Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
It is a picture of Sponge Bob, in his adult plumage. He was one of 7 I hatched in 2008, the firsts ever hatched in the US, I imported his parents and two other part from Wales. They are accipiter nisus, commonly known as the European Sparrowhawk.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
European or Eurasian Sparrowhawk??

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
It is a picture of Sponge Bob, in his adult plumage. He was one of 7 I hatched in 2008, the firsts ever hatched in the US, I imported his parents and two other part from Wales. They are accipiter nisus, commonly known as the European Sparrowhawk.
Goshawks, yesterday I went to a nearby ranchland to try and capture a picture of a Green Jay. I hid next to a tree stump at the short end of a pond (dirt tank as they call it in cattlemen terms). After about three hours I was startled by a swoosh of a raptor low beneath the trees next to me. About ten minutes later, I observed something on the other side of a thick branch. It finally flew to where I could see it, about 15 feet straight in front of me. It sat on that branch for 30 minutes and then dropped down to the water. It sat there taking a bath, not 12 feet from me for the next 20 minutes. After it finished bathing, it flew up towards me and sat on a branch not 8 feet from my face and dried off for the next hour and a half. I am not familiar with this species, but it looked like a Falcon. I got home last night and at first believed it to be a Merlin. But after more investigating, I found it to be a Eurasian Sparrowhawk. What a treat this was...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2599.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	174437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2716.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	174438  

Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Because it came from Wales I said European , but you are quite correct in classifying it as Eurasian. As far as the photo goes what you have a photo of is a female Coopers Hawk accipiter cooperii. Many of the raptors have and are in the process of migrating to Texas and beyond. That you had a chance to watch them up close is indeed a great thrill. As far as the Spar ( E. sparrowhawk ) goes. It is highly improbably that you saw one ( definitely not one in the photo) as there are less than 30 total in the US and they are all in captivity. How do I know... I am one of three people that have the correct Fed. permit to import them in, and have bred them here.
Never the less congratulations on your encounter with her, most folks find them straddling a small bird under their bird-feeder in the backyard!

btw if you do get a picture of the green jay please post it for us to see.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Green Jay and Mystery Bird...

GosHawks,
Thanks for your experienced response. I had a little trouble identifying her because the chest feathers were strangly designed and I was at first thinking Coopers only had red eyes. I appreciate your input so I can correctly label my photos. I did finally get some Green Jay pics (attached) and I could use some help on this other bird that visited me at the pond.

Tharon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3253.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	174672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3290.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	174673  

Old 12-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
The juvenile Cooper's Hawk have yellow eyes -like the one in your photo. As adults their eyes go to orangish red then brighten Crimsom red. Thanks for the other photos... I believe ( but am not sure) , the shore bird is a Great Yellowlegs or possibly a Lesser Yellowlegs. Great shots
Thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
and then I got red eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
The juvenile Cooper's Hawk have yellow eyes -like the one in your photo. As adults their eyes go to orangish red then brighten Crimsom red.
Goshawk,
Sure enough, I got a visit from an adult Cooper's hawk and the eyes were near red.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2599.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	174839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3327-001.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	174840  

Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Nice photo ... I would guess it to be a first year adult.... when you catch up to an older haggard ( adult) coop it's eyes will appear to be fluorescent red like they could burn right through you. Goshawks also go through the red eye thing but by 10 years old their eyes become very rich dark mahogany. Sharpies get a very bright red eye as adults but nothing like the Coops.... keep looking!