Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
Andersen Camper Wheel Leveler and Chock + X-Chock?

Is it recommended to use both of these products? If I am utilizing the leveler, would I also be applying the x-chock?

Also, should the x-chock be applied before unhitching and removed after hitching?

I appreciate the feedback and direction for my newbie questions! :-)

Chris
Airhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhills View Post
Is it recommended to use both of these products? If I am utilizing the leveler, would I also be applying the x-chock?

Also, should the x-chock be applied before unhitching and removed after hitching?

I appreciate the feedback and direction for my newbie questions! :-)

Chris
I use the Anderson leveler to level my trailer on the side it needs to be...then I use a Fastway One Step Tandem on opposite side:

Then I will unhitch and use the xchock on both sides. I unhook both of the xchocks before I hitch again. After everything is hitched up I will remove the faststep and pull off the levelers.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
I use the Anderson leveler to level my trailer on the side it needs to be...then I use a Fastway One Step Tandem on opposite side:

Then I will unhitch and use the xchock on both sides. I unhook both of the xchocks before I hitch again. After everything is hitched up I will remove the faststep and pull off the levelers.

Great... so the Fastway Chock is your main chock and the x-chock is more stabilizing?

My assumed shopping list:
Two Andersen Leveler and Chock
One Fastway Chock
Two x-Chock

Am I on the right track?

Thank you!

Chris
Airhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
yes....I assume that once the x-chocks are connected you could take away the onestep but I don't. Also the Anderson levelers act as a wheel chock too - I applied grip tape to them to make them more stable. Some owners say they slide on the ground sometimes when driving up to them but others have never had issues. You can lay down a rubber matt under them to help if you feel you need it.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
I don't see why one would affect the other. The x chocks are great for stability, while the Andersons are great for easy leveling. I use both.

That's my last step after unhitching and putting down the jacks. I always remove them before hooking back up. I figure raising and lowering the nose could put tension on them.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I use the Anderson levels on one side and a X chock on the other.

I put the X chock in before unhitching and don't take it out until after I rehitch....just like I would any other chock.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #7
UnklJoe

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
X-chock & Andersen Levelers

I use the Andersen Levelers on one side (the "low" side) which are kind of wheel chocks, also. I'll admit, I was skeptical about them when I first saw them at an RV show, but they are brilliant! So easy for leveling. I ordered them in a pair, and they came with rubber mats to put down under them to stop them from moving when driving up or backing up on the them.

Once the trailer is leveled, I will usually put at least one rubber wheel chock on the other side of the trailer from the levelers, put down the stabilizer jacks, and then put the X-chocks in on both sides. I don't use them as wheel chocks to keep the trailer from moving; they prevent the "groaning"/creaking when walking in the trailer after the stabilizer jacks are down. I was skeptical about them, too--but they virtually eliminate the noises when moving around inside the trailer!

Again, I don't really consider the X-chocks to be wheel chocks in the strict sense of the term. In fact, the instructions say not to tighten them too much or they will damage the tires. I believe they are more for quieting the trailer when moving around inside--and that they do very, very well.

I'm looking at the Fastway Onestep as the chock for the side opposite the Levelers; the fact they can be locked into place, have the cable/cord and can be adjusted once and used many times makes then seem like the ideal wheel chock for camping as well as storage.
UnklJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I have a pair of the onesteps that I use at home when parked but I only take one of the road with us.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I use Andersens to level the trailer from side-to-side, then the X chocks on both sides for stability. I have learned to put the X-chocks in before I unhook and remove them after hooking up. More than once I have had the trailer "migrate" enough to slide the jack post off the block on which it rested and slip into soft sand or wet soil. Experience taught me to keep the wheels firmly locked in place before raising or lowering the jack.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post
I use Andersens to level the trailer from side-to-side, then the X chocks on both sides for stability. I have learned to put the X-chocks in before I unhook and remove them after hooking up. More than once I have had the trailer "migrate" enough to slide the jack post off the block on which it rested and slip into soft sand or wet soil. Experience taught me to keep the wheels firmly locked in place before raising or lowering the jack.

Are you using the red chock under the andersons? You should pull a little past level, put the chock underneath, then back off.

To reduce sliding you might get a rubber mat they sell.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I use both Andersons (for leveling... and of course only on one side) and x-chocks (on both sides mostly to keep the trailer from rolling away but also for stability and comfort when camping).

I put both in place while the trailer is hitched and don't remove either until it's re-hitched to the truck. Unlike most 'streamers, we rarely use the stabilizers.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:00 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
Sliding levelers

On occasion, I disconnect the trailer umbilical/electric cord from the tow vehicle. this prevents the trailer brakes from working so that the trailer wheels do not push on the levelers, or blocks as the case may be.

Dwight
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #13
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnklJoe View Post
I use the Andersen Levelers on one side (the "low" side) which are kind of wheel chocks, also. I'll admit, I was skeptical about them when I first saw them at an RV show, but they are brilliant! So easy for leveling. I ordered them in a pair, and they came with rubber mats to put down under them to stop them from moving when driving up or backing up on the them.

Once the trailer is leveled, I will usually put at least one rubber wheel chock on the other side of the trailer from the levelers, put down the stabilizer jacks, and then put the X-chocks in on both sides. I don't use them as wheel chocks to keep the trailer from moving; they prevent the "groaning"/creaking when walking in the trailer after the stabilizer jacks are down. I was skeptical about them, too--but they virtually eliminate the noises when moving around inside the trailer!

Again, I don't really consider the X-chocks to be wheel chocks in the strict sense of the term. In fact, the instructions say not to tighten them too much or they will damage the tires. I believe they are more for quieting the trailer when moving around inside--and that they do very, very well.

I'm looking at the Fastway Onestep as the chock for the side opposite the Levelers; the fact they can be locked into place, have the cable/cord and can be adjusted once and used many times makes then seem like the ideal wheel chock for camping as well as storage.

Couple the Andersen Levelers with the LevelMatePRO and it's a wonderful combination. My DW is so very happy that I can level the trailer without her involvement. Place the levelers on the low side, pull forward and watch the indicator on my iPhone and I know when I'm level.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Couple the Andersen Levelers with the LevelMatePRO and it's a wonderful combination. My DW is so very happy that I can level the trailer without her involvement. Place the levelers on the low side, pull forward and watch the indicator on my iPhone and I know when I'm level.

Same here!!!
Old 04-30-2022, 07:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
LOL, I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of that. I really liked those fastaways, but figured they would be problematic where I needed to use my Anderson levelers, but you could still have one of them on the opposite side. Genius.

I’m curious though you use X-Chocks on both sides, plus the Fastaway? You find that using both is better than just the Fastaway?
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 09:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Issue with XChocks

My only issue with X-Chocks is you shouldn’t use them as chocks, it says it right on the box. It also warns you not to level the trailer once installed.
Hensley makes a pair that you use as chocks, designed for an immense amount of stress. I level using the Andersen’s, then install the Hensley’s and crank them down. You then use the TV to pull the stinger out of the hitch, which requires a bit of throttle. I level the trailer with the Hensley’s installed and the trailer stays planted, zero movement.
I highly recommend them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03D5DC40-08AD-4D86-9EBC-132C19248A9E.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	362.1 KB
ID:	415308