Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Huntsville , Alabama
Any problems with age of Airstream in campgrounds with RV age limits?

Although I've had my 1990 Airstream Excella 25 for just over a year, I actually haven't been to a lot of campgrounds with it yet. But this year, I plan to. In talking with someone in the area I want to stay in this summer, she said some of the RV campgrounds have limits on the age of the RVs they let in. I can see why. Most other brands of travel trailer, motorhomes, etc, just don't age very well. If I pulled up with a 1990 SOB generic white box travel trailer or motorhome, it would probably look old, dated and beat up. And I probably would have paid under $5000 for it. But as we know, Airstreams are different. They age gracefully, and the styling doesn't change very often - at least on the exterior.

If I parked my 1990 Airstream Excella next to a 2010 Airstream Flying Cloud, they would look pretty similar - to most people. Now, I'll make sure my Airstream is washed and looking its best. There are a few things I can't immediately change, like a few small spots of peeling clearcoat and the previous owner painted the roof white. Some of the paint on the hitch is a bit faded, etc. But overall, it's a well kept, lightly used 25 year old Airstream. I'd actually be quite insulted if I got refused entry to a campground because of the age of my trailer. Sure, it's a 1990, but I paid about 10 times more what a typical 1990 SOB travel trailer would have cost, as will most other Airstream owners. And my tow vehicle is only three years old. I'm worried some campgrounds may make their decision over the phone just based on the year of my Airstream, no exceptions. How does it work? I'm sure some of you have run into this before. Thanks!

Here are a couple of pics of my 1990 Airstream Excella.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fr2.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	235867   Click image for larger version

Name:	lr.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	235868  

JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Don't ask, don't tell.

You may have a problem in some of those self-styled "high-end" "RV Resorts" but in 99% of private campgrounds (even those with RV age rules) and all publicly owned campgrounds your unit will be fine.

You probably wouldn't want to stay in a campground that strictly enforced a rule like that anyway as the other campers would probably have something very rigid stuck up their derrieres.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Most of the places that have an age limit on rigs they accept, have "resort" tacked on to their name, and will actually ask the age of your rig when you call to make a reservation.

I would suggest you tell them it's a 2006 (less than 10 years old), and I would bet they will never know the difference.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Don't ask, don't tell.

You may have a problem in some of those self-styled "high-end" "RV Resorts" but in 99% of private campgrounds (even those with RV age rules) and all publicly owned campgrounds your unit will be fine.

You probably wouldn't want to stay in a campground that strictly enforced a rule like that anyway as the other campers would probably have something very rigid stuck up their derrieres.
Sounds good! Last year, I never had a problem at any of the campgrounds I went to. At that point I didn't even know that some RV campgrounds had an RV age limit. So, the thought never even crossed my mind to mention it or ask about it. I'll keep it that way. Don't ask, don't tell! And like you said, if I actually do encounter a place that has an age limit on RVs, then I probably wouldn't want to go in. It's probably full of people with $500,000 or $1M bus based class A motorhomes. Even a brand new $100,000 Airstream might look cheap, and the people there are probably way out of my league. I'm sure sooner or later I'll run into a place like that, but it sounds like there aren't too many. I get the impression most RV campgrounds won't have a restriction. Although they might refuse entry if they see a beat up, ugly 30 year old SOB RV pull in. Maybe.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Most of the places that have an age limit on rigs they accept, have "resort" tacked on to their name, and will actually ask the age of your rig when you call to make a reservation.

I would suggest you tell them it's a 2006 (less than 10 years old), and I would bet they will never know the difference.
Good idea, thanks! Yes, most people say something like "oh, they still make Airstreams?" And you're right, they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 1990 and a 2006. Maybe I'll do that LED tail light upgrade to give it a newer look just in case. But, I'll only do that if the only place around is a "resort". If there's a regular campground for us common, poor folk lol I'll try that one first.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Other than the snooty "resorts" catering to the Prevost crowd, most private campgrounds that have such a rule use it as an excuse to refuse entry to a beat up piece of crap RV and when they see that you have an Airstream in decent condition they'll waive you right in.

My experience is that private campgrounds generally like Airstreams because the feel it "classes up" the place.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Other than the snooty "resorts" catering to the Prevost crowd, most private campgrounds that have such a rule use it as an excuse to refuse entry to a beat up piece of crap RV and when they see that you have an Airstream in decent condition they'll waive you right in.

My experience is that private campgrounds generally like Airstreams because the feel it "classes up" the place.
Awesome! That's kind of what I was thinking in the back of my head.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Recent long winded thread,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ts-132414.html

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Huntsville , Alabama
Thanks, I didn't see that one. Just started reading it now. Interesting read so far!
Old 04-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
Sounds good! Last year, I never had a problem at any of the campgrounds I went to. At that point I didn't even know that some RV campgrounds had an RV age limit. So, the thought never even crossed my mind to mention it or ask about it. I'll keep it that way. Don't ask, don't tell! And like you said, if I actually do encounter a place that has an age limit on RVs, then I probably wouldn't want to go in. It's probably full of people with $500,000 or $1M bus based class A motorhomes. Even a brand new $100,000 Airstream might look cheap, and the people there are probably way out of my league. I'm sure sooner or later I'll run into a place like that, but it sounds like there aren't too many. I get the impression most RV campgrounds won't have a restriction. Although they might refuse entry if they see a beat up, ugly 30 year old SOB RV pull in. Maybe.
Actually, even though you have an airstream that looks no more than 10 years old, you won't be granted access to most of the parks but resort in their name. Most of the ones that I go to our strictly class A only. That's one thing I love about airstreams. Even my flat front XC Diesel, which is probably the least "airstream-like" of all the airstreams, still turns as many if not more heads than my parent's Newell..(and contrary to what you would think, very few of the $1mil plus bus crowd has a stick up their ass) I have to say the people at the Las Vegas RV resort, the resort RV park I frequent the most, are just as kind a down to earth as people at your regular run-of-the-mill RV park. I think it has something to do with most of the people at least from what I've noticed, that by the million-dollar buses are self-made millionaires. Surprisingly I was shocked to learn that maybe 10% of those people actually live in full-time! ( I personally would live in some of those full-time, as they're nicer than my full-time house)

Anyways, if you come across a resort like that that also takes travel trailers, it's really the people staying there that have an issue, it's the stuck up owners of the park. And they're probably living in a Marathon Prevost ( I don't know why and I can explain it but everybody that has one of those seemsears stick up the derriere mentality. I can defend Newell owners, their the class A variant of Airstreamers...for sure.

So that was a very verbose way of me saying just lie to them and watch the all the heads of the SOB trailer owners turn as you pull in all gleaming in the afternoon sun

Ps. I love my XC, and I may even be trading up to an XL my dealer just got on the lot....but I'm also dreaming about buying a '95 classic diesel...no offside to everyone in the tubes, but they just seem so impractical to me. I mean where do you store anything? And yet, every time I see one it's all I can think about.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Guy
The way your beautiful Excella looks...you will have NO issues being rejected. They'll be proud to have you enhance their places. Besides...it only looks 7 years old. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
Now the trend is classic canned-ham trailers and 'Glamping' . Some of those older SOB's look great and are nicely done.

The snoots are missing out on a great revenue stream.

I'm waiting for the RV resorts that ban RV's NEWER than 20 years old !
Bill Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1995 33' Land Yacht
Tempe , Arizona
ageism

I have a 1995 Airstream Land Yacht. It need a new paint job. The Arizona sun is brutal on paint and batteries. Anyway, I despise people who will only allow the new RV's in an on the road RV Park, or an RV a winter time RV park based on the age of the RV. I see prejudice against young people in all of our Snowbird communities, 55 or older. It is wrong for on the road parks or winter parks to deny entry just because you or you classic is too old. I had the same problem here in Tempe. An RV park, in the Barrio no less, told me I could not park my Airstream Motorhome in their snowbird park because it was over five years old!! People deny people over fifty-five jobs, People under 55 the right to live where they want to live. a child lost her parents in a car accident. Her grandmother lives in Sun City, Arizona. Their Gestapo board tried to force Grandma and her six year old grandchild to leave Sun City. They were going to take her house by force if she did not nuke her grandchild. She started to sue and the board had a change of heart. All cities hate Classic Cars, California attempted to outlaw all cars that are ten years old or older. All cities also hate RV's. Whether, the ageism is against people or classics cars and RV'S it should be OUTLAWED!!
lstepp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Huntsville , Alabama
Thanks everyone for your feedback. So far I have not experienced any "discrimination" on the age of my Airstream, or myself (I'm under 55). I'm sure the time will come, but there are plenty of other places to go, hopefully. Arizona is on my list for future places to visit, so we'll see how that goes!

In any case, I'll just keep my Airstream clean and in good condition. Many good reasons for that.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You will never have a problem at state parks, corps of engineers parks, or forest service parks.
Privately owned parks with the 10 years old limitation will let you in once they see your trailer-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #16
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I have never run into that issue, they always only ask how long is the trailer, and then don't believe me when I say 19'. Haha, go and enjoy.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
I have never run into that issue, they always only ask how long is the trailer, and then don't believe me when I say 19'. Haha, go and enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
You will never have a problem at state parks, corps of engineers parks, or forest service parks.
Privately owned parks with the 10 years old limitation will let you in once they see your trailer-
Good to know, thanks!
Old 04-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
I might add, those kind of people totally enjoy what ever it is stuck up their derrieres.....and if they don't already have something up there, I would really enjoy installing one for them..

Larry

Quote:
Don't ask, don't tell.

Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
We've got a couple new RV parks, (not campgrounds), owned by people who haven't a clue of what RV's really are. I stopped in one day, just to look, and was informed that an Airstream isn't an RV. I asked what they thought an "RV" was, and was told that it was a motorhome, or a 5th wheel. They do not allow travel trailers, simply because they aren't "RV"s.

At that time the little hairs on the back of my neck started to "stand upright", and I decided that it was time for me to leave.....quickly...

Larry

Quote:

Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Most people use the term RV to mean Class A motorhome not realizing that The term RV encompasses Class A, B, and C motorhomes, fifth wheels, travel trailers, hybrid (cross between travel trailer and pop-up), and pop-up trailers.
RV means Recreational Vehicle. Recreational vehicles are not limited to just motorhomes. Motorhomes is just one category of RV.
That's like saying car isn't a car unless it is a large luxury car. Other categories are not cars if they are in other categories- sports, convertible, mid-size, economy, compact, sub-compact, station wagons, crossovers, and SUV's are not cars because they are not large luxury cars-
What kind of twisted logic is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote