Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jackson , Georgia
Another Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel Question

I am wanting to take our 2005 Airstream International 28 ft to see my family in Maryland camping for a couple of nights on Chincoteague Island. I have driven my dually on the CBBT and some spots seem pretty narrow. Will I have any problems towing my Airstream?
drlora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Is Propane allowed in tunnels?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
You should have no problem towing your AS thru the tunnels, 18 wheelers go thru it all the time. Propane is allowed in the tunnels however tanks must be in the off position. Also on the Eastern shore side of the tunnel there is a very large rest area with clean facilities. I would recommend that you stop there as the next rest area is at the state line of Va and Md. beware of speed traps as the milage go up and down in the smaller towns.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
I saw a sign at a tunnel in mid Norfolk after the Bridge Tunnel, that had a sign reading something like 'all RV pull in for inspection' I maybe wrong, was negotiating heavy traffic.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
. . .
Propane is allowed in the tunnels however tanks must be in the off position.
. . .
I believe this is correct, for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.

http://www.cbbt.com/
http://www.cbbt.com/travel-informati...s-regulations/

FYI drlora, the new search function in the blue box above works great, and there are many earlier threads/posts about the CBBT and other tunnels re: propane:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ches...=airforums.com

Not on your route for this trip, but worth mentioning IMO -- is that some tunnels absolutely prohibit RV's with propane tanks -- like Baltimore and NYC among others -- even if the propane tanks are turned off.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=KQx....0.rN_crpFR6Nk
https://www.google.com/search?q=balt...=airforums.com

Happy trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #6

Charlottesville , Virginia
Before going through the tunnel, you will be instructed to pull off and an employee will confirm that your propane tanks are turned off.....otherwise you are good to go!
Silver Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
We always drive this route when headed south...much nicer than I-95. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is no problem with our 27fb. The tollbooth attendant will ask you if your propane is off, which is required, but that's it. The only problem here is if there is a storm with high winds. Then they shut down trailer traffic until the winds die down. Once we waited 4 hours on the north end where there is a large, nice rest area that does allow overnight parking.

If you take the Hampton Roads Tunnel to Williamsburg, you will have to pull over to be checked by a safety guy. They usually just ask if your propane is off, but once I had to get out and show them. No big deal.

PS - Love Chincoteague. We have already been there twice this year.
2023 GMC Denali 3500
kdinnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
Hi Drlora -

Husband & I pulled our 27FB (which is 28 ft long) through CBBT going toward VA this June - toll booth person simply asked if our propane was off (it was). Remember to keep headlights on - those tunnels are DARK.

We also did the tunnel the other way around a couple years ago, and again, simply got asked if propane was off. Maybe we looked honest or looked like we had enough sense to have it off. LOL

One other note: we take I-64 around the south of Norfolk to avoid a smaller tunnel on the more direct route. Longer, but less aggravation.
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
1966 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Dover , Delaware
We always take that route when traveling south with our F250 crew cab 8 foot bed and 30 foot airstream. No problems I turn the radio off and pay attention when traveling through the tunnels. Pay attention, keep focus on the road and you be fine. Just make sure you turn off propane tanks before you get to the toll plaza.
helwigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #10
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
I also like the Chesapeake Bridge. The one on rt 50 at Annapolis.
Taking Bridge Tunnel through Norfolk, I had the best steak dinner at George's Steakhouse in Suffolk Va. Good parking until prime time, then they get busy.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One *interesting* thing to watch as you go through most long tunnels ..... the big trucks tend to accelerate in the tunnel. My guess is that it's to reduce the number of people passing them in the rather narrow tunnel lanes. It's common on the PA turnpike tunnels and on the Chesapeake tunnels.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Another vote for I-64 ,east side of Norfolk, much less stressful. Also agree the rest area on the north side of the CBBT is a great stop,has some nice hiking trails to stretch your legs.
One other suggestions,when the road seems narrow for me if I Focus further down the road way it seems to help. Much easier to stay centered.
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Two things to know for first timers on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel

First the bridge portion was widened from 2 to 4 lanes several years ago. The two tunnels weren't (cost too much) the widening project is now underway but will take years to complete.

#2 (like in Oh sh**!) The lanes in the tunnel are narrow and scary as #2 for even seasoned drivers and is is a good idea to RETRACT your curbside mirror! An oncomimg semi gave me the urge to move slightly toward the tunnel wall.... SNAP, there's $250 I'll never get back. Sigh.[emoji849]
Old 08-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Goode , Virginia
I've taken that route from SW Virginia several time without an issue. I must say the first time with our 27" I had white knuckle going into the tunnel. I like to keep the tow mirrors extended on my Ram 2500 not only to see the wall but they are a better sacrificial piece of equipment than the AS. One thing to repenter is the cross winds going out of the tunnel can be BAD. On one trip I found out just how great the ProPride works when we not only passed two 18 wheelers and had cross winds off the bay. Thank you Sean! Just be vigilant turn off your propane and you'll be fine.
SMLJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Quite a while back, a member who said he worked for Baltimore, posted here re propane in the Baltimore tunnel. For some screwy reason. SMALL propane bottles/tanks ARE allowed through the Baltimore Tunnel. The member said UP TO a TEN-pound propane tank was permissible AND, a vehicle could have UP TO TEN, ten-pound tanks (for a legal total of 100 pounds of propane AS LONG AS no tank/bottle/container held more than 10 pounds of propane). I don't know of ANY RV/trailer that uses 10-pound propane containers. 20# & 30# seem to common sizes (after that, frame mounted ASME cylinders seem to be the norm). This is certainly screwy enough to be a law.

In the Virginia Beach, VA area, there IS a tunnel with multiple CLEARLY posted signs directing a driver who has propane onboard, to pull into a designated area for inspection. A uniformed employee comes out and the driver MUST show that employee that the propane IS, in fact, turned off. Fail to stop for inspection and, there could well be a summons waiting for you when you reach the other end of the tunnel (RV/trailers are easy to ID). Should they then find that your propane valve was open, I'd hate to see the fine on that (vs a smaller fine for disobeying a traffic control device).
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
. . .
. . . re propane in the Baltimore tunnel.
. . .
Just to emphasize, in case this is not readily apparent on small phones and devices, that the first part of the last comment applies only to the Baltimore tunnel.

Safe travels,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Not if the dually makes it through ok! Stay calm, you’ll be fine.
Safetyfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
There have been, with some frequency, trucks literally blown off the bridge sections of the CBBT. (Google it.)

Although your AS will have a lower profile and present fewer square inches to the wind, DO NOT HESITATE TO SLOW DOWN, even to a speed that is well below the maximum limit. The tunnels, as others have mentioned, have extremely narrow lanes, and you should use your side mirrors to keep well inside your lane. Some tunnels do not have one-way traffic, so you will need to be super-alert for oncoming vehicles with distracted drivers at the wheel. Also, there are no pull-overs in the tunnels, so a breakdown, even if not your own, can tie up traffic on both sides for quite awhile.

After several trips north and south via the CBBT, we have sworn off it until such time as the CBBT gets enough $$ to segregate northbound traffic from southbound traffic. But if you're YOLO folks, the CBBT may be worthy of your trailer-towing bucket list, and, once you get to Norfolk, it's the shortest route to the Delmarva Peninsula.

Safe travels!
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Doylestown , Pennsylvania
Is the cost of a trucker GPS worth the $
Probably yes if they offer safer routes a dn keep me out of problem areas
towing 45ft
( 25ft airstream and F150 ( 5 1/2ft bed )
77walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
Groundbreaking for the second expansion phase, construction of a parallel southern tunnel, was September 2017, and is expected to be completed in 2022. It will hook into the second set of trestles constructed during the first expansion phase. The third expansion phase, for a parallel northern tunnel, alas, is not expected to start until sometime in the 2030's. And the second expansion phase has already caused the closing of the restaurant on the artificial island, which I had such fond memories of from my youth.
TheOhioSean is offline   Reply With Quote