Old 09-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
We have never stayed at Walmart but we are staying at Amarillo Ranch RV Park on Sunset near I 40 and it is nice, lots of rv's here and some Airsteams too. Good internet, cable and reasonable.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
RV parks are nice, but if you're literally pulling in, crawling into the bed, sleeping 7-8 hours and leaving without needing air conditioning water or a dump site, $20 or $30 or more is a bit much to pay.

Depends if I'm concentrating on the trip or the destination. If just trying to "get there" the only amenity I need is safety and quiet. ...And I'll negotiate on the quiet too. I'm from Virginia Beach and one of the nicest parks in the area is at the eastern end of Naval Air Station Oceana's main runway. Try to sleep there when the squadrons are practicing nightime "touch-and-go" landings. I've learned to hum "Highway to the Danger Zone" and drop off, no problems. Wally World or Cracker Barrel is fine - I do always have the courtesy to have breakfast at Cracker Barrel, and there's always something I can buy (usually drinking water) before I get underway at WalMart.

Paula

Old 09-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Amarillo Visitors Center offers free dry camping, bathroom facilities available.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
I always feel a lot safer in Texas ,than I do anywhere in Illinois. Seems like lots of evil doers get shot in Texas.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #19
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
I always feel a lot safer in Texas ,than I do anywhere in Illinois. Seems like lots of evil doers get shot in Texas.
I'm a native Texan and I was always taught that, as long as the body drops on my side of the doorway, it's all good.

Be that as it may...as a woman traveling solo...I'll go places my mother won't because she doesn't feel safe whereas I would....

If you don't feel safe, don't stay. Learn to trust your intuition. It's not a bad way to scope out a situation.

I will also say this...sometimes you have to be willing to put up with uncomfortable situations in order for them to eventually become comfortable. Taking a reasonable risk isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Julianne
Old 09-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
"...Is overnighting in a Walmart safe for a single woman traveler? "

The parking lot is well lighted, it is being monitored with video, there are usually employees getting shopping buggys all night, many have a roving security guard, customers are coming and going all night long, your locked inside an aluminum tube, You have a cell phone, the bad guys don't know if'n your armed or if you are a psycho, with the lites out you can see out but no one can see in, there are usually other rv'ers overnighting, from 1 to 4 AM a sweeper/vacuume truck cleans the lot,

What could go wrong ???

Seriously, I have never heard a credible story of anyone being accosted while inside their RV in a Wal Mart parking lot. Simple rule: Don't open the door for anyone. Just because a panhandler comes knocking, don't feel obligated to open the door. Keep the door locked and shout that you'll call the police if they don't leave.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I feel safer there than places without lighting and people around, for a simple and convenient night's sleep.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
We were on the road for three days. Needed a good night sleep and a good long hot shower. So we decided Walmart was out. Stopped to eat at 'The Big Texan'. It just so happened that the table next to us were staying at the 'Amarillo RV Ranch'. They said it looked full. So I called and got a recording. 'Find a spot and we will settle in the morning'. Decided not to rush through my stake. (No not the 72oz). When we pulled into the RV park there was a sign in the office window 'no vacancy' along with a few reserved late comers info. So I drove through looking for empty sites to compare site numbers to the late comer list. Thinking if there is an extra, I'll take it. When I came back around to the office, one of the workers saw me and said 'we're full but how many nights did you need?' I only needed one. 'Well then, if you don't mind backing up take #10 here and pay in the morning'. So morning came with a very good night sleep, a very nice hot shower and free coffee and donuts. I went to pay only to find out I was given someone's seasonal site. They were not showing up for a couple of days. And to add to the wonderful service and very warming hospitality, even though it was a full hookup site that I took the opportunity to empty my tanks for being on the road for three days, they only charged me for a dry site.
I just love places like that.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Re: 'Amarillo RV Ranch'
We'll be passing thru there in a month or so, always stop at the Big Texan, this time we'll overnite at the 'Amarillo RV Ranch', just 'cause they are nice folks. A happy customer is the kind of advertising money just can't buy!