule and with the passenger outside to check for stuff, we caught it before getting on the pavement. Yes, the stabilizer was broken. We've seen other campers leaving a campsite doing this, also.
I have 6 red streamers similar to what pilots use. One for each stabilizer, one for the propane tank valve, and one for the front lift jack. You are already working on them to drop, lift or turn-on/off so attaching and removing them takes no effort at all. These are kept in the grey RV Parking/Stabilizer bag and whomever gets that bag, has the job to install and remove them until they get a different bag/job the next day. Final walk around by driver before leaving makes it hard to miss these red streamers.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:11 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Any Suggestions for First-Timers' Shakedown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luforia View Post
What did you replace them with and where did you get them? Thanks.

I just replaced 5 from various wheels where my lug wrench would no longer fit over the lug nuts. The 5 replacements I got didn't match the old lug nuts exactly, so I rearranged the lug nuts so all the new ones were on one wheel. It isn't noticeable that they don't match the original ones on the other wheels. I bought a few extra for future use. They had lug nuts that were the same size and close enough in appearance at the first auto parts store I visited, so I don't think they are that hard to find unless you want exact replacements. I don't remember exactly how much they cost, maybe $4-5 each.

I think they will last longer if you make sure your wrench is well seated when you put it on the lug nut. If you try checking the torque with the socket halfway on the nut, it will ruin the nut in a hurry. I sometimes have to give the socket a tap with a hammer to seat it, although not on the new ones (yet).
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote