Old 02-26-2016, 07:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Animal Stories

Watching the news this morning, and a clip about a unicorn-embellished pony that kept running off from a children's party.....prompting interesting calls to police dispatchers....I thought it might be fun to post strange or scary animal encounters on the road.

I'll start.

Our first trip a number of years ago to Hunting Island State Park, SC, I was sitting outside at the picnic table with the laptop, working on something.

We'd been there a couple of days, and the very bold squirrels actually would scamper right inside the Interstate, if you left the door open.

Sitting at the table, one got closer and closer to me, looking for a handout, finally putting its front paws on the top of the screen and peering at me it.

Caught up in the moment, and both of us afraid to move for fear it would scamper off, there is no photo.

Another time, out West somewhere, in one of those old cow towns with main streets the width of interstate expressways....it was early evening, traffic was heavy, and I spied a bull with a nose ring, as big as a pickup truck, standing right at the edge of the highway.

He was so close, I could have reached out my window and patted his nose.

Calling 911 to advise of this danger apparent even to me, the dispatchers first question was "do you know whose bull he is"?

Of course not, I replied, we're from Illinois and just passing thru, but I know he doesn't belong there and the havoc that would be wreaked if he got into traffic.

She said "we'll send someone out right away".

Share your wild animal stories, folks ....there is one somewhere on these forums about a grizzly bear that came thru the back of a Bambi while the owner and her two black labs escaped to the truck out the front.

Maggie

Old 02-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
we were camped along the river and I was trying to point something out to my wife when a finch came and landed on my finger. Don't know who of was more surprised, the wife, me or the bird.

Another time, the kids had been feeding chipmunks. We left to go on a bike ride and when we returned, the @$%#^ had chewed a hole in my brand new cooler.
DON'T FEED THE ANIMALS !!!

Old 02-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We woke in the night to barking and a racket in a campground up in the UP, found out the next morning some campers had left bacon in hard sided, plastic cooler. Everyone knows better than that.

When their dogs woke them up, he unzipped the flap to see in his flashlight beam a large black bear with the cooler in its teeth.

The dogs chased the bear off, the cooler was still intact, but for perfect teeth indentations about 2" deep....the Bears teeth had gone into that cooler like it was made of butter.

Maggie
Old 02-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
My Dad.. out golfing with his girlfriend... had their snacks in a small cooler on the back seat of the golf cart... they were on the green and noticed movement around the cart... then saw a pair of raccoons running off into the nearby woods with their snacks!

Another time, a squirrel grabbed his girlfriend's 'trail mix' off the cart!

On yet another trip, there was a gator.. over 10' long laying on the green... the grounds keeper said.. "oh, was that the 7th hole? He likes to sun himself there..." Yes, they live in deep South Louisiana...

I suggested they stop leaving a trail of snack shells along the course... and to wash up real good after breakfast so the gator doesn't find them interesting..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
This might be more of a crazy person (me) story, but it does involve our dog Charlie, so I’ll go ahead and tell it. We’re not quite 3 months into the Airstreaming experience, so this is all still fairly new to us. A couple of weekends ago we were camping at one of the FL State Parks, and I noticed there weren’t any other Airstreams around. I always look for them in case there is an opportunity to learn something.

We had some relatives visiting us for lunch, and decided to go explore the park after we ate. We left our dog in the trailer - window open, fan running, plenty cool in there – so that he could start getting used to being alone in the trailer for a while. After about 30 minutes or so we were driving back past the campground on the road that ran behind, with about a 20 yard buffer of trees in between, on our way to another part of the park. I was a passenger in the car, and as I looked over, I noticed the trailers and said “there’s our campground”. Then I saw our Airstream and there were a couple of people standing outside the door. My first thought was, “Oh no! Charlie wouldn’t quit barking and they are concerned that there might be a problem”.

So I asked my brother-in-law to stop, and I hopped out. I walked through the trees, and as I walked up to the Airstream I didn’t hear the dog, so I said, “Was my dog barking?”

Then I noticed the Quebec license plate, and that they had just pulled in and were setting up. They were looking at me like I was crazy. After all, I did just come from out of nowhere asking about a barking dog. They just kept smiling and I kept trying to back pedal, “Um, sorry… we’re parked over there and I thought this was our Airstream… thought our dog might have been barking… sorry, sorry”.

They never said anything and I eventually just walked away embarrassed. I didn’t get a chance to stop back by, so if you’re out there reading this, again, sorry about that, and I hope you thought it was funny like I did afterward.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
While in the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone, looked out the door and there was this guy inspecting our fire pit. He stayed for half an hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC8233.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	257876  
Old 02-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The size of buffalo, so intimidating...

At a rally a few years ago, some of us were standing around outside before the potluck got underway, and I happened to see a fellow participants little dog thru a small window, well off the ground.

Not knowing the configuration of various trailers, I wasn't quite sure where he actually was in the trailer, but someone standing next to me knew he was on the counter.

Alerting the owners, the dog was found to have eaten a dozen ham biscuits.

A very sick little dog that night.

At a campground somewhere in Texas, I believe, neighbors had turned water off at a site after seing it pouring out underneath the front door of a trailer whose occupants were gone....but for the dog, that had gotten up on the counter and turned the water on.

Filled the grey tank, then the sink began overflowing onto the floor, eventually out the door. It's not really funny...but it is.

Maggie
Old 02-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, then....there's my close encounter with a wild burro in Custer State Park in 2002.

If you have ever been, the burros are very accustomed to humans, you can walk among them, feed them carrots, they roam free in the park, thru the campgrounds, etc.

I took our then-dog, a Brittney Spaniel, out on the leash, feeling sure the burros were accustomed to dogs and it wouldn't be a problem.

The dog was not a problem, but the long, black fabric leash was.

A huge burro went after that leash, dog attached at one end and me at the other of course, wrapping me up quickly and knocking me to the ground, jumping over and on me trying to get to it as the dog kept trying to get away.

With my arms over my head to protect it, I peeked out to see Gus on the ground between the burros front hooves, one hoof pawing at the leash...which he miraculously got loose from the collar without hurting the dog.

Once it was off the dog...and still, of course...the burro walked away, and that was the end of that.

We finally concluded the burro thought the black fabric leash was a snake, and was killing it to save me and the dog....and, of course, the burro herd all around us.

I missed three weeks of work due to a massive hematoma in my leg, and still carry a scar from where the hoof scraped.

Thank goodness I had jeans on, or the hoof would have torn my leg open.

Magfie
Old 02-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
It's probably not a big a deal, but my brother and his daughter had been giving me a bad time about the possibility of the Bison seeing themselves in the shinny AS skin and wanting to play. They insinuated that the Bison play rough. So we were a bit concerned when we went to Yellowstone. The good news....no issues while we were there. At least until we went to leave. As we drove out of the park, we came upon a big fella walking down the road. As we followed him he started working his way to the side of the road. We went around him, but as the trailer came even, he sped up and headed our way. Glad we had a clear road ahead. Pat
Old 02-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
I told you that story to tell you this one. Seems that there is a Bison at Yellowstone that likes to chase Toyota Prius. Guess he does not like them sneaking up on him. Pat
Old 03-18-2016, 05:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A really neat story, about a pup lost at sea....then found.

http://fox8.com/2016/03/17/navy-find...a-for-5-weeks/
Old 05-17-2016, 06:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What were they thinking....

I wonder why this little guy couldn't have been sent to a wildlife refuge or zoo somewhere, and bottle-fed rather than being put down.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/17...their-suv.html

Maggie
Old 05-25-2016, 07:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wouldn't this be something to wake up to.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=39349221
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	263177  
Old 06-15-2016, 05:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wading in a lake in Florida, where No Swimming signs are posted...what are people thinking.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT