Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Amarillo Walmart parking

Looking for advice. Is the walmart on I-40 and S Grand st safe for overnight parking?
Or any other recommendations for one night.
Thanks
Old 09-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
SW Florida , Florida
That is not the best neighborhood . Take a couple days and go to the State Park Palo Duro Canyon a few miles south of the Wal Mart. There are three or four commercial parks right off the interstate. I do not remember the names the best park is on the west end of Amarillo a Loves fuel stop same exit. Do a search on the Canyon...you will love it

Graduate of 1968 SE Asia school of jungle warfare Duc Pho campus
tailpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . what he said.. . . .Not a good area, maybe try the KOA, although I haven't seen it in years. Palo Duro Canyon is neat place, if you have time, Regards, Craig
Old 09-16-2013, 04:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Try a Cracker Barrel. There most likely is one nearby, they have RV parking and every manager I've spoken with didn't mind overnighters. Ask and good luck.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
As long as you're in the Amarillo area, you've got to stop at the Big Texan restaurant. Home of the 72oz. steak. If you can eat it all by yourself in one hour, plus a baked potato and a dinner salad, it's free. I tried. I failed. But it was delicious, and the doggy bag kept me going for another whole meal.

Plenty of room to park your trailer, but not likely to allow overnights since there's a motel right next door. Still, can't hurt to contact them and ask…
Old 09-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I work for the Big Texan (BTSR) -there is free parking over night at the very back. And you would want to exit on 75 (Lakeside)... and then come up the hill to BTSR.
There are all ways over nighters in the Walmart parking lot also-Walmart is about 1 mile west of BTSR on the Grand street exit. It's a big safe parking area. About the only threat to you would be a panhandler. But they come through here all the time and they know the rules and will back off if you repel them. We are parked at the Over niter on South Lakeside.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
check out the Amarillo Ranch RV Park just off I-40. We stayed 1 night last year. Nice park, friendly staff and paid just under $30.00 for the night. The Big Texan runs a limo between the restaurant and the park.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Do what Bill says....at the Steak House. If not, the State Visitors Center on the State Line toward New Mexico is Huge, clean, safe.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
As long as you're in the Amarillo area, you've got to stop at the Big Texan restaurant. Home of the 72oz. steak. If you can eat it all by yourself in one hour, plus a baked potato and a dinner salad, it's free. I tried. I failed. But it was delicious, and the doggy bag kept me going for another whole meal.

Plenty of room to park your trailer, but not likely to allow overnights since there's a motel right next door. Still, can't hurt to contact them and ask…
I went there. Couldn't finish the salad, fed my dog for three days on the steak and gave the potato to a homeless guy. But then, I only weigh 135 lbs. Good visit all around.
WBCCI #31443

"Don't follow me.
I've spent my life leading folks astray."
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Don't know what all the fuss is about. We stayed at that Walmart last year enroute to the Balloon Fest in ABQ. There were over 20 other RV's parked with us that night. We had plenty of company.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Always dreaming

1963 26' Overlander
Lake Zurich , Illinois
So, I am wondering when one would like to overnight at someplace like the Walmart or the steak restaurant, how does that happen? I've read that you need to have permission from a manager to do so. So do you just go inside and (buy a steak) and ask to speak to him or her? Do you need to have written permission or just verbal? Is overnighting in a Walmart safe for a single woman traveler?
Everonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We go inside an see if it's ok to park even if rhe lot is full of rv's.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
For safety I would rather be around some other RV'ers than be off to myself. Safety in numbers. We have stayed at a lot of Walmarts with no problems.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I took a picture this morning in the Walmart parking here in Amarillo...two trucks with an Airstream nestled in between. They headed east on their exit. People park in the Big Texan all the time! over nite - and some times for a while. The owners of BTSR are Big Hearted guys (Danny and Bobby Lee). Only thing to watch about BTSR is after a rain storm it will be muddy to a certain degree, and it's a clay type mud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1824.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	196659   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1825.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	196660  

Old 09-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We have never stayed at Walmart but we are staying at Amarillo Ranch RV Park on Sunset near I 40 and it is nice, lots of rv's here and some Airsteams too. Good internet, cable and reasonable.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
RV parks are nice, but if you're literally pulling in, crawling into the bed, sleeping 7-8 hours and leaving without needing air conditioning water or a dump site, $20 or $30 or more is a bit much to pay.

Depends if I'm concentrating on the trip or the destination. If just trying to "get there" the only amenity I need is safety and quiet. ...And I'll negotiate on the quiet too. I'm from Virginia Beach and one of the nicest parks in the area is at the eastern end of Naval Air Station Oceana's main runway. Try to sleep there when the squadrons are practicing nightime "touch-and-go" landings. I've learned to hum "Highway to the Danger Zone" and drop off, no problems. Wally World or Cracker Barrel is fine - I do always have the courtesy to have breakfast at Cracker Barrel, and there's always something I can buy (usually drinking water) before I get underway at WalMart.

Paula
Old 09-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Amarillo Visitors Center offers free dry camping, bathroom facilities available.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I always feel a lot safer in Texas ,than I do anywhere in Illinois. Seems like lots of evil doers get shot in Texas.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #19
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
I always feel a lot safer in Texas ,than I do anywhere in Illinois. Seems like lots of evil doers get shot in Texas.
I'm a native Texan and I was always taught that, as long as the body drops on my side of the doorway, it's all good.

Be that as it may...as a woman traveling solo...I'll go places my mother won't because she doesn't feel safe whereas I would....

If you don't feel safe, don't stay. Learn to trust your intuition. It's not a bad way to scope out a situation.

I will also say this...sometimes you have to be willing to put up with uncomfortable situations in order for them to eventually become comfortable. Taking a reasonable risk isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Julianne
Nolavalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
"...Is overnighting in a Walmart safe for a single woman traveler? "

The parking lot is well lighted, it is being monitored with video, there are usually employees getting shopping buggys all night, many have a roving security guard, customers are coming and going all night long, your locked inside an aluminum tube, You have a cell phone, the bad guys don't know if'n your armed or if you are a psycho, with the lites out you can see out but no one can see in, there are usually other rv'ers overnighting, from 1 to 4 AM a sweeper/vacuume truck cleans the lot,

What could go wrong ???

Seriously, I have never heard a credible story of anyone being accosted while inside their RV in a Wal Mart parking lot. Simple rule: Don't open the door for anyone. Just because a panhandler comes knocking, don't feel obligated to open the door. Keep the door locked and shout that you'll call the police if they don't leave.