Old 02-23-2005, 12:10 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Stainless double-walled (thermal) 6 cup french press. This thing makes the best coffee and isn't breakable! Avaialble at starbucks and other places - i'm sure. Takes up less space than a traditional coffee pot.

Disposible rubber gloves - for unspeakable activities
Good-sized outdoor carpet - cuts down on the amount of dirt in trailer.
Duty roster - put those kids to work, you're on vacation!

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:00 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Coffee!!!

Janet, I love the idea of the French press coffee maker. As a dedicated coffee drinker (I work nights---couldn't survive without the stuff!!), I wouldn't dream of going anyplace without coffee available I'll look into one of those. The duty-roster is another five-star idea, and one I will definitely put into use.

Thanks to all of you who have responded with great ideas and links to lists. I am getting pretty excited about compiling my own list from everything and then packing up our rig to go!

Old 02-23-2005, 04:38 PM   #17
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
I suggest you stock your trailer with stuff that can stay there.... That means you get to purchase new stuff. The biggest part of packing is provisioning the kitchen. If you have dedicated equipment all you have do is pack food. So find sheets, towels, warm stuff, dishes and cooking gear that you can leave in the trailer. Get good stuff - don't skimp. You have a great new trailer - put in good dishes and great linens - make it a mobile five star hotel. Do not buy light colored sheets - feet that camp get dirty - and it will show. Get towels that will dry quickly - bigger is not better.

Get a paper towel dispenser! Don't feel guilty about using an extra roll now and then -it conserves water. Put a small - tiny - trash can under the kitchen sink and another in the bathroom. Empty them every day - We actually usually empty trash after every meal - cuts down on used food odors.

Make your kids accountable for their spaces - tell them exactly what you expect and let them know that the standards are different in the trailer because of close quarters - they won't mind. Try a reward sytem or put one of them in charge of a daily inspection - develop a little competition...... it will pay off handsomely. Prepare for bad weather - if you don't have a TV in your trailer take a laptop or portable dvd player let your kids choose some movies or games.

Permanantly stock sun screen, bug spray, first aid kit, a hatchet, matches, rope, tin foil, plastic wrap etc. The best way to simplify the loading process is to only have to load food and clothes. Pack clothes directly into trailer - no suitcases! Saves room. Show each kid how much space they get - no exceptions! Bigger kids need more room - their clothes and shoes are bigger. Consider packing a small pop up tent - move a couple of the kids outside when weather permits - they'll think it's cool - you get more space.

Pack a hammock! Kites are cool too. Get each kid a small led flashlight - yes they cost alot more up front but the battery savings will be well worth it - they go for 100's of hours on 2 AA. Don't buy lights that take spendy batteries e.g. watch type batteries or AAA.

You'll get good at hitting the raod. At my house - each is responsible for personal items. One adult loads the food and fills the fridge - the other fills tanks, hitches up, checks lines etc. We can get on the road in an hour - start to finish.

At the end of your trip - kids take their dirty clothes inside. Towels and sheets go right into laundry and then directly back out to trailer. Plan your next trip while the dryer spins....

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote