Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
any streamers in or from the ozarks

i am sitting here amazed at the beauty out my stream's window..i am in or near mountain view, ark; currently on a trip that is taking us on a spectacular trip across norther arkansas...from west to east...and the beauty of the land has increased exponentially as the journey proceeds east....
we sold our house in bastrop, tx march 31 and began a search for a new home...leaving texas (except for legal domicle) after only 64 years...anyway we began exploring arkansas on a trip that will take us where our whim directs..headed for the midwest rally in May near rend lake in southern ill ...and heading for the balloon festival in October..

anyway...we are currently at holiday mountain resort outside mountain view, ark parked with my trailer on the banks of the sylamore river in a forest of beautiful trees....

this area has become number 1 or 2 on areas to settle down in when the time is ripe....the white river, norfolk lake, blanchard springs, gunner pool, to barley name a few of the areas greats... such beauty is abundant here......

we would love to meet any native streamers or any other that are in the area....lets camp at gunners pool........
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
College Station , Texas
I'm not there now, but wish I was. I have relatives in the northeast and northwest parts of Arkansas. It would be really hard to find a more beautiful area or one with nicer people. I think that part of the country is one of the best-kept secrets anywhere.

"The written word will soon disappear, and we'll no longer be able to read good prose like we used to could." - James Thurber
mddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Hello Kingfirsher24 and the 3Ps-

We agree with you, Arkansas is beautiful and the people are very down to earth. Murray's grandparents were from Arkansas and his sister and her family live in northwest Arkansas.

We thought Arkansas was so beautiful we bought a home in Siloam Springs when we were newlyweds with dreams of living there someday. We attached images below. It's right on Main Street, in the original downtown area. We're still working towards that but as you can see from our avatar, we in the San Francisco bay area. We'll be in Siloam Springs in May to celebrate our niece's graduation.

Enjoy your trip, we're a little envious!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0530.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	708.9 KB
ID:	101402   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0527.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	569.7 KB
ID:	101403  

Old 04-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
We are

WE ARE... WE ARE! The Ozarks are beautiful....We are in Branson West!

Love the home. You won't be sorry
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I grew up at the very southern tip of the Ozarks near Mt. Magazine (Highest point in Arkansas).

Draw a line from the Northeast corner of Arkansas to the Southwest, everything above that is mountainous and beautiful. Below is Mississippi Delta—different, but still there are things to see in the flats.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
Islander

I , by accident in my life, went to high school in Charleston, Ark...east of Fort Smith. I was just a kid and it was almost fifty years ago and did not realize the beauty of the state....Arkansas has benefited greatly from Sam Walton and Bill Clinton!!!!!...It has not been until now that i have rediscovered Arkansas...especialy the ozarks....this trip has begun in Charleston and we camped at Mount Magazine State Park...a very beautiful experience...the arrival of the
whip-poor-will...the bird that makes that sound...a great experience...from there we camped at citadel point on the arkansas river at cecil. then we moved to eureka springs and stayed at a beautiful KOA...and I don't usually stay at KOAs...then moved to a COE park at the base of beaver dam on the white river.....then moved to omaha , ark...south of branson Mo and then moved to our current location of mountain view, ark....must be the most beautiful place on earth....the lakes and rivers of arjkansas are beautiful and the hills and corresponding valleys are breathtaking...so much that we are looking to purchase a base camp in this area......

tomorrow we are headed to caulfield Mo and a resort ranch called Cloud 9.. a 6300 acre rv ranch resort...and then we will most likely head back to mountain view and contract this beautiful 7.5 acre creekside park for our home base....
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 04-28-2010, 06:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
...I haven't visited AR in my AS yet, but I've heard the Buffalo River is spectacular (someone said it is America's first protected river) and is the ultimate canoe river during certain times of the year....def on my list of places to go... have fun!
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Charleston huh? I grew up in Paris (For those who don't know the area, that's less than 20 miles further east down Highway 22, the main road). So much for making sure you knew about Mt. Magazine and the area.

I graduated high school in 1971, so the time is about the same too.

I also spent most of the '80s in Wimberley, TX over in Hays County, so I know that area too. Got my '67 Trade Wind in San Marcos.

If you come near Little Rock, be sure to get in touch. There is some nice stuff in this area too. Sounds like you are having a great trip.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
I was looking at your picture where you have the masks on.... Were you guys at "BURNING MAN"?!!!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Kingfisher,
I think I saw your Airstream at the Eureka Springs KOA as I drove by a couple of weeks ago.
I live about 4 miles from there. Yes, it's a beautiful part of the world. A friend of mine says we need to keep up the "hillbilly, redneck" reputation so we can keep this beauty a secret. I don't agree, we sold lots in our development to folks from TX, IL, IA, IN, MO and OK. There are a lot of flatlanders that retire around here.
I'm also a member of a Porsche club and the Texans are in wonderment of our scenic drives.
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
Hello Kingfirsher24 and the 3Ps-

We thought Arkansas was so beautiful we bought a home in Siloam Springs when we were newlyweds with dreams of living there someday. We attached images below.
What are those two loudspeaker looking things on the light pole outside your front door shown in picture #2 ?

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
My Grandmother lived across from Sugarloaf mountain for a while and then got a real nice mountainside house on Magazine Mt.. The territory is spectacular and I remember the crystal clear water springs running down the sides of the mountains, and a park called Devils Den was pretty nice too. But I also remember those wood/plank bridges that would be there too soon. I remember trying to catch my gasping breath when we would approach those bridges ha! Then while you creeped over them the boards would go clackety - clackety...Ha ha!
Old 04-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
Islander

buffalo river

while we were in omaha we explored harrison and jasper ark and the buffalo national historic river--one of the last undamed rivers on the continent and entirely floatable they say for its 150 mile length....breathtaking...then there is mt judea...called arkansas' grand canyon and as one moves eastward thru the ozarks the beauty takes your breath away we were at the KOA and soon after we arrived three other airstreams from tulsa okla showed up and we had a mini rally

where we are in mountain home...Holiday mountain resort...there is an old hanging bridge across the sylamore river and it is like that ...clickty clack and thump and crack.....un-nerving....we have traveled about a thousand miles in and around mountain view during our week stay here...blanchard springs is unbelieveable....mirror lake and gunner pool.....i may not leave arkansas...but we must travel on for we are scheduled to be at rend lake in Ill in mid May for an airforum rally.....
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 04-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Kingfisher,
You were close to this bridge while you were camped at Eureka Springs. It rattles, but is kept up well.
Beaver Bridge - The "Little Golden Gate Bridge" of Arkanasas
Bob
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76sovereign View Post
I was looking at your picture where you have the masks on.... Were you guys at "BURNING MAN"?!!!!!
Were you referring to this image?

Yes, that's us at Burning Man, in front of our 1974 Tradewind, during a six hour sand storm in 2008.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Burnstream Court Sand Storm 083008.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	101498  
Old 04-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #16
Islander

missed scenery

as we travel...it is hard not to be like a kid in a candy storethere is so much too see!!!!!but we are just traveling around and trying to catalog all the sights and make references for future return trips..I wish I had seen the bridge in eureka springs but i will get it on a return trip.....
thanks....

a few ozark images...crescent hotel in eureka springs....blanchard springs...looking out into arkansas' grand canyon and the buffalo river...
sunrise on the arkansas river at cecil ark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0923.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	101500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0872.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	101501  

Name:	IMG_0894.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	101502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0824.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	101503  

WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 04-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
Were you referring to this image?

Yes, that's us at Burning Man, in front of our 1974 Tradewind, during a six hour sand storm in 2008.
Did it do any damage to the finish on the AS? Like sandblasting...lol It could have made it look better, worse, or the same I guess.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
as we travel...it is hard not to be like a kid in a candy storethere is so much too see!!!!!but we are just traveling around and trying to catalog all the sights and make references for future return trips..I wish I had seen the bridge in eureka springs but i will get it on a return trip.....
thanks....

a few ozark images...crescent hotel in eureka springs....blanchard springs...looking out into arkansas' grand canyon and the buffalo river...
sunrise on the arkansas river at cecil ark
Beautiful Pictures of the Ozarks! Where is this waterfall? Thanks for sharing....
Old 04-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76sovereign View Post
Did it do any damage to the finish on the AS? Like sandblasting...lol It could have made it look better, worse, or the same I guess.
No damage to the finish as far as we could tell. We wish it made it look better!
Old 04-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Double Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4WEDI View Post
What are those two loudspeaker looking things on the light pole outside your front door shown in picture #2 ?
Wow! We had to do a double take. First we thought you were referring to the two turn-of-the-century cast iron garden urns closer to the front door.

We never noticed the loudspeakers. Maybe they're for hurricane warnings? Sounds plausible, no?

AND back to your regularly scheduled thread . . .